Recording to live for.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Added a few more in Post #2 (bolded)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just got the All Mornin' Long Remaster by APO (Red Garland Trio)...going to compare to the original CD. ;) will update my Post #5 if materially better!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, comparison of 2 Red Garland Trio CD versions of All Mornin' Long:
- Prestige Original Jazz Classic Series CD (20-bit Remaster...Serial Number starts OJC)
- New APO Prestige Series Mono Remastering

The volume level is very very different. The older CD you play at 27...and on the newer one you need to be at 44 to get to about the same level (without measuring). But the clarity of the bass is striking...one muffled, one actually a joy to just listen to as it strums along in the background. Overall, a superior result...and I am telling you, I really, really enjoyed listening to the OJC version for YEARS.

Well, guess that just keeps me on the straight and narrow with redbook CD...thanks APO! will now update Post #5 below!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, I have both the MFSL CD of Folk Singer and the MFSL Anadisc 200 gram recording. The CD is exceptional, the Anadisc is in another league altogether.
If you can get to hear the MFSL 200 gram Anadisc, it is absolutely one of the best recordings on vinyl!

I'm going to look at my classical collection and then post some of my favorite Classical pieces.

I have little doubt! But I am a redbook only man, myself. I was speaking with Albert Porter yesterday...what a gentleman...and I was telling him that I made myself that promise over 25 years ago and have stuck to it. I have poured all my efforts and resources into the best possible redbook playback...and never touched the black stuff (or the reels of metallic stuff!) ;)...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A few classical gems:

Milhaud La creation Du Monde Boston Symphony /Charles Munch. LDS 2825---Soria original
Strauss Don Quixote Reiner/Chicago Symphony Anton Janigro Violin and Cello. LS2384--Soria Original
Adam Giselle London Symphony/ Fistoulari Mercury Golden Imports SRI-2-77003
Elgar Enigma Variations Pierre Monteux/ London Symphony LSC 2418
Stokowski Rhapsodies.. LSC 2471 Produced by Peter Dellheim. Really have to hear the Enesco Roumanian Rhapsody #1 in A.OP.11 it has a sound that is mesmerizing!
Mozart Divertimento in D Major. K334 Notturno for Four Orchestras in D Major K286---Neville Marriner. Argo ZRG 705. One of the most realistic sounding ARGO's and therefore IMO a real treat!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A few classical gems:

Milhaud La creation Du Monde Boston Symphony /Charles Munch. LDS 2825---Soria original
Strauss Don Quixote Reiner/Chicago Symphony Anton Janigro Violin and Cello. LS2384--Soria Original
Adam Giselle London Symphony/ Fistoulari Mercury Golden Imports SRI-2-77003
Elgar Enigma Variations Pierre Monteux/ London Symphony LSC 2418
Stokowski Rhapsodies.. LSC 2471 Produced by Peter Dellheim. Really have to hear the Enesco Roumanian Rhapsody #1 in A.OP.11 it has a sound that is mesmerizing!
Mozart Divertimento in D Major. K334 Notturno for Four Orchestras in D Major K286---Neville Marriner. Argo ZRG 705. One of the most realistic sounding ARGO's and therefore IMO a real treat!

On the Mozart, I checked and amazon did not have it on cd...but they had a Linn records recording well reviewed with Scottish orchestra. Linn Records recordings are quite good in my experience. By random chance, have you heard this one any compared?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
On the Mozart, I checked and amazon did not have it on cd...but they had a Linn records recording well reviewed with Scottish orchestra. Linn Records recordings are quite good in my experience. By random chance, have you heard this one any compared?

Lloyd, i have NOT heard the Linn recording. However, like you pointed out, Linn recordings are usually very good. I would be tempted to get the Linn, I know that the Argo LP is almost unobtanium ( Plus, you are only listening on Redbook). Perhaps, I shouldn't recommend some of the hard to find pieces; OTOH, the Argo LP's are some of the best classical recordings that I own.

Next up, I'm pulling out some of my Sheffield Lab DD LP's... I still like these after all these years. ( Still Harry;) )

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, i have NOT heard the Linn recording. However, like you pointed out, Linn recordings are usually very good. I would be tempted to get the Linn, I know that the Argo LP is almost unobtanium ( Plus, you are only listening on Redbook). Perhaps, I shouldn't recommend some of the hard to find pieces; OTOH, the Argo LP's are some of the best classical recordings that I own.

Next up, I'm pulling out some of my Sheffield Lab DD LP's... I still like these after all these years. ( Still Harry;) )

I have a couple Sheffield Labs CDs...Gershwin and Stravinsky...and keep recommending the best you have...worth the effort to go find it! Thanks.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have a couple Sheffield Labs CDs...Gershwin and Stravinsky...and keep recommending the best you have...worth the effort to go find it! Thanks.

Thank you, Lloyd.

A few more classical pieces...this time on the famous EMI label.
The Beecham Legacy Vol 1 HQS 1108--very spacious and airy recording
Rachmaninoff 2nd Symphony Andre Previn ASD 2889
Beethoven Symphony No7, Sir Thomas Beecham SXLP 30286-- a must hear IF you like Beecham.
The Wand of Youth Suites. Sir Adrian Boult/ London Philharmonic Orchestra ASD 2356 Incredible string recording!
Tchaikovsky Symphony #4 Mstislav Rostropovitch ASD 3647

Next up some of the Sheffield's and other D2D's.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sheffield Lab D2 D's...

Sheffield Lab Michael Newman Classical guitar Lab 10...great recording of a classical guitar, BUT the music is a little tedious.
Sheffield Lab Track Record, Lab 20..great recording of marginal music.
Sheffield Lab Discovered Again, Dave Grusin Lab 5--the old war horse still sounds great, IF a little out of vogue.
Sheffield Lab The Drum record Lab 14 Superb recording of a drummer and his kit...perhaps the best on vinyl.
Sheffield Lab The name is Makowicz Lab 21 . Tremendous piano recording.

Next up the Opus 3 recordings...which IMHO are still way way under-rated.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Added DiMeola/McLaughlin/DeLucia - Friday Night in San Francisco (Speakers Corner)

?See Post #2 for updated list.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you, Lloyd.

A few more classical pieces...this time on the famous EMI label.
The Beecham Legacy Vol 1 HQS 1108--very spacious and airy recording
Rachmaninoff 2nd Symphony Andre Previn ASD 2889
Beethoven Symphony No7, Sir Thomas Beecham SXLP 30286-- a must hear IF you like Beecham.
The Wand of Youth Suites. Sir Adrian Boult/ London Philharmonic Orchestra ASD 2356 Incredible string recording!
Tchaikovsky Symphony #4 Mstislav Rostropovitch ASD 3647

Next up some of the Sheffield's and other D2D's.

Hi Davey, a question on a few of these: 1) Have you heard Pletnev's Tchaikovsky recordings which I really enjoyed listening to after getting them all this weekend? Comparison to Rostropovich? (FWIW, I preferred Pletnev to the Karajan 4 and it tied with both Gergiev and Sokhiev 5 which are also excellent. I have some Rostropovich collections (2 actually)...and will have to see if his Tchaikovsky's 4th is in there somewhere.)

On Beethoven, I have the '63 Karajan, Sir Christopher Hogwood and Furtwangler (took me months, but managed to find all the various symphonies, each carefully remastered from France, one at a time). If Furtwangler had better sound, I would listen to it more often...sensational. But I am spoiled for choice and enjoy Karajan for something close/similar in some respects with superior sound. The Hogwood is great for an entirely different sound.

Thoughts on how Beecham compares if you've heard any of these? Thanks!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Lloyd, you bring up some good questions. I have NOT heard the Pletnev Tchaikovsky recordings, therefore cannot compare to Rostropovich.
I have heard the '63 Karajan with Furtwangler...not sure what pressing, as it was at a friend's who is a big Furtwangler fan. Personally, I am not so much a fan as IMO he
is always poorly recorded ( at least the times I have heard him). The Beecham recordings are superb, both in sound and music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd, you bring up some good questions. I have NOT heard the Pletnev Tchaikovsky recordings, therefore cannot compare to Rostropovich.
I have heard the '63 Karajan with Furtwangler...not sure what pressing, as it was at a friend's who is a big Furtwangler fan. Personally, I am not so much a fan as IMO he
is always poorly recorded ( at least the times I have heard him). The Beecham recordings are superb, both in sound and music.
thanks...the remasterings from boutique labels in France help a lot...but the furtwanglers still won't sound like the '63 Karajan let alone a BIS, Channel, Hyperion or Audite. That said, it's enough (barely) so that an audiophile can listen to furtwanglers instead of the terrible hiss...and he is, for me, like Vladmir Horowitz on piano...old school, brilliant technicals, old world interpretation which manages to be sweeping and yet never melodramatic...always always perfectly controlled. Sweeping but disciplined. But you have to get past the hiss to hear it. I think Tahra does some of the remasterings well if you're at all interested.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Added 2 more Beethoven CDs in bold which I think are pretty special (Post #5)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Some jazz and others:

Johnny Griffin, The Little Giant. JVC XRCD- JVCXR-0039-2
Kenny Dorham, Quiet Kenny. JVC XRCD- JVCXR-0049-2. Or if possible on the original Blue Note LP.

and the others:
Rickie Lee Jones, Pop Pop. GEFD 24426
There's a Time, Doug Macleod, reference recordings RR-130 Superb Blues recording.
Sara K, Play on Words. CHESKY JD105

AND NOW SOME COMPILATIONS:

30 Years Fidelity, Kirkelig Kulturversted FXCD-285. This one's a real treat, superb recording and several tracks that showcase Kari Bremnes incredible vocal talents.
HDCD Sampler, Reference Recordings RR-S3CD...a must own sampler with a great mix of musical styles. Plus, Prof Johnson's recording expertise is on full display here.
Burmester Vorfuhrungs CD3 --a true reference recording in digital.
The Fi/Analogue Productions sampler. Samples of Blues, Pop and Jazz that are truly outstanding.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Luis Armstrong - Satchmo plays King Oliver (Classic Records reissuse of RCA Living Stereo)

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Some jazz and others:

Johnny Griffin, The Little Giant. JVC XRCD- JVCXR-0039-2
Kenny Dorham, Quiet Kenny. JVC XRCD- JVCXR-0049-2. Or if possible on the original Blue Note LP.

and the others:
Rickie Lee Jones, Pop Pop. GEFD 24426
There's a Time, Doug Macleod, reference recordings RR-130 Superb Blues recording.
Sara K, Play on Words. CHESKY JD105

AND NOW SOME COMPILATIONS:

30 Years Fidelity, Kirkelig Kulturversted FXCD-285. This one's a real treat, superb recording and several tracks that showcase Kari Bremnes incredible vocal talents.
HDCD Sampler, Reference Recordings RR-S3CD...a must own sampler with a great mix of musical styles. Plus, Prof Johnson's recording expertise is on full display here.
Burmester Vorfuhrungs CD3 --a true reference recording in digital.
The Fi/Analogue Productions sampler. Samples of Blues, Pop and Jazz that are truly outstanding.

There is quite a number of Kirkelig Kulturverksted and 2L recordings from Norway as well as Proprius and Opus 3 recordings from Sweden which are quite spectacular and should make such a list. I will get back to a list later.

I would like to start with two from KKV:
Oslo Gospel Choir - Salmeskatt
Kari Bremnes - Løsrivelse

www.kkv.no

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
There is quite a number of Kirkelig Kulturverksted and 2L recordings from Norway as well as Proprius and Opus 3 recordings from Sweden which are quite spectacular and should make such a list. I will get back to a list later.

I would like to start with two from KKV:
Oslo Gospel Choir - Salmeskatt
Kari Bremnes - Løsrivelse

www.kkv.no

Roysen, please do post the KK, Proprius and Opus 3 recordings that you like. I TOTALLY agree with you, they are quite spectacular and IMO VERY underrated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing