Monitors?

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Last night the audio gods punished me (perhaps for questioning Mr. Mark Levinson) by causing one of the woofers on my well-aged Genesis IM-5200s to fail. This came as a shock: I was listening to chamber music at the time, and I never listen at high volumes. In any event, I confirmed in a phone conversation with Mr. Gary Koh in 2012 that the woofers on the IM-5200s are no longer stocked by Genesis, and poking around the internet, I can find neither a replacement woofer nor any useful specifications that would allow me to select another driver.

Fortunately, my JOB 225 is still fully functional (phew), so I'm looking for a new pair of speakers to use with it. I live in Manhattan and don't have a great deal of space, so I'd like to find a pair of monitors with a front ported or acoustic suspension design. This criterion eliminates a lot of promising candidates, such as the Focal monitors and the ubiquitous LS50s.

Today I heard a pair of B&W 805Ds, and I felt the treble was less airy than that from my old IM-5200s. I also was disturbed by a particular treble emphasis of the 805Ds: listening to string instruments, I felt as though I heard more transient attack than I did tone.

I've had my eye on the TAD TSM-2201-LRs for a few weeks now, but no one whom I trust knows much about them. They meet my criteria, I can buy them online, and they're probably well-engineered.

Do the wise WBF contributors have other recommendations?

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
LSA Statement available online/direct. It's aperiodically loaded so what looks like a real port actually passes gas (LOL) with extremely low velocity.

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Thanks to Bruce and JackD 201 for commenting. In the end, I caved and went with the LS50s after learning that they come with foam plugs for the ports.

They lack the magical highs of my old Genesis monitors, but in every other way, they're better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing