My systems 1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) not difficult to fix and one pair that I had to re-magnetize (...)

Apologies for my technical curiosity, how did you re-magnetize a speaker magnet once the unit is assembled?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Apologies for my technical curiosity, how did you re-magnetize a speaker magnet once the unit is assembled?
It's a machine called remagnetizer and they run an electric current around the magnet to magnetize it.

david

Last edited:

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
IMG_3356.JPG

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
IMG_3694.JPG

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, are you playing the Ikeda and gold finger in place of your zyx?

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
In this moment i am using the Goldfinger, few days ago was the Ikeda, next week perhaps ZYX... i like to change.
:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please let us know what you think of the differences

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
With my english it will be not easy to make me understandable...
The Ikeda is very dynamic, difficult to make it well tracking, and with a "voice" that i can't think neutral. I think it can be difende by the word: Wilderness. It speaks more to heart than to brain and makes strong sensations in listening. Some gendres of music are so well reproduced that i forgive it all little deafaults it has.
Clearaudio is a good cartridge, more linear, a good dynamic, good separation, not difficult to set, well tracking. A little of warmth (the opposite of old Clearaudio Insider Reference). It speaks more to brain and when music has a complicate message it is winning on Ikeda (the contrari when music/band is simplex and made by few persons).
Both have to work at around 2.8 grams.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What about on classical, piano, violin, orchestras, and compared to zyx?

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
For me and used in my systems, ZYX and Audio Note IO LTD are unbeatebles on classical Records.
Kondo IOM and J. Allarts MC2 F1 are real near and i think they are really a very good alternative to the first two).
If i look to dynamics on single instrument (piano, violin etc), Ikeda can easily play the game (even better) with ZYX but you must accept a "voice" that ce be not perfectly aligned to neutrality.
Clearaudio is nearer to ZYX (but behind) in neutrality and near (but behind) in dynamics than Ikeda.
I feel it is a good cartridge interesting for listening a lot of differents kind of music (like and better than Micro Benz LP), but i have never felt with this cartridge my skin becoming "chicken skin" (i don't know if in the USA you use the same way to tell).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For me and used in my systems, ZYX and Audio Note IO LTD are unbeatebles on classical Records.
Kondo IOM and J. Allarts MC2 F1 are real near and i think they are really a very good alternative to the first two).
If i look to dynamics on single instrument (piano, violin etc), Ikeda can easily play the game (even better) with ZYX but you must accept a "voice" that ce be not perfectly aligned to neutrality.
Clearaudio is nearer to ZYX (but behind) in neutrality and near (but behind) in dynamics than Ikeda.
I feel it is a good cartridge interesting for listening a lot of differents kind of music (like and better than Micro Benz LP), but i have never felt with this cartridge my skin becoming "chicken skin" (i don't know if in the USA you use the same way to tell).

Thanks, great feedback. I heard the Jan Allaertz Boron through the FM 223 and was very impressed. Does it do separation as well as the Zyx?

Also, is it easy for you to swap carts easily, or does it take time?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Thank you very much for feedbacks sir.
I think they call goose bump over there sir.

Tang

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
When you say separation, you mean the separation between the two channels?
In this case i think that my JA has better separation than my ZYX. ZYX has a deeper image more detached and between the speakers.
JA as an image more on speakers. It could be interesting, i think, if you have speakers with little distances between them.
The changing of carts depends on tonearm and on the cart you have to change. With Graham it is easier (even with the very difficult to set Ikeda), with Versa it is easy too, with da Vinci and Pluto it is more difficult and will take more time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To clarify, your Allaerts is the formula?

Also, the notes you posted above, are using the FM phono And Yamamura? I wanted to understand in that system specifically.

Separately, will these differences also hold true with the goldmund phono?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I owned the Allaerts Finish--that was/is king of the Hill--I preferred it to the ZYX.

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What arm and phono did you use it with? Will it work with fr64?

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
I own the Jan Allaerts MC2 Formula 1 in the system with Yamamura speakers i use the Monaco GP audio with Graham Phantom II, Kondo 6 trasformare + FM Acoustic 122 MKII phono MM + Preamplifier mono line Yamamura.
Using the differenti cartridges i have in the different systems i have, i have made this ranking. Of course in some systems the ranking could be little different but if i put all my considerazione togheter i arrive to the conclusione i wrote before.
The phono used are also: Audio Note M3 + S3, Shindo Mombrison, Sàkuma La Chanson Concorde, Exposure VII.
The others tonearms: Pluto 5A prestige titanium, Da Vinci Reference Gran Grandezza, Versa Dynamics 2.0.
Best result for JA MC2 F1 in my opinion is on Versa 2.0 + Goldmund Apologue (Mimesis 22H + PH3.8 + Telos 360).
I don't know if the JA will work well with FR 64 as i never used it with this tonearm.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You put the JA through a Kondo SUT into the MM stage of the FM? Not directly into the MC?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing