Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lumin Dac.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Actually, I just realized you have the original which is:
    Wolfson WM8741 DAC chips, 1 chip per channel;Fully balanced layout with high quality components;Output connectors coupled with dual LUNDAHL LL7401 output transformers

The S1 Reference that was later listed below is the one that shares architecture with Gryphon Calliope. Sorry for mis-reading. In any event, enjoy!
    Hi LL21,

The Lumin S1 is using TWO ES9018 per channel whereas Gryphon Calliope is using just one ES9018 per channel.
    Although the number & type of dac chip is just one of the many factors that affect sonic performance, I still have high expectation on S1.

Lumin claims that S1 will be available in 2Q 2014.

Cheers,
    CK
    ARC 40 Anniv preamp, MC2 1250 poweramp, Magico S5 speaker, CAS with MSB Platinum IV Plus dac.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by CKKeung View Post
    Hi LL21,

The Lumin S1 is using TWO ES9018 per channel whereas Gryphon Calliope is using just one ES9018 per channel.
    Although the number & type of dac chip is just one of the many factors that affect sonic performance, I still have high expectation on S1.

Lumin claims that S1 will be available in 2Q 2014.

Cheers,
    CK
    Thanks, CK! What does having more than 1 DAC chip per channel do in this case?
    SOURCE: Zanden 4-Box Digital AMP: CJ GAT+Gryphon Colosseum SPEAKER: Wilson X1+Velodyne DD18
    CABLE: TA RefMM/XL, PAD 25th/Canor/Dom, Sablon GCUber ISOLATION (16 'SANDWICHES'): Under: HRS M3/Nimbus, Stillpoints Ultra5, Auralex Top: HRS, Artesania, Entreq Vibb, Finite Elemente, EAT, 70kg mass damping GROUNDING/SHIELDING: Tripoint Troy Sig/Thor+Entreq Receivus/Atlantis & AC Wraps POWER:TA PowerIsolator+Nordost QX4 TUBE: Amperex 7308, Mullard 1950s 6922/6CA4/6X4 ROOM: Stillpoints Aperture

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Thanks, CK! What does having more than 1 DAC chip per channel do in this case?
    Hi LL21,

Gryphon Kalliope and L.K.S Dual-9018 dac are using ONE ESS9018 chip per channel so they are running the EIGHT d/a circuits inside the ESS9018 chip in parallel for each channel.

Lumin S1 and Accuphase DC-901 are using TWO ESS9018 chips per channel so they are running SIXTEEN d/a circuits in parallel for each channel.

I think there will be increasing sonic benefit but the Law of Diminishing Returns still applies.
    Also, this is just one of the many factors that affect sonic performance.

Anyway, the ESS9018 chip is not expensive when compared with the high prices of these flagship DACs.
    In Hong Kong, the cost of one ESS9018 chip is less than US$50.
    ARC 40 Anniv preamp, MC2 1250 poweramp, Magico S5 speaker, CAS with MSB Platinum IV Plus dac.

Quote Originally Posted by CKKeung View Post
    Hi LL21,

CK
    You should.
    It's a very nice improvement over the previous A1.
    The main benefits go nevertheless to PCM playback with a far bigger soundstage and more accurate tones and higher resolution.
    I noticed still a bit more details with the new Esoteric Grandioso combo, but it stands not so far.
    DSD 128 could also be an interesting option if the number of files available was not so limited.
    Each device (A1 & S1) has its own sonic fingerprint and I can imagine some will prefer the Wolfson chip's presentation. Very nice achievement anyway...

JoŽl
    6moons.com reviewer & Audiophile-Magazine editor.
    www.6moons.com
    www.audiophile-magazine.com

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    You should.
    It's a very nice improvement over the previous A1.
    The main benefits go nevertheless to PCM playback with a far bigger soundstage and more accurate tones and higher resolution.
    I noticed still a bit more details with the new Esoteric Grandioso combo, but it stands not so far.
    DSD 128 could also be an interesting option if the number of files available was not so limited.
    Each device (A1 & S1) has its own sonic fingerprint and I can imagine some will prefer the Wolfson chip's presentation. Very nice achievement anyway...

JoŽl
    Hi Joel,

You have got the Lumin S1 for review? Wow!
    It's not seen by any Hong Kong audiophile/reviewer even though Lumin is a HK company! haha

Cheers,
    CK

I know, my loaner has serial number 00001...
    Number 2 was in Munich last month, but new units should be released quite soon.

Cheers,

JoŽl
    www.6moons.com

Addicted to Best!
    I know, my loaner has serial number 00001...
    Number 2 was in Munich last month, but new units should be released quite soon.

Cheers,
    JoŽl
    Hi Joel,

Serial number 00001, no wonder!
    So your Lumin S1 review will be released at 6moons.com or elsewhere? We shall be waiting for it very eagerly!
    And is it possible to include some internal photos of S1 in your review?
    Many thanks!

Cheers,
    CK

Hi CKKeung,
    6moons review will be published as soon as possible. Of course, I shall include some internal pics.

Cheers,

JoŽl.
    www.6moons.com

Addicted to Best!
    Hi CKKeung,
    6moons review will be published as soon as possible. Of course, I shall include some internal pics.

Cheers,
    JoŽl.
    Many thanks!

Addicted to Best!
    Official specifications available.
    http://www.luminmusic.com/#
    Last edited by CKKeung; 06-08-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123