What favorite LPs have you accidentally 'destroyed'?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
By destroyed I mean, scratched with your fingernails while putting on a platter, dropping it the floor thereby causing scuffs and scratches, and other acts that rendered the LPs unplayable due to noise. OUCH !!!

1. DGG Vivaldi 4 Seasons by The Berliner Philharmoniker/Karajan (Was so excited to bring this LP to a friend's place and while entering my car, the vinyl slipped out as the inner plastic had its 'mouth' facing the opened area of the jacket. It fell on the cement floor and incurred several scratches and dirt to boot. I bought another copy).

2. Edition Open Window - Italienische Musik Fur Laute/Barockgitarre Und Cembalo (German Pressing of Lute and Organ Musik. It was a bit warped and I read a method to de-warp LPs via the oven and I overcooked it. A painful loss)

3.. Eva Cassidy - Songbird (I don't know how a long hairline got into Side 1 after a few plays so I figured it must have been my fingernail that did it. I had to buy another copy)

4. Billy Joe Walker - Treehouse (MCA Records. I dropped it while about to clean it on my VPI RCM. What an irony. Scratched a few cuts).

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
just thinking about this makes me ill.

my most favorite Lp for about three years 'was' the 'Neil Young Greatest Hits'. particularly side 3 with 'Needle and the Damage Done' and 'Old Man'. i played that sucker at least weekly. those 2 cuts were perfectly mastered and pressed. i loved the music and there was a magic to the sound.

one day that lp slipped out of my hand while handling and i 'gouged' 'Needle and the first 30 seconds of 'Old Man'. i was sick.

the problem is that the first pressing sold out. i purchased another pressing and it's not the same; but the two are identical and even the dead wax is identical. so there is no way to really buy another knowing it's the right one.

every time i think of playing the record i re-live my 'oops' and play something else. when i do play it i play 'Old Man' from the damaged pressing since it sounds better than my other pressing. the other sides from the damaged set are still better than the other pressing.

in 15 years i think i've only damaged maybe one other Lp. but wouldn't you know it one of the 2 Lps i've damaged is/was my fav.

Ocean56

Aug 26, 2010
Michigan
I have a copy of the first Queen LP (my favorite one by them). I pulled it out to play it several years ago, and it was CRACKED!

I have NO idea how/when that happened! ... :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing