My systems 1

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yamamura made 3 different Dionisio. the 32 (that is aestetically littlem different and with a much littler motu, it seems like the PNOE speaker but with rectangular mouth).
Th Dionisio 27 with normal mouth (about 1.30 x 1.40 metter and horn long about 5.2 meters) and the Dioniso 27 with larger mouth (about 1.8 x 1.18 mt and horn of 5.5 meters long).
The numbers 32, 27 represent the lower frequency the speaker is able to reproduce (theoretically th 27 large mouth should be called 25).
Where have you listened the Dionisio?
:)

It was many years ago in London, I think that it was in their showroom in the Castle but memory fails me and could have been at some audio show. I mostly remember how impressive they looked. I heard various Yamamura systems at different times, there were some infinite baffle speakers using the same full range driver at some point too which really didn't work all that well. I never really connected with his systems, they were always at some stage of development but never quite there when I heard them.

david

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
Their Showroom was in Tilsbury where Yamamura Churchill had their head office and part of production (cables and accessories).
But Tilsbury is about 100 miles from London.
I went there before buying my Dionisio and met Mr Churchill and his wife who lived there.
Dionisio 27 were produced in Italy (as Bé Yamamura lived in Italy near Verona) an only 6 pairs were made.
3 with smaller mouth and 3 with the bigger mouth.
1 pair was (with smalle mouth) in Tilsbury (GB) (and after the closing of the society, was sold in Italy to a friend) and 1 pair was sold to Mr. Pierre Bolduc who took it at different fairs.
The others 4 pairs (2 big and 2 "small") were all sold in Italy (and i know all the owners). Now one of these pair is going to Japan (it was owned by a friend who had 2 pairs).
The open baffle speaker was the Palladio it could be made (as also the Dionisio, but it was decided that the 200 was not good for it) with the Cantus speaker 150 and 200 mm.
Th little speaker on stand was the Ariadne (only with cantus 150).
First Cantus version was really not well extended in low and high frequencies and was made in Washi paper.
From the second version the paper was different lighter andmore rigid but still with the same suspension (carbon fiber rings) suspension.
The third used external suspension and was more extended in frequencies, but a lot of the air/sound that shoud go in the back horn didn0t so Be decided to produce one more version.
So we arrive at the fourth and final version...

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Like a few others, came to the thread late.
Works of art, if all sound as good as they they look, impressive as hell.

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
Thanks!
I hope so!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Their Showroom was in Tilsbury where Yamamura Churchill had their head office and part of production (cables and accessories).
But Tilsbury is about 100 miles from London.
I went there before buying my Dionisio and met Mr Churchill and his wife who lived there.
Dionisio 27 were produced in Italy (as Bé Yamamura lived in Italy near Verona) an only 6 pairs were made.
3 with smaller mouth and 3 with the bigger mouth.
1 pair was (with smalle mouth) in Tilsbury (GB) (and after the closing of the society, was sold in Italy to a friend) and 1 pair was sold to Mr. Pierre Bolduc who took it at different fairs.
The others 4 pairs (2 big and 2 "small") were all sold in Italy (and i know all the owners). Now one of these pair is going to Japan (it was owned by a friend who had 2 pairs).
The open baffle speaker was the Palladio it could be made (as also the Dionisio, but it was decided that the 200 was not good for it) with the Cantus speaker 150 and 200 mm.
Th little speaker on stand was the Ariadne (only with cantus 150).
First Cantus version was really not well extended in low and high frequencies and was made in Washi paper.
From the second version the paper was different lighter andmore rigid but still with the same suspension (carbon fiber rings) suspension.
The third used external suspension and was more extended in frequencies, but a lot of the air/sound that shoud go in the back horn didn0t so Be decided to produce one more version.
So we arrive at the fourth and final version...

Thanks for the update here, there's so little information available on the history of these speakers anywhere. I remember their old showroom, it was part of some sort of a castle, a wonderful hall. I was driven there so I didn't pay much attention to where we were going but I remember going outside of London. I'm guessing yours is the final 4th version and probably the only one around. I haven't followed Yamamura for years, I heard that he retired to Japan, but according to your ALE story he's still active, do you have any backup drivers for your Dionisio? Which part of Italy do you live Pietro?

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
But there is another audiophile/producer, Roberto delle Curti, living near me who owns a bigger horn subwoofer:http://www.royaldevice.com/customita1.htm

I remember seeing these picture about 10 years ago, that's one way to do bass!

In any case, the ALE system after all this sert up time is really good, very dynamic and wirth a rich timber, low frequencies are very deep and fast with attack and decay really natural.
But it took more than 2 years (about 6 stay of Yamamura of more than 1 month each) and difefrent changments to arrive here...

Good enough to trade in your Dionisio for them?

This was my point earlier, its very difficult to make a decent speaker out of these drivers. Personally, I find digital xovers and dacs a bad joke at this price point. For the most part what you get is infinite amount of tweaking and some aha moments but without ever being able to finalize the system.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I like this system. Lots of wood and very little metal. :D

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
Thanks for the update here, there's so little information available on the history of these speakers anywhere. I remember their old showroom, it was part of some sort of a castle, a wonderful hall. I was driven there so I didn't pay much attention to where we were going but I remember going outside of London. I'm guessing yours is the final 4th version and probably the only one around. I haven't followed Yamamura for years, I heard that he retired to Japan, but according to your ALE story he's still active, do you have any backup drivers for your Dionisio? Which part of Italy do you live Pietro?

david

I live between Milano and the lake of Como.
Yes i own 2 pairs of Cantus 150 IV and i keep one of them as spare part.
Yes Be is still active, he was present at the last Top Audioand Video Show in Milano in October 2012 and i met him in 2013 while he was working on my friend ALE System.
He is producing new platinum cables (i am not interested at all in cables).
Pietro

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
I remember seeing these picture about 10 years ago, that's one way to do bass!

Good enough to trade in your Dionisio for them?

This was my point earlier, its very difficult to make a decent speaker out of these drivers. Personally, I find digital xovers and dacs a bad joke at this price point. For the most part what you get is infinite amount of tweaking and some aha moments but without ever being able to finalize the system.

ALE is a very different way, i belive, to listen to music from Dionisio. ALE is more performing but i find more near my feelings Dionisio way to sound.
In the past i had different important systems that needed to be multi amplified (and i did it with extrenale electronic and never by digital, xover, i find they never sound as i would). But some yesrs ago (it was 1990! GASP!) i found that it could be an interessing way but, perhaps becoming older i chose "the simple way" of passive xover or even no xover at all (as for Dionisio or FAL).
Pietro

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
If you are speaking of Dionisio, they are in fiberglass coated by cork.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I live between Milano and the lake of Como.
Yes i own 2 pairs of Cantus 150 IV and i keep one of them as spare part.
Yes Be is still active, he was present at the last Top Audioand Video Show in Milano in October 2012 and i met him in 2013 while he was working on my friend ALE System.
He is producing new platinum cables (i am not interested at all in cables).
Pietro

Good to know that he's around if you need him and I feel the same about cables.

If you are speaking of Dionisio, they are in fiberglass coated by cork.

I thought that they were made from copper or that's what I remember being told.

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
In origin Be spoke of a bronze Dionisio 32 but he sono understood that weight would be enormous and abbaondoned the idea in few time so they were produced (just in 1 or 2 pairs) in wood + cork (the Dionisio 32), but they had a really smaller mouth and strutture (like PNOE).
So when Be immagine the new 27, he understood that to keep the weight in a logic range he had to change in fiberglass + cork.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
In origin Be spoke of a bronze Dionisio 32 but he sono understood that weight would be enormous and abbaondoned the idea in few time so they were produced (just in 1 or 2 pairs) in wood + cork (the Dionisio 32), but they had a really smaller mouth and strutture (like PNOE).
So when Be immagine the new 27, he understood that to keep the weight in a logic range he had to change in fiberglass + cork.
And cost too!

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
David do you feel the Klangfilms need to be reconed/refurbished to bring them back to spec?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David do you feel the Klangfilms need to be reconed/refurbished to bring them back to spec?

For the most part no, the drivers are extremely robust and well made and with no foam or rubber surrounds nothing to worry about. If not abused they even look and feel brand new as if they were made yesterday. Over the years I had a couple of Eurodyns that the woofers were rubbing, not difficult to fix and one pair that I had to re-magnetize, otherwise, plug and play. Just be weary though, these are old speakers and some are put together with parts found here and there, then you need to work on them.

david

PS. Sorry for late reply, I didn't see your post until today.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
For the most part no, the drivers are extremely robust and well made and with no foam or rubber surrounds nothing to worry about. If not abused they even look and feel brand new as if they were made yesterday. Over the years I had a couple of Eurodyns that the woofers were rubbing, not difficult to fix and one pair that I had to re-magnetize, otherwise, plug and play. Just be weary though, these are old speakers and some are put together with parts found here and there, then you need to work on them.

david

PS. Sorry for late reply, I didn't see your post until today.

Thank you and, no problem. I am away from the message boards for weeks at a time when I'm busy.

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
A new pic, made playing among Yamamura/Shindo/Audio Tekné.

987rmf.jpg

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
David or Pietro have you heard systems based around ALE or GOTO drivers?
This system is owned by a friend, it is made all around ALE drivers and Be Yamamura amplifiers. Some Horns are in bronze (and they weight a lot, the spekear system is around 2700 Kgs each channel). You can't easily see, but there is an horn subwoofer behind the system.
The 6 way system is made completely by ALE driver (even the subwoofer doesn't use a normal subwoofer but a compressione driver wheigthing zoo kgs each)....
-:)

2s8kz7k.jpg

Attachments

• 14tq9mr.jpg
    14tq9mr.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 281
Reactions: hogen

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I always wanted to see these horns...stunning.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing