Best Tequila for Margarita Cocktail?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There is a place here with over 100 tequilas (pretty much all they serve). they picked out
Gran Centernario Anejo Tequila as one of their favs. Light, almost floral...very tasty and real tequila

also have liked:
Ocho Tequila,
Siete Leguas Tequila

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Gran Centenario is good -- unusually, it's a blend. Try Fortaleza, called Dos Abuelos in Mexico.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dos Abuelos...bueno. Gracias!

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Sorry, Los Abuelos. But Fortaleza here.

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
I would like to a few recommendations: For the Orange liqueur, I would highly recommend the following, Caffo Solara for a intoxicating blend or orange flavors, Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur and for a highly refined twist Bauchant Orange Liqueur. Grand Marnier and Cointreau are predicable outcomes which make for a boring drink. I really like Patton Citronage.

For Margarita ready made mixes, Ones using key lemons and lines will prove rewarding. Also, the mix must not contain any corn syrup. I have found Williams-Sonoma, Pineapple, Mango mixes are very good. I have on order the "Margarita Texas mix", this is using key limes, and has won many awards.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I like to keep my margaritas simple. I use fresh lime squeezed lime juice, Silver Patron, and triple sec. And, just a tiny pinch of sugar. My mix ration is 4 oz of lime juice, 4 oz of triple sec, and 6 oz of Silver Patron with the tiny pinch of sugar. I have tried making margaritas with Cointreau in place of the triple sec and I don't like it. I call those "dirty" margaritas because of the funky color the Cointreau adds. If you use my mix and pour it into a shaker, pour over a salted rim margarita glass with ice, it's a great tasting margarita that will give you a serious buzz. When I make margaritas, I usally make a batch of guacomole dip from scratch and serve with chips.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've tried the Patron Citronage. Very good stuff. I've had Fortaleza for sipping -- really tasty -- like to try that in a Margarita. I am going to try the Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur. Sounds really interesting.

I'm open to other orange liqueurs for variety, but I disagree with the idea that Grand Marnier makes a boring Margarita.

For my money, fresh squeezed limes, organic agave nectar, Grand Marnier and tasty Reposado, in the right proportions, makes a damn fine Margarita!

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I like Citronage and Solerno -- Mandarine Napoleon is also very good:

http://www.suite101.com/content/grand-marnier-cointreau-and-mandarine-napoleon-a202235

I tend to go light w/the orange in my margaritas anyway, preferring a stronger hit of lime/tequila.

Haven't tried Fortaleza/Los Abuelos in a margarita figuring the complex, rustic quality would be lost, so not worth the $$$. As noted, finding the Espolons about perfect for mixing .

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tried the Solerno tonight -- really enjoyable. Excellent recommendation -- thanks!

My mix was:

4oz Tequila (Casa Noble Reposado)

2oz Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur

.5oz Agave Nectar

1.5 good sized limes, squeezed and then muddled to get some bitter out of the lime peel.

I shake this up with ice and then pour through a strainer into two freezer chilled 10oz glasses filled with ice.

I put a half squeezed lime in each glass as garnish and further flavoring.

Not quite as complex as a margarita with Grand Marnier, but there is a very nice trade-off in that the Solerno results in a refreshing "cleanliness" which is also very appealing.

I think this also results in a nice crisp drink with a little more flavor intensity -- in the best way -- nice compliment to the other ingredients.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've located a bottle of Bauchant for my next test, but I'm having a very hard time finding a source for the Caffaro Solara.

Where did you find it?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Best Tequila for Margarita Cocktail?

any tequilia thats 100% agave would be fine, imo "platas" or reposados make better mixer than anejos - thats if i were to 'waste' a good bottle of Porfidio Barrique on a margarita ;) imo, anejos are best enjoyed sipped straight from a cognac sniffer where aged oak, maple, tobacco, dried fruit and other notes can be enojoyed as its maker intended.

new tequilias seem to be invented on a daily basis even carlos santana, sammy hagar et al have their own brands. trust me on this, there arent the number of distillaries in all of mexico to support each individual brand. check the "NOM" number printed on the bottle, its given by the Mexican gov to each unique distillary, it protects the appelation and is certifed by the TRC. A $100 bottle under one brand is sometimes the exact same juice you get for $40 from someone else.

Rob

Last edited:

brodo420

Dec 14, 2011
I just wanted to add my ZIPrita .. this is fast and involves only 2 ingredients.. I have not tried it with many quilas:

(single serving, I do not really measure)
3-4oz Tres Agave (res or anejo)
1.5-2oz Tres Agave nectar

I drink mine up with salted rim (shaker with lots of ice)

I have had others that are sweeter and here and there tastier, and I thank the OP and others for their suggestions - I will try and post back!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing