CES and THE Show 2014

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
you have the right amp those kma-400s would be awesome driving a set of SLs. see what you can do, pull some strings and get a review pair :b

There's a guy in my area with a pair of Eagle 7As. They might be interesting on Sound Labs. :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the 7a is a rare bird, I think Iverson was a genius of sorts. I used to own a 2a when electron kinetics was still in business then john went missing Hoffa style, so I off'd it (was the mystery ever solved?). I never heard an Eagle amp driving 'stats I take it its a great marriage.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
the 7a is a rare bird, I think Iverson was a genius of sorts. I used to own a 2a when electron kinetics was still in business then john went missing Hoffa style, so I off'd it (was the mystery ever solved?). I never heard an Eagle amp driving 'stats I take it its a great marriage.
It's speculation that it would be but is based on the fact that Iverson's amps were pretty special. One guy I know who used to work with Iverson and often slept in the shop related a bizarre story once about a piece of electronics, I think an amp, that gave off an eerie glow in the dark -- and we're not talking about tubes. And then there are some speakers Iverson built that would sound just as loud when you covered your ears tightly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They need this much power?

also, (Bruce) I've heard the SLs in the Isomike rooms, but I've never heard them in a well thought out home studio set up. Years ago I heard a pair at Art Tedeshi's in Denver and they were very good on small group jazz.

If I remember well, they were driven by Pass Labs amplifiers and Kimber cables in the Isomike systems. Just remembered a detail of my older A1's - not PX - in my system, they managed to sound louder and more dynamic with an old pair of VTL MB450s than with the monster Krells 750mx. Two recordings that sound fantastic in SoundLabs - the famous Paniagua La Folia and the master piece "GERSHWIN BY GROFÉ Symphonic Jazz" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbp6vixEGMU&list=PLLC7WV8JoWFmXlLLiV5q6S3R-CJQ-92IF&index=1 , you can read about it here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harmoniamundi.com%2F__media%2Fpdf%2FHMU907492.pdf&ei=iJnfUoO7ENGu7Aajt4HgBQ&usg=AFQjCNEfT7mJmB6EM4ZcEweRluV5_tStMw&sig2=-NEQ8EZvIaclDn6kvpkNbg&bvm=bv.59568121,d.ZGU .

I always found that SoundLabs love recordings by Harmonia Mundi - they manage to highlight the spontaneity and natural sound of most of their recordings.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Micro,

One day I would love to have a list of your favorite classical pieces to hunt down for myself. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge. ;)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
If I remember well, they were driven by Pass Labs amplifiers and Kimber cables in the Isomike systems. Just remembered a detail of my older A1's - not PX - in my system, they managed to sound louder and more dynamic with an old pair of VTL MB450s than with the monster Krells 750mx. Two recordings that sound fantastic in SoundLabs - the famous Paniagua La Folia and the master piece "GERSHWIN BY GROFÉ Symphonic Jazz" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbp6vixEGMU&list=PLLC7WV8JoWFmXlLLiV5q6S3R-CJQ-92IF&index=1 , you can read about it here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harmoniamundi.com%2F__media%2Fpdf%2FHMU907492.pdf&ei=iJnfUoO7ENGu7Aajt4HgBQ&usg=AFQjCNEfT7mJmB6EM4ZcEweRluV5_tStMw&sig2=-NEQ8EZvIaclDn6kvpkNbg&bvm=bv.59568121,d.ZGU .

I always found that SoundLabs love recordings by Harmonia Mundi - they manage to highlight the spontaneity and natural sound of most of their recordings.

Those are two wonderful recordings. I demo'ed the Panagua La Folia from ripped SACD this year at CES, and the Gershwin some time ago.

La Spagna.jpg

Gershwin.jpg

Jack, there is a Speakers Corner re-issue of the Panagua La Folia, but I like the SACD better because the low-level details of this album (which I think is all-important) can get obscured by the original and the re-issue on vinyl. The vinyl folks will crucify me for this statement, but I'm format agnostic :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Those are two wonderful recordings. I demo'ed the Panagua La Folia from ripped SACD this year at CES, and the Gershwin some time ago.

View attachment 13613

View attachment 13614

Jack, there is a Speakers Corner re-issue of the Panagua La Folia, but I like the SACD better because the low-level details of this album (which I think is all-important) can get obscured by the original and the re-issue on vinyl. The vinyl folks will crucify me for this statement, but I'm format agnostic :D

The ATR reissue is better than the Speakers Corner. Versus the original, the ATR pressing has its pluses and minuses.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
image.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Two of my favorites Harmonia Mundi - one is bloody spanish music - although much less known than EL Amor Brujo, El Retablo de Maese Pedro is more dramatic. These works with spoken and sung parts accompanied by a small orchestra are a joy to listen.

Although people often refer that Stravinsky once said Vivaldi was the composer who 'wrote the same concerto 500 times, different types of interpretation contribute a lot to help non-experts of Vivaldi music, such as me, to surpass this similitude, and enjoy a few of them without feeling they are all the same, even after listening to the "Four Seasons" ;). These performances of Janet See have been part of my collection since long, to the point that family nicked the music as the "music of the little bird". A little secret: a friend of mine who loves the recording and found it by listening to it in my Quad ESL63 (great demo for an electrostatic) once asked me how I found it. I told him the full truth - just because it was from Harmonia Mundi and had a beautiful nightingale in the cover ...

De Falla: El Amor Brujo (Love the Magician) and El Retablo de Maese Pedro (Master Pedro's Puppet Show), Performed by Ginesa Ortega, Joan Martin, Inaki Fresan, Joan Cabero and the Orquesta de Cambra Teatre Lliure Barcelona directed by Josep Pons.

Antonio Vivaldi - Flute Concertos - Janet See , Flute, Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra, Nicholas McGegan

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 460
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 531

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing