Tube amp 80k who makes it

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I need some help who makes a really good tube amp that goes for about 80 k. It can be mono blocks
But top shelf quality for large speakers with low imp.

Al

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I need some help who makes a really good tube amp that goes for about 80 k. It can be mono blocks

Al

Al,

Unfortunately my favorites are well under 80k - the Audio Research REF750 and, depending on how low is the impedance of the speakers, the Atma-Sphere MA2 OTLs. Both with the matching preamplifiers.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Al

If I was going to spend 80K on the amplifier you partially describe, I would definitely want to audition the amplifiers [& appropriate preamp] with the same speakers you will use.

I like Tubes & SS; depends on the components. There is no Magic Correct answer, but a blend consisting of your ears & brain, the room, the components, etc.

Also - service is HELL; consider that when buying components.

Currently I am using tubes & high efficiency speakers - the main reason - weight. My previous SS & speakers created a whale.

OK, OK, where is the recommendation - tell us the speakers & the type of sound you expect - e.g. 300B liquid midrange or magnificent dynamics that lift the roof off the house etc.

zz.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Speakers infinity IRS v. Yes the big old ones. Lol. Now I have old krells mono blocks with a krell preamp.
And thanks for replying.
Al

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Tube Preamp; Keep the monoblocks

Speakers infinity IRS v. Yes the big old ones. Lol. Now I have old krells mono blocks with a krell preamp.
And thanks for replying.
Al

I had Dunntech Sovereigns [the 7 footers] with old [the good ones] Krell monoblocks -the system worked & sounded great but VERY Heavy [weight]..

So, if you do not like the current sound switch to an excellent tube preamp & save 70K [do I get a savings commission? ;) ].

zz.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Probably the best I've heard are the Seigfrieds and Tube Research Labs

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
And thanks for replying.
Al

Interesting...I would love to hear more about your views about that speaker...I specifically have been doing research on it since the Genesis 1.1 and Arrakis 2 are my 2 fav speakers that I have heard...ever. so congrats...I liken the IRS V to the Genesis 1.1 and some have said they prefer your version in the mids/treble (EMIT tweeters?).

In any event, with that kind of set up, are you able to use Zanden 9600 Monos (60K)? or 2 sets of Zanden 9600 Monos second hand)? I have heard them...they are not Krells, but they are extremely nuanced, extended and powerful within the scale of a 100 watt mono...many have pegged them as natural competitors to the mighty Lamm ML3 Ref monos which cost 130K. I have spoken with a reviewer or 2 and a member here who has heard both...and they all felt they are indeed close competitors.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Probably the best I've heard are the Seigfrieds and Tube Research Labs

There is currently a pair of VTL Siegfried Reference's at audiogon at a very low price price. If they were in Europe I would find difficult to resist!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If I was going to spend 80K on the amplifier you partially describe, I would definitely want to audition the amplifiers [& appropriate preamp] with the same speakers you will use.

I like Tubes & SS; depends on the components. There is no Magic Correct answer, but a blend consisting of your ears & brain, the room, the components, etc.

Also - service is HELL; consider that when buying components.

Currently I am using tubes & high efficiency speakers - the main reason - weight. My previous SS & speakers created a whale.

OK, OK, where is the recommendation - tell us the speakers & the type of sound you expect - e.g. 300B liquid midrange or magnificent dynamics that lift the roof off the house etc.

zz.

Agreed, but the Infinities have always sounded much better with tubes on top. Remember the amp isn't running full range here too.

Many, many good suggestions and would add to the excellent list cj ART (not 80k but cj always sounds great on the Vs), the big CAT amps, Jadis JA-500s (doesn't look the 800s are made any more) and Tenor 350Ms. You also might think of trying to listen to the new Doshi amps before making a decision.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed, but the Infinities have always sounded much better with tubes on top. Remember the amp isn't running full range here too.

Many, many good suggestions and would add to the excellent list cj ART (not 80k but cj always sounds great on the Vs), the big CAT amps, Jadis JA-500s (doesn't look the 800s are made any more) and Tenor 350Ms. You also might think of trying to listen to the new Doshi amps before making a decision.

Interesting Myles...do they need high current or high wattage to drive them ideally? I am aware the bass amps handle the towers, but given how much panel there is to drive, I am curious. I am also intrigued to hear the CJ amps someday given my own experience owning several CJ preamps and 1 CJ amp over the years.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting Myles...do they need high current or high wattage to drive them ideally? I am aware the bass amps handle the towers, but given how much panel there is to drive, I am curious. I am also intrigued to hear the CJ amps someday given my own experience owning several CJ preamps and 1 CJ amp over the years.

Lloyd don't have the answer.

While back there were 5 or 6 IRS V owners that I knew around the area in addition to HP. Only SS amp ever liked on the IRS was the ML 23 that HP used a long, long time ago. That system with the SP11, Goldmund Ref/Koetsu was one of the best sounds ever heard at Harry's.

Perhaps Gary can weigh in since he currently uses IRSs.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Please understand the 80k was just a limit. Meaning I am sure there are viable amps at 200k but I would not go that high. And I am sure cheaper ones too. I have this setup for about 30 years. And so I figure rather than start all over it's simpler to buy a tube amp . As infinity recommend them as well. But keep in mind the tube recommendation really stems from the irs3. As this was a little too bright and the tubes tamed it. These are the last run v series it has the newer woofer towers with 1.6 or 8 ohms load and thus a 2 k amp on each side for the woofers. And they are high current as well for the mids and tweeters. The magnets on mine are not peeling as some models have this issue to. There were many sub sets of production on these models too. The setup was bought used by me as a set from an estate sale . It has only moved once since purchase. I have listened to many other speakers and the genesis is on my list. As I really do feel this is the natural evolution of these speakers and I am sure what Gary l koe has done is monumental in all ways. I think we do all hear different and it is not just taste . Example I have heard at length Wilson audio and it just does not do it for me. Given they are spectacular it must be me. Thanks for the interesting thoughts. When and if I go through with this I will post results and I am many more questions. Thanks
Al

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
One of the amps that HP raved about with his V's was the CJ Premier One. I had a chance to listen to one a few years ago, matched to IRS BETA's...a superb sound.I would suspect that on your V's it would be still very tough to beat and here's the plus, this one isn't going to put you back $80K.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
One of the amps that HP raved about with his V's was the CJ Premier One. I had a chance to listen to one a few years ago, matched to IRS BETA's...a superb sound.I would suspect that on your V's it would be still very tough to beat and here's the plus, this one isn't going to put you back $80K.

The Premier 1 is extremely dated sounding. Good in its day but very rolled off in the upper octaves among other things.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Myles, have you heard one recently? I know that sometimes we can fall into the trap that since a piece is old, it has to sound..."dated sounding". When I heard the Prem 1 with the IRS BETA's, it wasn't sounding rolled off...perhaps NOT the last word in transparency and certainly NOT as "precise" as some of the new ss designs....BUT still a very synergistic match with the Infinities. Which is why I suggested it as a good match to the IRS V's.
One of the other things that i think a lot of people tend to do in this hobby is assume that the gear they heard ( many times decades ago) has to sound the way it did in those days....however, with today's newer cabling, newer tubes and other ancillaries, some of this gear can still really shine and put a lot of the new stuff to shame. All IMHO....naturally:D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, have you heard one recently? I know that sometimes we can fall into the trap that since a piece is old, it has to sound..."dated sounding". When I heard the Prem 1 with the IRS BETA's, it wasn't sounding rolled off...perhaps NOT the last word in transparency and certainly NOT as "precise" as some of the new ss designs....BUT still a very synergistic match with the Infinities. Which is why I suggested it as a good match to the IRS V's.
One of the other things that i think a lot of people tend to do in this hobby is assume that the gear they heard ( many times decades ago) has to sound the way it did in those days....however, with today's newer cabling, newer tubes and other ancillaries, some of this gear can still really shine and put a lot of the new stuff to shame. All IMHO....naturally:D

Actually yes I have. And recapped too. It's still a dated design. The cj Prem 5 monoblocks were a far better amp back then. So are the recapped Prem 8s Shane uses. BTW, I have spent time with every cj amp made from the MV75A-1 on.

BTW, why would new tubes be better??? Better 6FQ7s? Definitely not. Better 5751s? No there too. Better than the old GE 6550s? GEs weren't the best back then (the original Gold Lion KT88s were better) but they're better than most anything made nowadays. Most new tubes today are hunks of junk.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This is why I posted this here. The diversity and educational facts is fantastic. And yes I am thinking the amps are old and there should be something better. But the complexities is what is confusing. The room is is treated but not by a pro
It has the useful amenities , Absorption and diffusion . I would definitely buy used if possible but not something very old like what I have.

Al

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Actually yes I have. And recapped too. It's still a dated design. The cj Prem 5 monoblocks were a far better amp back then. So are the recapped Prem 8s Shane uses. BTW, I have spent time with every cj amp made from the MV75A-1 on.

BTW, why would new tubes be better??? Better 6FQ7s? Definitely not. Better 5751s? No there too. Better than the old GE 6550s? GEs weren't the best back then (the original Gold Lion KT88s were better) but they're better than most anything made nowadays. Most new tubes today are hunks of junk.

If I remember correctly, HP enthused over the Premier 1 because of the authority it had in the bottom two octaves. It was always reviewed as having a somewhat soft/rolled-off top end. I believe starting with the MV-125, CJ made a major change to their output transformers which resulted in better sound from top to bottom. I'm sure Myles has some info about the better output transformers.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
BTW, why would new tubes be better???today are hunks of junk.

When I refer to newer tubes I am actually referring to fresher tubes. Not worn out tubes. Myles,I do agree that today's tubes are but a mere shadow of their predecessor's.

Since Al wants a newer design, then I would suggest the ARC Ref 150 or better still the ARC Ref 750's as already suggested. If I remember correctly, the IRS V's are a fairly inefficient design, so no wimpy SET's need apply.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gary should jump in here and give his recommendation(s).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing