Dartzeel vs. Tenor audio

harleyguy

VIP/Donor
Mar 6, 2015
I had the pre-production 'new' 18NS with my 458's in my room for 2 weeks last June. quite amazing I can tell you.

i'm told the full production version is some better....hard to imagine that.

as I owned the VS VR9SE's once upon a time (with a pair of 108's) I have an idea on how that combo (VR9SE mKII/18NS-458) might sound.....very fine indeed.

the 'new' 18NS was originally suppose to be here in late September of last year, then November, and then late January. now it's 'very soon'. they could be final bench testing the first production run right now.....it's that close.

I paid for my new 18NS last September.

stay tuned.

i love your dartzell and your room is fantastic mike.i love the 458s it must sound amazing

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
Can't wait to get mine too, probably a few weeks after you. I do have one to play with but it is an older prototype and not close to the current production model that is dead nuts quiet, super detailed but most importantly - it just makes music.

Oh and Sam those HP's look awesome.

Mike probably has one of the nicest listening rooms on the planet. Incredible, I love it.

Here is one of my pics, and yes sorry to do this on the darTZeel forum. Maybe we need a Tenor forum!

IMG_6151.jpg

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Orb,

i'd recommend either starting another thread on the darTZeel forum, or finding an appropriate thread already on the darTZeel forum and i'll be glad to tell you what I know.

this is a mostly Tenor thread on the darTZeel forum already. inserting a CTH-8550 subject into it will really confuse the flow.

Will do,
but I only joined in after I read posts from others regarding specific DarTZeel models and also about the Zeel new preamp.
It sort of fits in with that discussion raised here.
Cheers
Orb

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
hi mike

I did notice you do have the dodoK10 in the sweet spot......I do like them a lot, especially in Ferrari red......its japanese design and engineering at its best.

I did move them out of my sweet spot listening. I did find them very clinical for longterm/ long session of music listening.....especially for some relaxed music listening after a few single malts on the weekend ....I tend to slouch a bit and slide of from a comfortable position......note not being sloshed at all !.....I do find it very clinical for comfort , probably very precise Japanese in design from toshiynki Kita

Mike , I think your customised room , completely private audio setup is the best I have read about and seen pics off on any audio forum......must be something very special to experience in pure audio terms......and especially the only other amp manufacturer product...The statement 18ns/458 monoblocks Dartzeel I have passionately enjoyed and admired
well .....must try to listen to the London dealers setup

Last edited:

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
hi mark

wow , thats one stunning setup you have.I love the natural wood tones in the room.I notice you have the stereo amp 175 powering your dual cone big tannoys .......Must be sounding very natural and warm

Mark , the Haute Puissance upgrade on power amp monoblock and the latest preamp upgrade 3.01......words are difficult....you just have to listen to them.....it's way superior for realism ,speed and presentation .....music just flows when compared to my 350m HP (400watt) and the original preamp....which was no slouch at all. Note that my impression is just after just two nights of listening.

Jim has been discussing about tenors phono stage from its initial concept stage ....for many years....I was hoping to nic one of the concept phono stage prototype........just to decide if I need multiple source formats for music.......but one of jim's Korean dealers did decide to gusump the prototype !

I do need to think hard of going vinyl ( that's breaking my code of single source).....need to do that before I retire.....unfortunately have an other 10 years work to go.

I am sure especially in your setup with both the turntables on demand....must be stunning sound every time you spin your records

I probably will have to take up jim's invite to come over to canada to listen to his statement setup before I decide on the tenor phonestage

enjoy your music

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
well mike , I am sure your are very well versed with Dartzeels and vsa vr9se.

many years ago being truly a passive believer ....in speaker terms only....I was trying to optimise the sound in my living space with then my mark levinson reference system /speakers,b&w 800 signatures which did change to the vsa vr7se.....and this sound I grew to get comfortable with.....

but with late night listening , pure SS system was getting a little tiring .

At this stage i heard the original Dartzeel pre power combo at home for a month.......Just loved the mellifluous midrange with the darts and the vsa vr 7se......I thinks it's pure magic!

but there's one genre of music I still love to listen to from my school days...ie the jang jang of electric guitars.....which unfortunately did not work in my room with the darts and vsa vr7se

If I am not wrong , I did write a ethread on audigon to you ....in your dart /vr 9se phase.....and your very indepth and true write up in PF may have helped me to move to active speaker system.....absolutely no regrets

I am sure the 18ns new and 458mono blocks must be absolutely stunning ....especially in an esoteric customised sound chamber like yours.

I do hope if I am in your neck of the woods......if time permitting and permission to listen is possible ...would definitely like to listen to your set up

hi Sam,

you would be very welcome to come and listen in my room should you ever be in the neighborhood. I look forward to it happening sometime soon.

thanks for the kind comments, and I do recall we interacted on my AudiogoN thread back in my dart-VR9SE days. funny that when I sold my VR9SE's and was waiting for VR11SE's (that I ordered but that never got made--not my choice at all) I was loaned a pair of new VR7SE's that I used for 4 months. so I know well the difference between active and passive Von Schweikerts and can relate to your comments.

I did notice you do have the dodoK10 in the sweet spot......I do like them a lot, especially in Ferrari red......its japanese design and engineering at its best.

I did move them out of my sweet spot listening. I did find them very clinical for longterm/ long session of music listening.....especially for some relaxed music listening after a few single malts on the weekend ....I tend to slouch a bit and slide of from a comfortable position......note not being sloshed at all !.....I do find it very clinical for comfort , probably very precise Japanese in design from toshiynki Kita

I also liked the Red K10 dodo (it really makes a statement!) but felt that the black would be better to live with. and agree it's not a '12 hour chair' as I call my 'zero gravity' chair that I use when i'm alone in the room. the dodo is a '2 hour chair' and perfect for sharing the sweet spot with the group. since it's low it does not mess up the sound for the group like my big chair. but minutes after everyone leaves my big chair is back in the sweet spot and i'm kicking back.

Mike , I think your customised room , completely private audio setup is the best I have read about and seen pics off on any audio forum......must be something very special to experience in pure audio terms......and especially the only other amp manufacturer product...The statement 18ns/458 monoblocks Dartzeel I have passionately enjoyed and admired
well .....must try to listen to the London dealers setup

i'm appreciative of the kind comments.:D

if you ever hear the 18NS-458 combo i'd enjoy your thoughts on it.

I know I would enjoy listening to your Tenor-VSA system too as I lived with that combo myself back in the day. and you have taken both brands further than I did. congrats on a great system and wonderful room.

Last edited:

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
hello mike

thanks for your invite.....will definitely take you up on your offer when I am on your side of the pond.....would love to listen to the statement Dartzeels in your very sophisticated , customised and optimised listening room with all the sum of parts put together so carefully with one goal .....music as the mike , captured it !!...must be taking you to music heaven everytime you power them on.

Your are most wellcome if you come my side of the water and many thanks for your kind words.

my feedback! .....if and when I listen to Dartzeels 18ns/ 458......should be an absolute delight....ie the listening

Sam

Last edited:

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
For those in search of the virtues of the Organic Dartzeel combo and the Fully Contentious Dark Knight Tenor combo ......you'll must have read the Mike M. review @ 6 moons on the tenor 350m HP gen 2 upgrade!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/tenor/1.html

For me the latest format from tenor 350 m HP generation 2 monoblocks / tenor preamp 1 in 3.01 latest version seems to give me all the followning in one

1. The Magic of the Dartzeel 108/ns18 with its mellifluous midrange to die for ,

2. The fabulous speed and air around the sound and music from the Kronzilla monoblocks and

3. The full of content presentation of the original tenor 350m

And much more in its latest form

on refection , reading mike m very exhaustive and indepth 6moon review.......for me with the original HP package starting with

1 tenor 350m/ preamp 1
2 tenor 350 m HP ( 400watt)/ preamp 1
3 tenor 350 m HP ( 500 watt)/ preamp 1 , 3.01 version the latest current version

This change may be small compared to the 400 HP setup I was using......but this change does make all that difference for me.
It does present a much more coherent sound which borders on being so close to real ......to what the recording mic picked up for the recording engineer as he had planned .

The air around the sounds is much fuller with the beautiful bounce and speed making sounds sooo very musical*.

The major speed of the presentation and the magical lower midrange /*low frequencies resolution ......makes the music so hearty and soulful .... full of life ......and almost "palpable"for me:rolleyes:

What I like the most , amidst all the heighten*resolution is that the presentation at no time distract from the whole music .
In*particular the*foward march from row 5 centre presentation to 1 row centre ........makes music so life like and real that I could reach out and touch/feel it !;)

In my pleasure zone , I had gone from being in-awe,**startled with the episodes of goose bumps to being blissfully happy with the music and smugly smiling all the time the system is playing!!

It compels me to make a trip up to London ...ie absolute sounds and listen to their Dartzeel 458 monoblock /ns 18 preamp set..heard its out off this world . I am sure I might leave smiling!,....more so perpetutual smile!!!.... especially when the new dartzeel preamp and power amp come into play

I can strongly recommend the new tenor combo worthy of a serious listen in your quest for sonic nirvana .....I am sure with time there will be more scope for precived improvement !!

enjoy your music :b

Sam

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing