The 2014 Winter Olympics Thread

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Games are about to start with Opening Ceremonies taking place this Friday February 7, 2014 and Closing Ceremonies held on Sunday February 23, 2014.

This is the Offical Site: http://www.sochi2014.com/en

If you have an interest in the Winter Olympics I hope that you'll join us here to talk about the great athletes and their performances in these games. They deserve it as they've dedicated their lives for years and years to get here. Some will face defeat and agony, some will climb to great heights with amazing performances, but all of them deserve to be cheered on and supported.

Pictures and videos are encouraged. Show us who you support and root them on! Let us know what performances impressed you. Which sports will you be following. Do you have any predictions?

Good luck to all of the athletes and have a great 2014 Olympic Games. :D

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I simply love the winter Olympics.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
In fact there are a few preliminary competitions starting in a few hours, a day before the Opening Ceremonies. Any word on what the weather is like, both in the town and up the mountain?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are Training sessions for Alpine skiiing, Qualifications for Snowboarding and Preliminary rounds of Figure Skating-Short Program happening today.

The weather is 43°F, Sunny with no snow in sight. Looks like temps are rising for the next few days.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Do you have links to good information sites? The NBC pages seem to have been designed by the IT people that Obamacare fired.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I hope the IOC doesn't regret letting the Russians have the Olympics. I saw something on TV the other night about some Russian mobster who supposedly bribed enough members of the IOC to get the nod for Russia. The hotels are a disaster so far. They have to truck snow in because there is no snow in Sochi. They are currently trying to kill all of the stray dogs that run around Sochi. Some athletes are refusing to compete in some of the snowboarding because of the way the course was constructed will cause injuries.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I hope the IOC doesn't regret letting the Russians have the Olympics. I saw something on TV the other night about some Russian mobster who supposedly bribed enough members of the IOC to get the nod for Russia. The hotels are a disaster so far. They have to truck snow in because there is no snow in Sochi. They are currently trying to kill all of the stray dogs that run around Sochi. Some athletes are refusing to compete in some of the snowboarding because of the way the course was constructed will cause injuries.

Shaun White decided to not participate in the slopestyle snowboarding event because of the apparent danger, and will instead focus in on the other disciplines. I am not one to doubt the decisions any athlete makes, but many believe he dropped out because he doesn't think he can win it. Organizers and athletes have been meeting after every run to discuss the course and make changes. Surely one has to believe no one wants a dangerous course. However, slopestyle isn't for the meek.

I won't address the other issues you raised, because I'd like to avoid those discussions here and instead focus in on the athletes and their efforts.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I really fail to understand why the recent winter Olympics have been held in areas that rarely get any snow at all! Whistler is so low that they hardly receive snow in the town at all, and now Sochi- same issue. Surely there must have been places in Russia that receive many feet of snow at this time of the year??

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not sure if you can access CBC.ca for coverage, but they definitely have the most hours dedicated to the games.

Sochi TV coverage.jpg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I really fail to understand why the recent winter Olympics have been held in areas that rarely get any snow at all! Whistler is so low that they hardly receive snow in the town at all, and now Sochi- same issue. Surely there must have been places in Russia that receive many feet of snow at this time of the year??

Same reason the FIFA World Cup is going to happen in Brazil and in Russia (and Qatar) next. M-O-N-E-Y.

Oh, the next Summer Olympics are going to be here as well, in Rio. For sure we'll leave the 50 billions the russians spent easily behind...

alexandre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
First Medals are in: Slopestyle Snowboarding

1. Sage Kotsenburg (USA)
2. Staale Sandbech (Norway)
3. Mark McMorris (Canada)

All results for this event.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Besides hockey (obviously) Speed Skating is my top fave event and I have some skin in this as well, since I was born in The Netherlands and they are a powerhouse in this event. First up is the 5,000M and there is every chance that they will pick up all 3 medals in this event. Hup! Holland! Hup!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Woohoo! It's a podium sweep for the Dutch in the Men's 5,000M Speedskating Final. The last time this was accomplished in this event was 1964 by the Norwegian team....50 years ago!

All results for this event.

Medal Standings

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
I love the quirky sport of Bi-athelon. As a competitive cyclist I know how my body reacts to sustained effort and how my elevated heart rate causes my body to shake when suddenly at rest. I cannot imaging firing at a target in this condition. Also, I would like to comment that I thought it very small of my country's leaders to not attend the Olympics. Can't they just rise above the politics and support the citizen athletes. No matter your politics, I felt pride for the Russian people watching the pride on Putin's face.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A GOLD and a SILVER for the Dufour-Lapointe sisters of Canada.
USA gets BRONZE

Medal Standings

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
We need to start a spoiler results thread. In the US the TV network at 4PM has only shown :

Men's 5000 meter(metre) Speedskating
Woman's Cross-country skiathlon
Team Figure Skating day results
and 2 Woman's hockey games (very early this morning) they are going to re-broadcast them soon.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
You very lucky guys who can watch today/tonight without the NBC network bozo announcer calling the biathlelon at heart attack screaming levels.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing