YG Acoustics Kipod II Signature speakers / active woofer

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Any one out there heard these speakers?

This is the newest version with the machined aluminum drivers, improved x-over, etc.

GG

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Not that model in particular, and only show-room experience. Saying that, I liked more the sound of small YGs than the larger models...but that is me.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not that model in particular, and only show-room experience. Saying that, I liked more the sound of small YGs than the larger models...but that is me.

I'd be looking at the scaled down Sonjas.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Check out the new Haley. It's a better design. I love the Kipod but it is designed for smaller rooms. The Haley has a bigger woofer and larger volume. I think the Haley looks nicer too. Scotty has a pair. I haven't heard them yet. I hope I'll hear them soon. I am sure they are awesome.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Check out the new Haley. It's a better design. I love the Kipod but it is designed for smaller rooms. The Haley has a bigger woofer and larger volume. I think the Haley looks nicer too. Scotty has a pair. I haven't heard them yet. I hope I'll hear them soon. I am sure they are awesome.

The Hailey is a scaled down Sonja.

Plus there's one model under the Hailey too in the line.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thanks for the input gentlemen but I only have so much money that I can print.

Can anyone comment on the "volume level" issue in a small to mid-size room? Say 15' X 20'.

Per the reviews and from what I've gleaned in talking with some folks, they play fine within "reasonable" volume levels.

90% of what I listen to is classical and jazz with peaks at 95db or so.

GG

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I wouldn't say that's a small room. I have heard the passive version of the kipod 2 in a larger room with krell amp. The bass was plentiful. I think Yoav is squeezing some extra low end out of the passive kipod. That's just my guess. If I got the kipod, it would have to be passive and a serious SS amp.

Can anyone comment on the "volume level" issue in a small to mid-size room? Say 15' X 20'.

Per the reviews and from what I've gleaned in talking with some folks, they play fine within "reasonable" volume levels.

GG

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Here is the YG line up;

Sonja 1.1(2 way mtm, head unit)
Sonja 1.2(add 1 bass module)
Sonja 1.3(add 1 more bass module)
Anat III
Anat III Studio
Anat III Pro
Hailey
Kipod II
Carmel

The new Hailey has the same woofer and tweeter as the Sonja, but instead of two 6" midrange drivers the Hailey has one 7.25" midrange driver.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

GG

Sorry Gordon thought the Hailey was actually a little less than the Kipod but maybe got the prices wrong.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

GG

I have the Carmels in a 12x21 living room which are driven by by a Vitus SIA 025 integrated. I have no problems with volume levels and other than a headbanger I do not think other people would. The bass is not quite as low as with much bigger speakers as you would expect, but the quality is first class.The imagining, dynamics, soundstaging and channel separation are superb. If I remember rightly one of the top Stereophile reviewers said they were his favourite YG speakes earlier this year..

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Barry, thanks for your insight. Very helpful.

Dallas, I have the Pass Labs X250.5 amp. Along with the powered sub, I don't think I'll be lacking for clean, undistorted power given the fact that the Pass Labs will only be driving the top module. I also like the fact that I can adjust the bass module's sound to address most room induced bass anomalies.

Myles, current MSRP's for the Kipod II Sig and the Hailey are $38,800 and $42,000 respectively. If I went with the Hailey, I'd probably need to shop for a new amp(s), which is something I really don't want to do. Having said that, the Hailey is certainly more visually attractive and only about 7" more in height.

Finally, my arrangement with GTT Audio is that I am buying a used pair and Bill will take my MBL 116's in trade. This minimizes current out of pocket expenses. A necessity at this point in time.

Many factors in the buying decision.

Thank you all again for your valuable input. D-day 2/21.

GG

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry, thanks for your insight. Very helpful.

Dallas, I have the Pass Labs X250.5 amp. Along with the powered sub, I don't think I'll be lacking for clean, undistorted power given the fact that the Pass Labs will only be driving the top module. I also like the fact that I can adjust the bass module's sound to address most room induced bass anomalies.

Myles, current MSRP's for the Kipod II Sig and the Hailey are $38,800 and $42,000 respectively. If I went with the Hailey, I'd probably need to shop for a new amp(s), which is something I really don't want to do. Having said that, the Hailey is certainly more visually attractive and only about 7" more in height.

Finally, my arrangement with GTT Audio is that I am buying a used pair and Bill will take my MBL 116's in trade. This minimizes current out of pocket expenses. A necessity at this point in time.

Many factors in the buying decision.

Thank you all again for your valuable input. D-day 2/21.

GG
Glad it was helpful GG.
I forgot to mention that they are on 6 Ultra SS Stillpoints which improved the sound significantly. Recommend you try them on the Kipods. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
This room was better than s..

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Barry,

I will try my BDR pucks first. They worked quite well (floor isolation attenuation) with my Martin Logan Summits and my MBL's.

Peter, I'm confused. What are you saying?

GG

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
I have had the Kipod II signatures with active woofer for around a year. Listening to them right now. Before these I had the Carmels. I am in a 14 x 19 x 8 room. Sound is very nice. Musical detailed, insane soundstage and imaging. Next stop will be the Haleys for me. Same woofer as Sonjas and I like the idea of the larger single midrange. If you have any questions let me know.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have had the Kipod II signatures with active woofer for around a year. Listening to them right now. Before these I had the Carmels. I am in a 14 x 19 x 8 room. Sound is very nice. Musical detailed, insane soundstage and imaging. Next stop will be the Haleys for me. Same woofer as Sonjas and I like the idea of the larger single midrange. If you have any questions let me know.

I was very interested to read your post.
As you may have seen from my earlier contribution I have Carmels in a similar sized room and am tempted to move up to the Kipods, I would be grateful to learn how you found the Kipods to compare with the Carmels and the notable areas of improvement. I was also wondering if you considered the passive Kipods and if so why you preferred the active versions.
I look forward to reading your comments and thanks in advance
Barry

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
I was very interested to read your post.
As you may have seen from my earlier contribution I have Carmels in a similar sized room and am tempted to move up to the Kipods, I would be grateful to learn how you found the Kipods to compare with the Carmels and the notable areas of improvement. I was also wondering if you considered the passive Kipods and if so why you preferred the active versions.
I look forward to reading your comments and thanks in advance
Barry
I used my Carmels with a pr. of JL Audio F110 subs and never felt they were lacking, I ran them full range and used the subs from just under 40hz down. Sound was great. I listened to a comparison of the active and passive Kipods at YG. Felt the passives were slightly more coherent used with the DCS/krell system they had. But also felt my amps would do better with driving only the tops of the Kipods. I also have had bass issues in my room and thought the subs would be better for me. The bass from the Kipods is on a completely different level than what I had with the Carmel setup. Shocking how much better. I have my Kipods on the short wall 57" from the front wall to back of speakers, 33" from side walls to outside of speakers with a slight toe in. I'm around 9' from them. The only thing I miss about the Carmels was the way they pushed vocals a little forward and a little larger than the Kipods. All in all the Kipods are on a much higher level. Both are easy for my BAT REX monoblocks to drive, but I would (will) move to a big SS amp when moving up to bigger or any of the passive YG models. If you have any more detailed questions fell free to send me a message through this site.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi trh,

Thanks for your posts.

I'm going for the active model also for the same "amp friendly" reasons.

Any comments on the "volume" question would be appreciated.

Did you experience any distortion issues at louder volumes or are they fine except for the "head banger" type?

GG

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Barry2013,

I also have the Carmels (driven by BMC M2 monoblocks) and am interested in the Stillpoint enhancement. What size adapters did you need to fit into the Carmels?

Thanks,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing