Genesis 900 subwoofer

SILVIO FERNANDEZ

Jan 19, 2014
I have a very nice set of vintage infinity irs beta speakers with completely refoamed subwoofers in my dedicated music room which i truly love.

I was able to get from a gentleman about 3 years ago another set of irs betas without the subwoofers and electronic crossover and the emims are in perfect condition. However i am using these in my small living room with a tube amp on top but need a good servo woofer. I cannot go for the genesis g-928 at present due to my present budget. There is a dealer in california who will offer me one g-900 with the 15" metal cone for a reasonable amount of $850.00 -

i have heard some problems with the servo-amp on some of the audio reviews in the web. However some have not had problems. Is this a feasable solution or am i taking real chances on the unit. This is a very reputable audiogoner. If anything ever goes wrong with the amp can this be repairable in the future?

This question should be posed to gary koh if possible.

Many thanks

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The G900 is a real risk. As far as I know, no schematics exist for it. So, if anything goes wrong with the electronics, it is not repairable. As a 20 year old Class D amplifier I think the risk is too great that it will break soon. The control and logic circuitry would be the first to go, and those chips are unobtainium. Even if we could find the chips, we probably couldn't find a programmer to re-program them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing