Spectral Voltage conversion

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Yes, but it implies that in 110V it would be using only half of the primary - some people consider it a poor practice.

Then Accuphase must be a shitty gear ;) Most (all ?) Accuphase compononts have separate primaries not only for 115 / 230V, but also for 100V. So at each given voltage, 2/3 of the primaries sits unused. And they are not the only manufacturer using this technique.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Then Accuphase must be a shitty gear ;) Most (all ?) Accuphase compononts have separate primaries not only for 115 / 230V, but also for 100V. So at each given voltage, 2/3 of the primaries sits unused. And they are not the only manufacturer using this technique.

Surely not, although I have very little experience with Accuphase. But they must have their reasons to prefer separate windings to tapped windings. Anyway it was why I said "some people". I think that some manufacturers will prefer it on the basis of convenience. Surely dedicated transformers for each voltage and mains frequency must be the best of the best, unless we are considering switching power supplies! ;)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Definately. But it gets very expensive - basicly, you have to keep 3x the stock of every component (unless you make everything to order only).

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy
As I would buy a 30 ss series II from Usa, it is very kind of you ( if possible) to find a definitive solution to this question: easy rewirings ot not?
Thanks in advance.
Piero

arteck

Dec 2, 2014
Also I will appreciate it very much if someone can let me know that how the voltage can be converted from 110V to 230V. Thanks

alecm

Apr 5, 2015
Hi Elberoth and all,
thank you for pointing out regarding voltage conversion.
I bought 15SS 110V recently and need to change it on 220V.
Could anyone help with appropriate photo of jumper set J11 for 230V?

Please see the photo 15ss for 110V

http://imgur.com/GlzYUev

geppo

Oct 27, 2010
The issue with the input fuse is not the current rating but the safety certification of the product. One thing is to make the preamp work with the other mains voltage, another thing is to maintain its safety certification valid in a different market than the intended one. Some component may be different depending on the geographical area of destination. The market value of a non-certifiable product is zero. In other words, it cannot be legally sold, either new or used. Safety related components are listed in the product test report done by a Competent Body. Anything different, although functionally equivalent, just doesn't "work".

Just my 2 cents

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Hi Elberoth and all,
thank you for pointing out regarding voltage conversion.
I bought 15SS 110V recently and need to change it on 220V.
Could anyone help with appropriate photo of jumper set J11 for 230V?

Please see the photo 15ss for 110V

http://imgur.com/GlzYUev

Here is how the jumpers were set in the SS15 I had at home (original european 240V version):

Hope this helps.

Reactions: SKATTERBRANE

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
No but I have images of the SS30 internals. As you can see, input voltage is beeing switched by this red jumper wire. Just ask someone who owns SS30 in the US to check what is the 115V US setting. On 220V models, it connects pins 1 and 3.

View attachment 13917

I have just noted that I gave the wrong piece of info in my previous post. The jumper on the 220V SS30 connects pins 1 and 4, not 1 and 3 as I stated in my post.

Here is a different angle which better shows that:

I had also another SS30, this time mk 2, which was set to 240V, where the jumper connects pins 1 and 5:

So it seems the correct pin settings are:

120V: pin 1 and 3
220V: pin 1 and 4
240V: pin 1 and 5

Pin 1 and 2 may be for 100V, but someone from Japan would need to confirm this.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
15SS has couple of non-custom transformers - PACIFIC TRANSFORMERS PTT-02-30-40. It combines 230V and 115V inputs in one.
The details are here http://pactran.com/assets/catalog.pdf, page 14
So Terry's words looks like blowing a smoke...

Quite possible, so try Adam's pin reading and see if it works for you, and hopefully he's right and you won't blow up anything.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great! I'd like to know what Spectral, Terry and other dealers have to say about this...

SKATTERBRANE

Nov 27, 2011
P1040835.JPG Here are the jumpers in my DMC-15. They are set at the factory for 115V. Someone was asking me how to change it to 220V. I do not know what combination would achieve this. But I guess a technician with the right test equipment could do it handily.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
WOW this is very interesting. This would open a new world for Spectral lovers in Europe.
Buy amps in USA send it to Europe and just put the internal wiring to another jumper. Sounds very easy and would spare me a lot of euro’s
Are these jumpers also inside DMC30SV because that will be my next preamp. How about DMA 300RS or 400RS?

DSC_0565.JPG
Picture off my DMC30SS2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing