Lumin Dac.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The Lumin A1 is amazing. I have one and it sounds very natural with a little "meat on the bone". It's very three dimensional and vocals are just wonderful. You need a NAS to stream music to it and setup can be a little tricky. I feel no need to go elsewhere for my digital music.

Last edited:

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
It's not just a DAC, it's a network music player.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
The Lumin A1 is amazing. I have one and it sounds very natural with a little "meat on the bone". It's very three dimensional and vocals are just wonderful. You need a NAS to stream music to it and setup can be a little tricky. I feel no need to go elsewhere for my digital music.

Joe,

It is actually pretty easy to setup and the app is very nice. While I do not own the Lumin I do own the MSB Diamond Plus DAC and am currently demoing their UMT+, which also works as a streamer and I did set it up using MiminServer BUT unfortunately the Lumin app doesn't work with OPPO (the streamer MSB uses).

Personally I think "streaming" is the future. I can't speak for the Lumin but everything I hear about it sounds great. Gapless, which has been an achilles heel of streaming works on the Lumin as does DSD128 and DXD. What I love about the MSB is that there is NO computer to worry about and all bits get streamed to the OPPO and buffered into MSB's PROI2S board that then gets clocked to their DAC. I really believe those who haven't heard their MSB streaming via the PROI2S haven't heard their MSB.

The point being that whether it be an all in one approach like Lumin or the more expensive multibox system like MSB I think streaming is the way to go and the future. Regarding the MSB whether I play the data via USB, streaming or via a disc SQ is unchanged. Whereas when I use the DAC's USB port SQ changes with cables, USB cards, optimization, etc.

There are issues with the OPPO that Lumin has obviously resolved as has Naim and Linn so I am not as yet ready to give it a full endorsement but it is the best sounding digital I have heard to date.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I know it. Its a Dac who read through the ethernet cable store devices.

The correct description is network music player as Audioseduction wrote above. IMHO, a DAC is a device without any playing part that needs a music player (CD transport, computer or network music player/streamer) in order to produce sound. There are some devices (as the Marantz NA11 for example) that can do both (DAC for external sources and network music player).

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The Lumin has no digital inputs and can use either AirPlay or ethernet to receive your music.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I bought one and enjoyed it so much, I bought a second one for my other system. Here's the scoop: if you like super super super high resolution detail, you want to hear every nat fart, then it's not for you. If you think connecting a $30,000 DAC to a $500 computer, with God knows what USB cable and OS, card, etc., makes sense, then it's not for you. If you love playing with a computer - you know, warding off viruses, spam, phishing, upgrading, etc. while you listen to music, then it's not for you.

But, if you want your digital to sound very analog like - body and smoothness and ZERO fatigue, but not lacking any detail at all (it's not just hyped up like my DAC2X), then the Lumin is for you!

The people who dismiss it, have A. neither heard it or B. love riding the DAC merry go round.

I will say this, I'm a huge vinyl fan. You know, always saying "vinyl rules"....well, it does rule, but my Lumin is now it's equal. I haven't spun a record in 6 weeks since getting the Lumin.

I'm digitally done. :).

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
080927bv01b2a3e7eua0ha.jpg

The coming Lumin flagship S1 uses new dac chips : Two ES9018 per channel!
The sonic character of this new S1 may be different from the previous Lumin.
:confused:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
View attachment 13909

The coming Lumin flagship S1 uses new dac chips : Two ES9018 per channel!
The sonic character of this new S1 may be different from the previous Lumin.
:confused:

CK,

Hence why I posted what I did. I love the idea of a streamer, eliminating the variation of a computer USB server imposes and I see you have and MSB DAC. I think it would behoove you to try the UMT+, not because I think it is as flexible as what the Lumin provides, which it is not on the streaming end, BUT, because streaming/USB sticking/CD/SACD/DATADISC via the UMT+ through the PROI2S is extraordinary sounding without the variation of a USB server.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Now it's "Lumin Rules"

Joe,

Did you compare it in your system with any other state of the art digital source, such as a Vivaldi DCS, top MSB or the top Metronome's?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe,

Did you compare it in your system with any other state of the art digital source, such as a Vivaldi DCS, top MSB or the top Metronome's?

Only compared against the Emm Labs TSDX/DAC2X combo and other less expensive dacs that I've had on hand. I am more than delighted with the Lumin that I am no longer in the market for "another" dac/streamer. The Lumin, for me, is very satisfying and musical.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Only compared against the Emm Labs TSDX/DAC2X combo and other less expensive dacs that I've had on hand. I am more than delighted with the Lumin that I am no longer in the market for "another" dac/streamer. The Lumin, for me, is very satisfying and musical.

And you consider that that the Lumin sounds significantly better than the Emm Labs TSDX/DAC2X combo in your system? In what aspects did you notice any improvements (or drawbacks) ?

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
And you consider that that the Lumin sounds significantly better than the Emm Labs TSDX/DAC2X combo in your system? In what aspects did you notice any improvements (or drawbacks) ?

The Lumin has ZERO fatigue. It has a more three dimensional sound to it with more depth and width. Separation of voices and instruments is superb. There seems to be more "meat on the bone" with a fuller sound. Sure they might be a little less perceived detail but I still hear everything and never at any point want to turn off my system or stop listening. You can spend more money if you want to, but I do not feel the need to look any further. I have the Lumin A1. It's probably the closest to vinyl sounding digital that I can compare it to.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK,

Hence why I posted what I did. I love the idea of a streamer, eliminating the variation of a computer USB server imposes and I see you have and MSB DAC. I think it would behoove you to try the UMT+, not because I think it is as flexible as what the Lumin provides, which it is not on the streaming end, BUT, because streaming/USB sticking/CD/SACD/DATADISC via the UMT+ through the PROI2S is extraordinary sounding without the variation of a USB server.

Hi Priaptor,

Yes, MSB UMT Plus is my target this year.
It is of course less user-friendly than dedicated servers/streamers but the ProI2S connection is the real treasure.
ProI2S is bi-directional so the Femto clock in my MSB IV Plus dac can syn with/control the UMT Plus during playback.

However, UMT Plus is based on Oppo 103 and Oppo has just launched the 103D.
The Darbee processor is incorporated in the video section of 103D whereas the audio section is unchanged.
I am waiting for MSB to launch the 103D-based UMT Plus.

Cheers,
CK

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Lumin has ZERO fatigue. It has a more three dimensional sound to it with more depth and width. Separation of voices and instruments is superb. There seems to be more "meat on the bone" with a fuller sound. Sure they might be a little less perceived detail but I still hear everything and never at any point want to turn off my system or stop listening. You can spend more money if you want to, but I do not feel the need to look any further. I have the Lumin A1. It's probably the closest to vinyl sounding digital that I can compare it to.
Great stuff Joe...congrats. Read the description and it shares some areas in basic architecture to Gryphon's Calliope. I hope to hear that later this year. Enjoy!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Actually, I just realized you have the original which is:

Wolfson WM8741 DAC chips, 1 chip per channel
Fully balanced layout with high quality components
Output connectors coupled with dual LUNDAHL LL7401 output transformers

The S1 Reference that was later listed below is the one that shares architecture with Gryphon Calliope. Sorry for mis-reading. In any event, enjoy!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing