New product teaser - Purity does it again

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
Purity has always strived to bring new ideas to market. Over the past couple years, my partner has been pushing me to design a product he has wanted to see come to life. A couple years back, Purity released what was at the time the first audiophile grade, fully balanced tube buffer......the Harmony.

Well here we are in 2014 and we have done it again. Soon to be officially debuted (Axpona 2014 maybe*), will be the first reference grade tube buffer designed around the infamous 300B tube.

For several months now, I have been enjoying the sound of a fully balanced 300B buffer in my system. Stay tuned for more information on the "MELOS". The web page has not yet been publically published but will be shortly.

This is a very unique product and we are confident it has the potential to change the lives of passionate music lovers.As a side note, the MELOS will be available in both balanced and single ended versions.

Questions & Comments welcome.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you Bill,

Looking forward to more info and photos of the Melos buffer. I'm interested.

Last edited:

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
Here is a link to the web page for the MELOS 300B buffer. Please keep in mind this page is still under develpment and further details and production model pictures will be added. The rendering shown is pretty much to scale. We are just waiting on our production chassis to be delivered.

http://www.purityaudiodesign.com/300bbuffer.htm

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Very Interesting , has the retail been fixed ?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My only comment is that you are using the name "Melos" which may be confusing to some people who remember the Melos brand of tube electronics that has since gone out of business. I wouldn't want any product of mine to share that name and have it boldly displayed on the front of the product. Melos didn't have a good reputation for reliability and there is a reason why that brand faded away into the dustbin of audio history.

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
Very Interesting , has the retail been fixed

We will be posting the pricing very soon. Maybe later this evening.

My only comment is that you are using the name "Melos"

My only comment is that you are using the name "Melos"

I dont think that will be much of a problem. Everyone will realize it is a Purity product and has no association with the defunked Melos audio.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I dont think that will be much of a problem. Everyone will realize it is a Purity product and has no association with the defunked Melos audio.

I hope you are right. If I came out with a new car, I wouldn't name it Edsel.

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
I just spoke with my partner and we would consider a name change if we can get it in before the panels get machines with the names. Probably early next week. We'llbe talking about it this weekend.

As far as pricing, we were going to hold off for a little bit but we are starting to receive quite a few inquiries on this unit from the word spreading.

The pricing is as follows:
Full balanced version:$5,495 (transformer coupled inputs and outputs includng single ended
Single ended version:$4,495

We are going to start taking pre-orders next week. Dealer's units will be heading out by the end of February.

Last edited:

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
Great concept but.........I don't think so. I will say thank you to those who chimed in on the Melos name situation. Quite a few emails came through on this topic.

Now back to our regular scheduled program....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Great concept but.........I don't think so. I will say thank you to those who chimed in on the Melos name situation. Quite a few emails came through on this topic.

Now back to our regular scheduled program....

Yea, but I think I was the first one.

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
Our chassis are due to arrive within the next week or two at which time we will provide pictures of the production units. Till then, here is a quick rendering of how the new Harmonia 300B buffer will look. The chassis is 15" wide.

HARMONIA-WEB-RENDER2.jpg

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Our chassis are due to arrive within the next week or two at which time we will provide pictures of the production units. Till then, here is a quick rendering of how the new Harmonia 300B buffer will look. The chassis is 15" wide.

View attachment 13989

What tubes are standard with the order? Did you spend time listening to various ones to settle on the chosen tube? What features did you look for in the selected tube? (availability, reliability, sound characteristics, etc.)

Dre

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I think mep does merit more than a passing mention for averting a marketing gaffe !

The new page needs a small cleanup ...". The MELOS has an extremely low noise floor resulting in a jet black background. "

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
I think mep does merit more than a passing mention for averting a marketing gaffe !

Mep and I are good. We communicated via PM.

The new page needs a small cleanup ...". The MELOS has an extremely low noise floor resulting in a jet black background. "

Yes. we are still working on the page as several details and 'wording' still need to be address. It has not yet been published. The line you mentioned above was taken care of last night. You may need to just refresh.

What tubes are standard with the order? Did you spend time listening to various ones to settle on the chosen tube? What features did you look for in the selected tube? (availability, reliability, sound characteristics, etc.)

We have listened to many 300B tube types. The tubes that will be supplied with this model will be the EH300B. This tube was chosen as a standard due to it being a very good sounding 300B that is readily available (at decent pricing) and reliable. We realize everyone will have preferences for 300B tubes which is why we decided not to use expensive models. Our 300B Ultra mono bloc amplifiers come equipped with very expensive Sophia Electric tubes but this is a much higher priced product.
We wanted to provide a good sounding unit from the start which would allow consumers to get a feel for the sound before investing in expensive tubes.
What we may consider to be the best sounding tubes may not be in line with what our customers would want so we don't want them to have to pay for expensive tubes they will not use in the long run.

In fact, we will likely be using the Sophia Globe 300B's at Axpona.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Any other gains to be had , other than ensuring a proper impedance match , will it enhance an already tube based component ?

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
Hi Jazz,
We have done a lot of listening with the Harmonia in various systems from all tube, all solid state and combinations. I only use a Purity tube preamplifier in my system on a regular basis with solid state amplification but when using it in an all tube system, regardless of the tubes used in other components, you always get more of the 300B fullness and richness in the midrange that everyone craves about the 300B tube. At the same time, it does not sacrifice air and extension. I use mine between my solid state CD/SACD and solid state DVD player and the preamplifier as I love what it does for harmonic richness of solid state source components.

The proper impedance matching is simply a bonus as with most any buffer design. The Harmonia, as well as the 6922 based Harmony, were designed for sonic benefits moreso than impedance matching. The 6922 Harmony is now found in all types of system and we suspect the Harmonia will as well.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Bill,

Are you bringing one of your preamp masterpieces to the show ? I will not be there, but perhaps that will open up the possibility of a demo unit being available for audition down the road.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing