February 7, 1964

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Yes,

I'm showing my age but .............. how time flies.

Hint. The Ed Sullivan Show.

Often overused but appropriate. A true ""game" changer IMHO.

GG

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Beatles coming to America.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I wasn't even a thought in my parents head back then.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I was 9 years old when the Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan and I watched every appearance on TV as it happened. I remember it like it was yesterday. And speaking of yesterday, hearing Paul play the guitar and performing Yesterday solo was incredible.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
mep,

I also remember it like it was yesterday.

Despite all the turmoil in the USA at that time (Vietnam war, civil rights movement, JFK assassination, etc.) and what was to be for the next decade of history, a breath of purity, fun, and innocence.

GG

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for that memory. I had my 50th HS reunion last year and was a freshman in college when Beatlemania hit the US. We had a rough fall, with the assassination of the president (JFK had gone to our college - so it made it even more devastating in Cambridge). To relieve the tension the first couple of James Bond movies were being released, Dr. No and From Russia with Love. Joan Baez was the rising new "folk" singer (again with a Cambridge connection - her first album was entitled "Folk Singers 'round Harvard Square" and her dad was teaching physics at MIT down the road). Bob Dylan (Joan's boyfriend at the time) was just coming on the scene but not yet that popular and our freshman class hired him to entertain us at the year end dance/concert in late Spring 1964. We didn't know what the double influence of the Beatles and Dylan would be in the next few years. Vietnam was looming ahead and another "folk" protest singer, Phil Ochs was singing about the American "Advisors" being sent to that still poorly known country thousands of miles away.

Larry

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It was the best of times and the worst of times...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was living in The Netherlands.....never heard of Ed Sullivan. I do remember watching Bonanza though! :)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Surprised by the lack of interest but consistent with this website.

All tech. Very little discussion of the heart and soul of this hobby. Read music. Oh well.

Thanks for your comments mep and astro.

Maybe we can discuss the Beatles music within the context of theory and measurements. :eek:

GG

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I hope everyone is watching the Beatles tribute show that is on right now. Paul and Ringo are going to do 3 songs. Maroon 5 just killed some Beatles tunes. Ticket to Ride was especially good.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
That's the night Beatlemania swept the land. I'll never forget it and will never forget my sister and I splitting the cost of the Meet the Beatles mono LP, which I am fortunate to have.

It's interesting because Beatlemania was as much a social phenomenon as it was a musical one, at least from my perspective.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I hope you guys posting over the last 90 minutes are watching the CBS special on the Beatles.

It's still on.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
It's on my DVR.

Looking forward to watching a piece of musical history.

+1 Brian.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing