Relay for high current amp

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I figured there are a lot of very knowledgeable designers hanging around here so let me ask here. I have 200 wpc channel class A amps (Jungson) and the on/off switch cannot handle the spike in current when switched on, so the contacts melt together and it fails. My technician put in a relay to turn it on/off, which held out OK for a year or so, but now this blew up as well. We are looking for a higher amperage relay, but they tend to be noisy (hum), which is unacceptable. Is anyone aware of high current relay for audiophile application (i.e. very low noise) that I can use to build into my amps?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I figured there are a lot of very knowledgeable designers hanging around here so let me ask here. I have 200 wpc channel class A amps (Jungson) and the on/off switch cannot handle the spike in current when switched on, so the contacts melt together and it fails. My technician put in a relay to turn it on/off, which held out OK for a year or so, but now this blew up as well. We are looking for a higher amperage relay, but they tend to be noisy (hum), which is unacceptable. Is anyone aware of high current relay for audiophile application (i.e. very low noise) that I can use to build into my amps?

I had good experience with Magnecraft power relays - completely silent. As far as I remember VTL uses them in their big amplifiers slow start system.
http://www.serelays.com/library/magnecraft-catalogs/8501CT1003.pdf

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Edorr. It's not just the current it s the type of load it's pure inductive. And it sparks when it opens and this is what is burning it up. The relay you need must be for a Ac or dc motor. And the dc rating is more important then the Ac . As dc arches more so the relay will have to act fast and move a bigger distance . And silent relay I think would not be suitable . They must click to move fast and open fast. But no humming.

Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Edorr. It's not just the current it s the type of load it's pure inductive. And it sparks when it opens and this is what is burning it up. The relay you need must be for a Ac or dc motor. And the dc rating is more important then the Ac . As dc arches more so the relay will have to act fast and move a bigger distance . And silent relay I think would not be suitable . They must click to move fast and open fast. But no humming.

Al

I'm pretty clueless about this stuff. If you have a specific recommendation for a particular relay I'll pass it on ti my technician...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I will find you a source. Give me till the morning. Also it's 125 volt 60 cycles USA is this correct ?

Al

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm pretty clueless about this stuff. If you have a specific recommendation for a particular relay I'll pass it on ti my technician...

We will need some extra information - what is the voltage you apply to the coil to control the relay?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
A SS relay will not hum, and very few power relays I have seen/used hum unless they are defective. That said, you can always manage to get a bad one...

Some SS relays include a soft-start circuit to limit in-rush current. My old ARC amplifier also had a resistor that reduced in-rush current when you turned on the switch, then the relay inside would short it out after a brief delay. That sort of circuit should prevent relay destruction. You might suggest your tech add a soft-start circuit (usually just a series resistor) that the relay shorts. That would save wear and tear on the amp and the relay.

Most electronics supply houses carry a variety of relays but I don't have any specific recommendations. I am sure none of them say "audiophile rated", however, as that is not by and large their target market. Ask your tech to check out Allied, Digikey, Mouser, Newark, etc. I understand your, and his, dilemma -- there are hundreds of relays in the 20 to 40 A range. Except for the specific suggestions above, perhaps your tech could call or email one of the distributors and ask what they suggest? I would probably drop an email to all and see what they recommend.

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
For that type of duty it is not unusual to use a two pole switch and put the two poles in series (yes series), then when the switch opens you're asking the arc to jump two air gaps. As the switch opens it looks like the switch is opening at 2x the rate.

Cyclotronguy

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks for bringing this back alive. I still have not solved my problem, and my relays are currently melted together and I switch my amps on and off by unplugging the powercords. I'll send this to my technician and see if he can engineer a solution.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I suggest using a snubber circuit across the switch contacts.
Something like a 100nF X2 type capacitor with a 100 Ohm resistor in series.
See https://www.buerklin.com/datenblaetter/D105640_TD.pdf?ch=30728 for a device integrating both components.
Your tech will know, when you show him...
It'll cost about 2 bucks plus the new switch.
The switch should survive you now...

Happy listening, Marin

Thanks Marin,

My technician actually found very quiet 40A relays and will be putting these in. Since my existing relays are both toasted, your solution would be far more cost effective if my existing relays still worked, but since he has to reinstall new relays anyway getting the heavier duty ones will cost the same (most of the cost is labor). Thanks for looking into this though!

marin

Nov 17, 2013
Munich-Germany
You may want to add the snubbers across the relay contacts then, will prolong their lives too!
The additional cost is next to nothing.
Enjoy...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing