DAC Recommendations

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I would like to add a query to this thread and apologize in advance if it seems off base. Several years ago I was quite surprised when one of my good friends simplified his system and replaced an ARC LS 25 Mk2 (sounded darn close to my Ref 2 Mk2) with an Anthem D2. The Anthem was certainly more convenient and customizable, but I expected a serious preamp compromise, which was not the case, although some of that ARC sound signature was not there. Not only did I essentially design his system, it was a cheaper version of mine (He had smaller versions of my speakers-Wisdom M50's and I had M75's and used similar amps 2 Bryston 4b sst's, where I used Bryston 7B sst's on my woofs and Pass x 600's on my ribbons. I used better cables Valhalla throughout to his quattro-fils) so I felt quite able to make an assessment of the D2 replacement. Now there is a D2V which has much improved DAC's and generally considered one of the references for HT. As a casualty of a divorce settlement, I now have to use my system for both audio and HT.

So my question is has anyone heard the Anthem D2V in a good system so that they can get a sense of how its preamp sounds and how good the DAC's are? Because with its TACT like room correction and infinite DAC flexibility for 2-7 channel listening, if it is as good as alleged and somewhat better than the D2 which I have a lot of experience with, then it might be something to think about. The idea of using your computer USB out, or a Wadia iPod transport to bypass the internal DAC and amp may be a very reasonable solution.

BTW, one of the things I like about the D2 and D2V is that subs can be repurposed depending on their use for 2 ch or HT. The eq, crossover freq, slop and phase and level are all individually adjustable for each input.

Once again I apologize if this sounds like a mid fi question.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
You can go with passive and have v control and switching. I am using the Townsend Allegra with the Metrum Octave. Cables make a huge difference. I have still not found my good ICs from my move so Had to use some old ones. One was a top rated ones from many years ago and the other was an old Mapleshade. The difference was amazing; both were good but sounded nothing alike. The mystery one was fast and good transients. The Mapleshade was rich and softer with more chacter. More tubelike if you will. Better?

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Schiit Yggdrasil

Or

Agua La Voce S2

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I will recommand the one that made me come back to digital after 10 years as an exclusive analog guy : the Computer Audio Design 1543. I think Prana is thhe US importer. No hi rez but stellar music.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
I have had to as I have been ill and dont have the room or the strength to use what I was using. Moved from house into apt, sound is quite good but not like my large treated room with the 2 RELs.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Guys, this thread is 6 years old...:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing