Apple / Strawberry Pie

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I really wanted to make a Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie, but Rhubarb is impossible to find this time of year and I didn't even have any luck trying to source out some frozen ones. So as an alternative I decided to make an Apple/ Strawberry Pie.

4 cups of thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
2 cups of thinly sliced Strawberries.
1 TBSP of Lemon Juice
1/2 cup of Sugar
3 TBS of Flour
Nutmeg and cinnamon are optional although I use a few pinches of each.

Toss the above and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

I don't make my own piecrust as I don't have enough counterspace to work on it properly. Frozen is fine. Let it thaw in the fridge and then let it come to room temp for 15-30 minutes.
Line your pie-plate with the dough and pour in the filling, then cover with the second layer of dough. (Use a little water to brush in between for good adherence).

Brush the top with a lightly beaten egg yolk, sprinkle with sugar and cut a few vent holes.
Place in a preheated oven on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes
Reduce to 350°F and continue baking for 40 minutes.

It should come out like this:
IMG_0659.JPG

Depending on how sweet or tart you prefer this type of pie, just adjust the sugar level by an 1/8th of a cup or so.

Enjoy!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It does look good doesn't it? Will have a slice after my dinner! :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
YUMM!

That pie looks delicious.

Is your photo showing the pie in a 9" or 10" pan?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
YUMM!

That pie looks delicious.

Is your photo showing the pie in a 9" or 10" pan?

It's a 9" Pyrex Pie Plate.

The first slice went down very nicely. It had a nice balance of sweetness and tartness with a hint of nutmeg & cinnamon. I also liked the ratio of Apples to Strawberries. Sadly I didn't have any Ice Cream at hand, but I'll rectify that later today.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here's a slice after I cut into it after about 30 minutes of cool down time.

IMG_0661.JPG

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I'm not a rhubarb fan so strawberry / apple sounds good to me. The pie looks great!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It's a 9" Pyrex Pie Plate.

The first slice went down very nicely. It had a nice balance of sweetness and tartness with a hint of nutmeg & cinnamon. I also liked the ratio of Apples to Strawberries. Sadly I didn't have any Ice Cream at hand, but I'll rectify that later today.

That's a mighty big slice you took!

Make sure you use a good dense ice cream like Haagen Dazs.

Stay away from the highly aerated ones like Breyers where the texture is lousy. A good pie requires good creamy ice cream.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's a mighty big slice you took!

Make sure you use a good dense ice cream like Haagen Dazs.

Stay away from the highly aerated ones like Breyers where the texture is lousy. A good pie requires good ice cream.

Ben And Jerry's for me

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I picked some up from a local creamery & chocolatier called "Laura Secord". You may remember them Steve!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing