Comments?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Interesting article and I can't say I disagree. However, I can see our resident measurement-prone/dependent members jumping all over the last paragraphs.

BTW: Toronto is a hotbed for vinyl.....endless choices.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm pretty sure CD's and MP3's can't reproduce a 10 (or even 5) kHz square wave very well (nor can LP's, probably) but someone else can chime in with pictures.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's no secret that aside from tape, vinyl is my preferred medium but man, that last paragraph made my head hurt.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think the article is seriously flawed with regards to the interpretation of a square wave and how it's reproduced.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Loved the part about the coils. WTF?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It later crossed my mind that by "square waves" perhaps he was referring to the aggressive peak-limiting so common nowadays. So he might be saying that it takes what is essentially a flaw in LP reproduction (in the sense that it is not a perfect reproduction of the input signal) to partially ameliorate another flaw that he (as a mastering engineer) intentionally introduced into the recording :D:mad:

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I can certainly understand the attraction of LP's, and I'm not surprised it's remained a strong niche product - the sound of a well setup system can be compelling. I once read a post by Stereophile's John Atkinson stating although the lows and highs on LP's have issues, the mid band was equivalent to high resolution (20-bits).

Although I've more than once considered adding a turntable to my system, the tinkering and maintenance involved with LP's has always discouraged me - I just want to actively listen to well reproduced music. I know the recording and mastering processes are by far the most important aspect of music reproduction. And although I do enjoy well sourced and mastered RBCD's, to my ear SACD's sound more open with more dynamic contrasts and air than RBCD. I've found many of the SACD's in my collection can also be quite compelling.

Unfortunately neither LP or SACD provides consumer availability to many artists/titles. Perhaps computer audio can ultimately bring the majority of listeners and music together by offering different sound resolution at specific price points for various devices.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Indeed, it's the kind of thing which makes me skeptical of the whole idea of people preferring LP's because they have better sound. I don't want to get into that discussion (again!), I'm just saying that the arguments put forth here don't hold water.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Hilarious article, especially the technical explanation of why people don't like to listen to square waves. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the humor was accidental, or intentional.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing