Lumin Dac.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Actually, I just realized you have the original which is:
Wolfson WM8741 DAC chips, 1 chip per channel;Fully balanced layout with high quality components;Output connectors coupled with dual LUNDAHL LL7401 output transformers

The S1 Reference that was later listed below is the one that shares architecture with Gryphon Calliope. Sorry for mis-reading. In any event, enjoy!

Hi LL21,

The Lumin S1 is using TWO ES9018 per channel whereas Gryphon Calliope is using just one ES9018 per channel.
Although the number & type of dac chip is just one of the many factors that affect sonic performance, I still have high expectation on S1.

Lumin claims that S1 will be available in 2Q 2014.

Cheers,
CK

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,

The Lumin S1 is using TWO ES9018 per channel whereas Gryphon Calliope is using just one ES9018 per channel.
Although the number & type of dac chip is just one of the many factors that affect sonic performance, I still have high expectation on S1.

Lumin claims that S1 will be available in 2Q 2014.

Cheers,
CK
Thanks, CK! What does having more than 1 DAC chip per channel do in this case?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks, CK! What does having more than 1 DAC chip per channel do in this case?

Hi LL21,

Gryphon Kalliope and L.K.S Dual-9018 dac are using ONE ESS9018 chip per channel so they are running the EIGHT d/a circuits inside the ESS9018 chip in parallel for each channel.

Lumin S1 and Accuphase DC-901 are using TWO ESS9018 chips per channel so they are running SIXTEEN d/a circuits in parallel for each channel.

I think there will be increasing sonic benefit but the Law of Diminishing Returns still applies.
Also, this is just one of the many factors that affect sonic performance.

Anyway, the ESS9018 chip is not expensive when compared with the high prices of these flagship DACs.
In Hong Kong, the cost of one ESS9018 chip is less than US$50.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
Hi LL21,

CK

You should.
It's a very nice improvement over the previous A1.
The main benefits go nevertheless to PCM playback with a far bigger soundstage and more accurate tones and higher resolution.
I noticed still a bit more details with the new Esoteric Grandioso combo, but it stands not so far.
DSD 128 could also be an interesting option if the number of files available was not so limited.
Each device (A1 & S1) has its own sonic fingerprint and I can imagine some will prefer the Wolfson chip's presentation. Very nice achievement anyway...

Joël

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
You should.
It's a very nice improvement over the previous A1.
The main benefits go nevertheless to PCM playback with a far bigger soundstage and more accurate tones and higher resolution.
I noticed still a bit more details with the new Esoteric Grandioso combo, but it stands not so far.
DSD 128 could also be an interesting option if the number of files available was not so limited.
Each device (A1 & S1) has its own sonic fingerprint and I can imagine some will prefer the Wolfson chip's presentation. Very nice achievement anyway...

Joël

Hi Joel,

You have got the Lumin S1 for review? Wow!
It's not seen by any Hong Kong audiophile/reviewer even though Lumin is a HK company! haha

Cheers,
CK

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
I know, my loaner has serial number 00001...
Number 2 was in Munich last month, but new units should be released quite soon.

Cheers,

Joël

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I know, my loaner has serial number 00001...
Number 2 was in Munich last month, but new units should be released quite soon.

Cheers,
Joël

Hi Joel,

Serial number 00001, no wonder!
So your Lumin S1 review will be released at 6moons.com or elsewhere? We shall be waiting for it very eagerly!
And is it possible to include some internal photos of S1 in your review?
Many thanks!

Cheers,
CK

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
Hi CKKeung,
6moons review will be published as soon as possible. Of course, I shall include some internal pics.

Cheers,

Joël.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKKeung,
6moons review will be published as soon as possible. Of course, I shall include some internal pics.

Cheers,
Joël.

Many thanks!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Last edited:

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
I also ended up with a Lumin.

I had a Aurender S10 and was looking for a dac matching my analogue setup.
I had many dac`s on loan for a period and most of them at same time. Some of them was dCS Paganini, Meitner, Emm 2X, Playback Design 3 & 5, Vitus RD100.

Most of them were great dac`s, but not all. But non of them could compete with my analogue setup. Then i had the Lumin A1 at home demo.........

Sold my Aurender and bought the Lumin.
The Lumin is not as good as my analogue setup, but i could compete with all the dac`s and some of them, it was quite better. So for me, i could`nt see the point of having the Aurender (same price as the Lumin) and also a expensive dac. When i could have the Lumin and save many 1000$ for a dac.

But the best thing with the Lumin is, that it´s no problem for me to listen to my analogue setup and the go back to listen to Lumin. Not many digital players can do that :)

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
I also ended up with a Lumin.

I had a Aurender S10 and was looking for a dac matching my analogue setup.
I had many dac`s on loan for a period and most of them at same time. Some of them was dCS Paganini, Meitner, Emm 2X, Playback Design 3 & 5, Vitus RD100.

Most of them were great dac`s, but not all. But non of them could compete with my analogue setup. Then i had the Lumin A1 at home demo.........

Sold my Aurender and bought the Lumin.

Hi Pierre,

Had more or less the same experience with Aurender and enjoyed the Lumin, that was finally the only one network player to compete with my digital player (Jadis CD2 drive and Esoteric K-03).
The S1 flagship I own currently is another story.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing