Little Big Man

Rain Man

Shane

Hud

I'm sure I'll think of more....

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Shane is in color. Forgive me for the choice of words here, but yes, black and white movies can look awesome on blu-ray.

Casablanca, Raging Bull, The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951), The Third Man -- fabulous!

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
don't know why I thought it was B&B

I remember seeing that movie as a kid and the impact it had on me

Yeah, I've probably seen Shane about twenty times -- IMO, it still holds up.

I've probably watched it five times in just the past ten years.

Love to have it on blu-ray.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Take one look at Casablanca and you see that black and white films also shine on Blu-ray. Film has resolution above blu-ray let alone DVD: color or not.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sin City is another Black and white movie that looks and sounds incredible on blu-ray. Definitely demo quality. Outrageous detail -- and it's fun to watch.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Big Night.

Blue Velvet.

Jacob's Ladder

Lost in Translation

The Virgin Suicides

Rear Window

It Happened One Night

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The first movie I ever saw was "Song of the South". (Zippity do dah). Add War of the Worlds;

Steve, how can anyone ever forget the line: "Shane!! Come back Shane!" I don't know if it was the age at which I saw the movie or the way in which that line was spoken, but it has stuck with me for 50 years !

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The first movie I ever saw was "Song of the South". (Zippity do dah). Add War of the Worlds;

Steve, how can anyone ever forget the line: "Shane!! Come back Shane!" I don't know if it was the age at which I saw the movie or the way in which that line was spoken, but it has stuck with me for 50 years !

I remember as you did that line and the lump it left in my stomach as the movie ended

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Another western movie that left an impact on me when I saw it growing up was High Noon from 1952 with Gary Cooper

Not sure if it is available on BluRay

[video]http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3824354073/[/video]

with that haunting theme song

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes, put High Noon on this list, too.

Another one that I return to every few years and which always rewards another viewing.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Double Indemnity.

Witness

DOA (1950)

Heaven Can Wait

The Incredible Mr. Limpet

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A format is not a format until Star Wars comes out on it :). Most interest is in the original that started the series....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing