Apodizing filters - a fad that has passed or standard these days? "Revolutionary"?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Just a few years ago the Analytic Sound and Stereophile were both praising cd players with apodizing filters. Have these filters been pretty much incorporated in all digital made today? Or was this just a fad, kind of hot pink clothes?

In retrospect, are these truly "revolutionary"?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It has been my experience that apodizing filters only work/sound good when you upsample... .not downsample.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
Playback Design MPS-5 added apodizing filter to its player via firmware upgrade about a year ago. I am not sure if they do anything else with that last upgrade beside the filter but it certainly improves the performance of an already excellent unit by quite a bit.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just a few years ago the Analytic Sound and Stereophile were both praising cd players with apodizing filters. Have these filters been pretty much incorporated in all digital made today? Or was this just a fad, kind of hot pink clothes?

In retrospect, are these truly "revolutionary"?

I believe it was a fad. That is not to say it did not have technical merits.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Doesn't Meridian still use an apodizing filter with its 808.i v3 CD player and Signature Player?

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Obviously it makes a change to the sound, but the end result depends on DAC. I think my current DAC (Metronome C6) has a linear filter and it sounds much better than SlimDevices Transporter I had before.
As Bruce said, the apodizing filter may/has benefits on redbook, for high-rez I used linear

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
I think there are two main issues which are affecting the success of so-called 'apodizing' reconstruction filters. One issue has been the confusion over what, exactly, defines an apodizing filter. As I recall, Peter Craven, who proposed this filter in an AES paper, defined apodizing as a minimum-phase reconstruction filter that featured a stop-band frequency that not only fully rejects the ultrasonic alias image band (of which, the ubiquitous half-band reconstruction filters do not fully), but also rejects the upper band edge of the original ADC used to for recording. To my thinking, that latter part was the innovative part of what Craven proposed, not so much the use of minimum-phase filters, which, while pretty much ignored for digital audio up to then, were also quite well known to DSP in general. In addition, I find the the name apodizing less than an accurate description. The name itself (which loosely means, 'to remove a foot') actually speaks to what's called filter 'windowing'. Such windowing is about lessening the abrupt transition effects of having a finite length filter kernel, when sampling theory calls for an infinitely long filter kernel.

The other main issue affecting the wide adoption of apodizing, IMHO, is that it's founded on an unproven assumption. Which is that linear phase digital filter 'pre-ringing' is responsible for the negative subjective response many of we audiophiles have to 'the sound' of digital audio. Therefore, the use of a minimum-phase reconstruction filter would eliminate such pre-ringing at the playback end of the chain (by greatly increasing the post-ringing, it should be pointed out). However, the pre-ringing stemming from the ADC linear-phase brickwall anti-alias filter is already encoded on the CD. Can anything be done about it? Craven realized that this too could be removed if the playback filter stop-band was lowered enough to fully reject the Nyquist frequency, perhaps just a little bit below even that. Down to around 21.5KHz, or so.

The minimum-phase filters provided within DAC chips appear to meet the first half of what Craven proposed, which is the elimination of pre-ringing by the reconstruction filter, but not the other half, which is the elimination of pre-ringing encoded within the music by the ADC's linear-phase anti-alias via inclusion of the Nyquist frequency within the filter's stop-band. In either case, this elimination strategy is based on the assumption that pre-ringing is bad for the sound, which, while it may seem to make some intuitive sense, I don't believe has yet been proven correct.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Playback Design MPS-5 added apodizing filter to its player via firmware upgrade about a year ago. I am not sure if they do anything else with that last upgrade beside the filter but it certainly improves the performance of an already excellent unit by quite a bit.

Which is what the Playback is doing... it upsamples everything to 6.1Mhz. As I said above, this has been my experience using the apodozing filter.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing