McCormack UDP-1

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
While my EMM Labs XDS1 is on a bit of a holiday, my dealer lent me a well-used McCormack UDP-1, universal disc player, CD, SACD, DVD, etc. Although unenthusiastic at the prospect, I plugged it in using the stock power cord and was amazed. The sound filled the room, the midrange lucious the base strong and detailed. Overall the McCormack sounds warm and tubey, yet with adequate detail. Compared to the XDS1, which costs five times more, it loses a little sparkle at the top and is not as together on complicated music. But I am enjoying myself and in no hurry to get my player back. Has anyone an opinion about the UDP-1 which is now pouring Bach into my room?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Some of those old McCormack components are real gems. Steve is a member of WBF. May be he has upgrades that would put the sparkle on the top and be more together on complicated music.

Check out the upgrade page here: http://smcaudio.nfshost.com/upgrades.php

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing