Hockey pucks and felt pads!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've been having some problems with my TT ever since I moved it into my new 2CH room and mounted on a Sonora five-shelf audio rack. The rack itself is great and I love it, but with the TT placed on it I noticed an increase in rumble. I didn't recognize that having all of my components on the same rack as my TT would present me with this conundrum, but it did.

Not having a lot of disposible dollars to rectify this situation with some degree of certainty, I decided to look at other options and entertain the idea of doing something with "out of the box" thinking. I had read of several people using Hockey Pucks as Isolation/Vibration devices, and I thought, being Canadian, this may be right up my alley! LOL! So I got to thinking. What if I used Hockey pucks and then applied some kind of vibration control on both sides to help absorb/minimize sound waves travelling up the audio rack. It didn't take long to figure out that felt pads used for the bottom of chairs might do the trick, so I started looking . Lo and behold I find that they make these pads in exactly the same size as hockey pucks (3" in diameter). So off I go to that most Canadian of all Candian DIY stores...Canadian Tire!

So now I'm at home with 4 Hockey Pucks and 2 packages of felt pads (8 pads in total) and wondering what to do next. Having the hockey pucks placed underneath the TT and then leveling everything wouldn't work out...I needed another leveling surface. AH! I know! The butcher block that has been sitting there doing nothing would work. It's 14"x19"x1.75" ...freagin' perfect!

I next got to work assembling the felt (sticky back) pads to the hocky pucks and removed the TT from the top shelf. I measured and leveled until I was satisfied and placed the TT on top of it. I measured and leveled again and my small project was complete. With the butcher block addition I basically have a dual-plinth TT!

So , did it work? Has it made a difference? YES! Absolutely and categorically YES!

The bass it tighter, the rumble has disappeared, the mid-range seems clearer and much more succinct, and the upper frequencies don't suffer from any type of ringing at all.

Here are a few pics of what I did...not bad for a $12 investment, eh?

010..JPG
008..JPG
009..JPG
007..JPG

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And just for the hell of it...here is a video

That was the MOFI "Sinatra At The Sands" LP.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So between yesterday afternoon and now I must have listened for at least 4 hours, if not 5/6. I'm here to tell you that this small tweak made an amazing difference. I think that applying the felt pads to both the bottom and the top of the hockey pucks was key. I am so convinced this method works that I'm going to apply it to my AVR for further isolation/vibration control.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have been using hockey pucks under my monoblocks for some time now and have several more that I intend to use beneath my Rega P3. They are a great poor man's isolation "device"...just watch your front teeth! :D

Just the pucks or the felt padding as well? Poor man, shmoor man...if it works who the heck cares.

John

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It even looks good! Great work John!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It even looks good! Great work John!

Thanks Jack! I like the look of it as well!

I went a step further and bought another set to use underneath my AVR. Since it is the source that regrettably allows the sound to travel along the audio rack why not isolate it and try to reduce the vibration. I'm hoping to hear a further tightening up of the sound, although I suspect it may not be as dramatic. I'll let you know what I think of the combination after some listening in the next few days. Here's a pic of the AVR and the incorporated Pucks.

001..JPG

John

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks Jack! I like the look of it as well!

I went a step further and bought another set to use underneath my AVR. Since it is the source that regrettably allows the sound to travel along the audio rack why not isolate it and try to reduce the vibration. I'm hoping to hear a further tightening up of the sound, although I suspect it may not be as dramatic. I'll let you know what I think of the combination after some listening in the next few days. Here's a pic of the AVR and the incorporated Pucks.

Did you place a level on top? You know some people like everything plum and square.:eek:

View attachment 709

John

Did you place a level on top? You know some people like everything plum and square.:eek:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
John,

You might want to try them between chassis and rack aside from feet and rack. You might be surprised :)

Jack

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Trust me...everything is plumb-bobbed to the hilt! LOL!

John,

You might want to try them between chassis and rack aside from feet and rack. You might be surprised :)

Jack

I actually thought about that as well Jack. Gonna have a trial run with the way it is now and then try your recommendation.

John

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
A set of four pucks plus felt both sides sounds nice!The extra block with another set of feet is a bit "towering".
Is your beautiful turntable (Not.Analog?) secure up there?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A set of four pucks plus felt both sides sounds nice!The extra block with another set of feet is a bit "towering".
Is your beautiful turntable (Not.Analog?) secure up there?

The TT setup is actually very stable, and yes, it's an N.A. Horizon SE.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No longer playing hockey, but I wonder how the softer plastic/rubber practice pucks would work instead of the harder game pucks?
Never let a geek think about a tweak... :D - Don

I used game pucks Don! Nothing but the best for me, baby!:eek:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I used game pucks Don! Nothing but the best for me, baby!:eek:

:) I was actually thinking the slightly softer practice pucks might dampen things better. I think you should do some trials. Also, I'd like to know what colour works best... :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
:) I was actually thinking the slightly softer practice pucks might dampen things better. I think you should do some trials. Also, I'd like to know what colour works best... :D

(Looks for change in his pockets to see if such a purchase is doable...damn, this is getting expensive!):p:)

John

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Different hardness would definitely make things sound different. Back when I had a Rega, I used squash balls (don't know if there's an equivalent in North America) under the Ikea butchers block as a suspension. There war various hardness for squash balls so tweaking with placement and mix of hardness was a good month's entertainment. I used rubber ring gaskets used in plumbing to make sure the balls didn't roll around.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing