Constellation Audio

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Wilson Alexia 2s with Constellation gear at RMAF was outstanding.

I am currently hosting the Constellation Audio Centaur II + Virgo III. Really a superb combo, easily the best solid state I ever had in my system. Power with finesse and an excellent tonal equilibrium, really impressive dynamics. Unfortunately my TA Opus cables are not tuned to Constellation Audio and I can not listen to them at their best.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have youv tried the valve pre amps with the constellation power amp yet?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Have youv tried the valve pre amps with the constellation power amp yet?

Not yet ... The Constellation Audio's are still in the burn-in phase, but I will surely try the ARC REF40 with the Centaur before is leaves ...

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Not yet ... The Constellation Audio's are still in the burn-in phase, but I will surely try the ARC REF40 with the Centaur before is leaves ...

What about ,the CJ Cat 2 pairing with Centaur? Would be great if you could also compare the Centaur with Lamm M1.2 R
Thanks

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What about ,the CJ Cat 2 pairing with Centaur? Would be great if you could also compare the Centaur with Lamm M1.2 R
Thanks

It will not be easy to carry a fair comparison - I am listening to the Constellation Audio's using the custom direct mode between the Centaur and Virgo, and I do not have a Lamm preamplifier laying around. The direct mode makes the combo sound like magic - I tried the conventional XLR and it becomes a very good combo, but not the extraordinary system I am experiencing.

Just have been listening to Wagner Tannhauser Ouverture - the tonality of brass, woodwinds and strings in their sections coupled with grandiosity and bass that goes far beyond the walls of the listening room is apart from anything I experienced in my room. The XLF's completely disappear, keeping their lifelike scale but whispering like mini monitors.
You seat and you stay glued until the recording stops while the Wagner music waves dance and grip effortless.

4music

Apr 15, 2013
It will not be easy to carry a fair comparison - I am listening to the Constellation Audio's using the custom direct mode between the Centaur and Virgo, and I do not have a Lamm preamplifier laying around. The direct mode makes the combo sound like magic - I tried the conventional XLR and it becomes a very good combo, but not the extraordinary system I am experiencing.

Just have been listening to Wagner Tannhauser Ouverture - the tonality of brass, woodwinds and strings in their sections coupled with grandiosity and bass that goes far beyond the walls of the listening room is apart from anything I experienced in my room. The XLF's completely disappear, keeping their lifelike scale but whispering like mini monitors.
You seat and you stay glued until the recording stops while the Wagner music waves dance and grip effortless.

Thank you for the remarks.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am currently hosting the Constellation Audio Centaur II + Virgo III. Really a superb combo, easily the best solid state I ever had in my system. Power with finesse and an excellent tonal equilibrium, really impressive dynamics. Unfortunately my TA Opus cables are not tuned to Constellation Audio and I can not listen to them at their best.

Try to borrow some Argento cables if you can micro :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you for the remarks.

Later I also listened to Schubert Winterreise (Matthias Goerne, Christoph Eschenbach ) https://www.allmusic.com/album/schubert-winterreise-mw0002740477 that I have listened live. The voice was great - clean and nuanced, reminiscent of good tubes, but with life like authority, without any excessive emphasis of vocal effects. The absence of dynamic constrains is notorious, but needs carefully chosen cables - for my preferences some types will excessively enhance exactitude over envelopment.

I will miss the Constellation's when they leave ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Try to borrow some Argento cables if you can micro :)

Thanks, unfortunately it will not be possible - they are not distributed locally and the CA stay will not be long enough.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Why let it leave then ? Sound like keepers , offload some of the other gear .

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Why let it leave then ? Sound like keepers , offload some of the other gear .

Funds for high-end have a limit that has been exceeded ... This is new equipment, other used gear has now little value. In a high-end dreamland I would have got Altair/Hercules! :)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I love the Constellation gear!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Constellation Audio Centaur II + Virgo III left some hours ago. Listening during the last five days was a really a new discovery.

Since long I knew that the XLF's had great bass - but the CA's have shown them to have unbelievable bass. Extremely deep, fast, articulated. It feels like the the extremely solid and rigid floor of my room is moving - but only in the proper moments with a control that makes you feel in a life market listening to the local marching band big drum. Mercedes Sosa "Missa Criola" was an unique experience with the Centaur + Virgo. Playing it now a few minutes ago with an unnamed preamplfier and amplifier made me stop listening and come posting. The bass is now "rounded" and misses the supreme articulation and depth of CA's.

The CA's were almost new and have been burning-in at high power when not playing using the Purist Audio CD enhancer with the speaker replaced by power resistors. It was very interesting following the burn-in, mainly the feeling of ease and filling the space that progressively developed. The recent addition of Transparent Audio XL power cables also helped the system. It was still improving daily, I hope to re-listen after full break-in.

I also re-listened to the Metronome's using the CA's - a very interesting combination, perhaps more lively, more colored but missing the unbelievable bass of the DCS Vivaldi. Fortunately time and good new music will soon dilute the memory of the CA's bass. The CA's are really interesting - they do not sound like tube or solid state.

For a short time I tried the REF40 - good sounding, nice voices, detail and air, but misses the great bass.

BTW, a little bird from the UK whispered that the new Centaur II 500 sounds even better!

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 219

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Great stuff microstrip. Try Synergistic Research which mate very well with Constellation based on the pairings heard at recent shows. Ted used to use Constellation gear with his Magicos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing