Constellation Audio

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Hi all,

I am looking to try Solid State amplification to complement my tube system. I have auditioned a few manufacturer's offering including the Constellation Audio Centaur Stereoblock + Virgo linestage.

1 question - I heard from my friend that Constellation amps have an issue on intermittent spurious noise emanating from the speaker outputs. Anyone have experience or comments regarding this ?

Looking forward to comments.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : while at this might as well seek advise what SS linestage + amplifier is a good match for ProAc Carbon 8. Upstream is Aurender W20+ Vivaldi stack + Antelope Atomic clock

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Joeling,

Nice system! I cannot speak to your first question...hopefully others can. But on your PS, what did you think of the constellation with your setup? What did you like or not like? That might give people some help in the kinds of recommendations to offer for other amps to try.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Hi LL21,

Well, I am not so fussy. I auditioned the Constellation in the dealer's setup but not at home. I thought they were quite nice & not so aggressive & yet more so than a tube amp. Bass was well articulated.

But I worry about reliability & design flaws & hence the question in the 1st post.

I listen to a lot of vocals mainly due to the fact that my old setup was not so good at anything else. Now, I want to expand to try all sorts of music.

Current amplification chain includes ARC ref 40 + ARC ref 250. I like the ref 250 but they have been trying my patience. Reliability is an issue. Broke down twice killing tubes & now, a mechanical hum from the power transformer on the left monoblock. Quite unhappy.

Other alternative that I use is a Cary SLP-05 + Cary 211 FE. This set is not suitable for every kind of music (e.g. rock).

Regards,
Joe Ling

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Joeling,

Given your observations, and having heard the constellation centaur a couple of times in different systems, you may also wish to listen to the Boulder 2100 series. Built like tanks, high quality reliability, last for decades. I have hear the 2060 and really liked it...Gryphon colosseum is my personal reference. I have read the 2100 is sensational and it seems perhaps even a touch more organic? Could be just the thing. Or try a 2060. I also love Gryphon, depending on where you are located and if it's available.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Joe,

I had the Constellation stereo amp + Virgo preamp here for a bit, and I didn't notice any reliability issues. Now that you mention, I do remember it making a "pop" noise, but only when first turning it on.

They do have this "not so aggressive" character you described, with well articulated bass, but not too punchy.

As far as reliability goes, just about anything will be better than ARC, so I'd go for it. The Constellations were great on rock and other generally compressed and otherwise not-so-well-recorded music! For more nuanced fare, like jazz or classical, I preferred the darTZeel pair, as it was more articulated and precise, with greater extension at the extremes as well.

alexandre

fjmcsu

VIP/Donor
Jan 10, 2011
Joe
I would recommend the Constellation gear wholeheartedly. I have had the Virgo II pre-amp & Centaur stereo amps for a year & a half (Virgo II 6 months, prior Virgo I) & the combination has been sensational in my system (Magico Q5); No reliability issues what so ever. Regarding any extraneous noises, there have been none when "live" although the amp when turning on will go through a check before it is completely ready to go and will also do the same when ratcheting down. The Constellation group has been sensational regarding follow up so much so that I ordered & should be receiving the Perseus II shortly!
Francisco

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Dear all,

Thanks for the input. Francisco, thanks for the info.

BTW, I have also listened to Burmester 911 stereoblock in an all Burmester setup - quite nice but sound so different from my usual diet

Gryphon stereoblock - not sure which one but not well setup. My dealer has an Antilon (spell ?) that he is trying to get me to audition in my setup. Might take up the offer.

Regards,
Joe Ling

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
antileon.

great sounding amp and built quite solidly.
100 watts class-a
get's very hot, not good for hot summers unless you run aircon.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I can second the Gryphon Colloseum Monoblocks which I have had for a few months. Very involving sound but powerful at the same time and delicate. It goes well with my Goldmund 22S preamp.

howie

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I can second the Gryphon Colloseum Monoblocks which I have had for a few months. Very involving sound but powerful at the same time and delicate. It goes well with my Goldmund 22S preamp.

howie

Congrats Howie. What's the rest of your system if I may ask, as a fellow Gryphon Colosseum owner? ;)

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Holysmoke !! I can only aim lower. May have an opportunity to audition a set of Constellation Audio Centaur monos. Mr. dealer, if you are reading this, please give me a quote so that I can decide if I want to step up & do an audition...;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice...expect to hear those speakers sometime later this year...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
;)...you mean where Jabba caught Han Solo?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was in that very room last Wednesday. That is the listening room of Stella Inc./TechDAS. I have a short video. I'll try to upload it today.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing