You can't make this stuff up...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
A new spin on job losses, read this carefully!

“Opportunity created by affordable, quality health insurance allows families in America to make a decision about how they will work, or if they will work.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...be-emblazoned-on-the-tombstone-of-liberalism/

I people VOLUNTARILY decide to leave a job they held just to get health insurance, and get coverage through Obamacare instead, their income goes down and their quality of life improves. The job itself does not "go away" (someone else will take it). At the macro level, labor participation rate goes down and GDP per capita goes down (who cares?), but quality of life goes up. The conservative spin on this analysis is a monumental joke.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I people VOLUNTARILY decide to leave a job they held just to get health insurance, and get coverage through Obamacare instead, their income goes down and their quality of life improves. The job itself does not "go away" (someone else will take it). At the macro level, labor participation rate goes down and GDP per capita goes down (who cares?), but quality of life goes up. The conservative spin on this analysis is a monumental joke.

If you call sitting around with your hand out quality life. Then there are the rest of us who have to work to provide the lazy ones with their quality life.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If you call sitting around with your hand out quality life. Then there are the rest of us who have to work to provide the lazy ones with their quality life.

Where did you read about the hand out part? If you voluntarily give up your job you get no handout. These are people that can support themselves financially, with the exception of healthcare cost (or complete lack of access because of pre-existing condition) pre Obamacare.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Where did you read about the hand out part? If you voluntarily give up your job you get no handout. These are people that can support themselves financially, with the exception of healthcare cost (or complete lack of access because of pre-existing condition) pre Obamacare.

They're talking about the subsidies that the rest of us have to pay for, nothing to do with kool-aid you're thinking of. Here it is;

and you can read the link I posted above and here it is again;

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-party-of-less-work-103184.html#ixzz2se7EeKie

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

The CBO testified that we will lose over 2 million jobs in the next 10 years due to Obamacare. So the CBO is into conservative spin these days eh?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The CBO testified that we will lose over 2 million jobs in the next 10 years due to Obamacare. So the CBO is into conservative spin these days eh?

They say 2 million people will voluntarily leave the workforce and labor participation rate will drop accordingly. These jobs won't be gone - other people will fill them. This is a good thing.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
They say 2 million people will voluntarily leave the workforce and labor participation rate will drop accordingly. These jobs won't be gone - other people will fill them. This is a good thing.

In which universe is this a good thing?

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..give it up ddk...arguing with a liberal is like playing pickup sticks with your butt cheeks....an impossibility :D

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
In which universe is this a good thing?

In mine. Case in point. If I lost my job pre Obamacare, I would have to desperately find a job (any job) which has health care coverage, because my wife has pre-existing condition and I cannot get insurance on private market (or pay $5K / month). With Obamacare, I could get coverage for $1K month, and decide for myself if I wanted to retire or not (plenty coming in to cover living expenses), and if I decided I wanted to work a few more years, I'd look for a job I actually wanted, or start my own business (in audio preferably). If I decided to retire, I'd be one of the COB's 2 million, which is a good thing, because I would not be with my back against the wall for a job with health care coverage.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
..give it up ddk...arguing with a liberal is like playing pickup sticks with your butt cheeks....an impossibility :D

Sometimes they actually try to construct a coherent argument, instead of repeating clueless soundbites picked up on Fox, which greatly offends conservative sensibilities.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Really? Does it count that I actually saw the testimony? It may surprise you that I really do have the ability to think for myself but then I'm sure you won't accept that either. You're sounding more and more elitist edoor. Welcome to the progressive left :)

..your friendly flat earther/cold hearted/uninformed/intolerant Christian conservative (did I miss anything?) ;)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Obamacare is just another change that little to no help will,occur. Our health c are is most defiantly in need of change but anyone who has a good idea is not listened to . The Clinton's tried it and managed to make different people wealthy . It's not the dr,s it's the HMO,s . Now we have the next change where Do I go or what kind of company can I open to be part of the next money making crowd with this.

Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Really? Does it count that I actually saw the testimony? It may surprise you that I really do have the ability to think for myself but then I'm sure you won't accept that either. You're sounding more and more elitist edoor. Welcome to the progressive left :)

Yet you dismiss the notion that I may be thinking for myself as well and simply come to different conclusions. Easier to go straight to mudslinging and classify me as clueless elitist liberal, than having to respond to an actual argument (which I offered)

..your friendly flat earther/cold hearted/uninformed/intolerant Christian conservative (did I miss anything?) ;)

You got all bases covered. As a conservative, there is also an elevated probability you are homophobic / racist / misogynist, but it is not a 100% certainty, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on those three.:rolleyes:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks for reminding me, gotta start practicing, after all jason furman, obama's chairman of the council of economic advisers got his position doing this kind of tricks on the street!

220px-Jason_Furman_2011.jpg

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Who said anything about sitting around with a hand out? I've been self-employed and paid outrageous sums to insure my family, poorly. I have held jobs I didn't love all that much, when I could be making nearly as much freelance, and one I didn't care for at all when I could have been making MORE freelance, not just because the cost of insurance would have killed me, but because I couldn't have gotten insurance at all. There are people who will be able to retire, to work for themselves, to work part time, to semi-retire, to take care of their kids and elderly parents, to do volunteer work, to start small businesses or consulting practices...the list is long and productive, if you're not jumping to the conclusion that everyone who doesn't think like you isn't as ambitious as you. A whole lot of possibilities would open up for a whole lot of people if healthcare costs in this country were in line with most of the developed world. It is a huge drain on personal and national economics.

Its not about my ambitions and I'm all for people going about enjoying their lives, but its not about. Its about lost jobs and opportunities. Its about a system that's already being gamed to the hilt, its about dishonest politicians and its about the cost to families who have to pick up the tab.

In mine. Case in point. If I lost my job pre Obamacare, I would have to desperately find a job (any job) which has health care coverage, because my wife has pre-existing condition and I cannot get insurance on private market (or pay $5K / month). With Obamacare, I could get coverage for $1K month, and decide for myself if I wanted to retire or not (plenty coming in to cover living expenses), and if I decided I wanted to work a few more years, I'd look for a job I actually wanted, or start my own business (in audio preferably). If I decided to retire, I'd be one of the COB's 2 million, which is a good thing, because I would not be with my back against the wall for a job with health care coverage.

And who's picking up the difference for this generosity? My kids or yours? Would be great if you accomplished your goal by yourself instead of on the back of others.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Who said anything about sitting around with a hand out? I've been self-employed and paid outrageous sums to insure my family, poorly. I have held jobs I didn't love all that much, when I could be making nearly as much freelance, and one I didn't care for at all when I could have been making MORE freelance, not just because the cost of insurance would have killed me, but because I couldn't have gotten insurance at all. There are people who will be able to retire, to work for themselves, to work part time, to semi-retire, to take care of their kids and elderly parents, to do volunteer work, to start small businesses or consulting practices...the list is long and productive, if you're not jumping to the conclusion that everyone who doesn't think like you isn't as ambitious as you. A whole lot of possibilities would open up for a whole lot of people if healthcare costs in this country were in line with most of the developed world. It is a huge drain on personal and national economics.

Unfortunately, the Affordable Care Act is probably far too compromised and hamstrung to lead us to affordable care, if it survives at all. It's only hope, really, is to get enough people on it and getting their family healthcare through it that it becomes, like Social Security and Medicare, politically untouchable, and Washington is forced pass changes meant to make it work, not kill it off. That's a tall order, but it's the only chance IMO. Voting against good, actually affordable healthcare has to be more politically dangerous than voting against the insurance and pharma lobbies. And we are nowhere close to that.

Tim

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Unfortunately, the Affordable Care Act is probably far too compromised and hamstrung to lead us to affordable care, if it survives at all. It's only hope, really, is to get enough people on it and getting their family healthcare through it that it becomes, like Social Security and Medicare, politically untouchable, and Washington is forced pass changes meant to make it work, not kill it off. That's a tall order, but it's the only chance IMO. Voting against good, actually affordable healthcare has to be more politically dangerous than voting against the insurance and pharma lobbies. And we are nowhere close to that.

Tim

The problem with it Tim is that the name ACA is a lie, and so everything else about it. Whatever was wrong in the past, still is nothing has changed only now you're forced to buy insurance wether you want it or not, its not your money or your decision anymore. I'm not against healthcare reform, I'm against being imprisoned by it. The rosy side of this thing is coming at the expense of others and its not right. The point of this post wasn't obamacare but to point out to the sleepy that we're losing jobs and people are paying a price for these policies, of course the spin is you can do what you want and not have to work. Do you believe that a policies that either force people out of jobs or has disincentives for people to work is a good thing for a nation? What about the quality of of life for those who end up paying for this frivolity? My kids? Your kid? What's in store for them?

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing