Contributors' systems - why so little info?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi guys and gals. I'm posting more and more on WBF, and see the replies of many regulars. But on going to people's profiles, there are so few of you who list your system components breakdown, or any limited personal info. The system does allow it when setting up the profile page.
I realise many people are v.private, but on a forum that embraces swapping of info, system configurations would be so useful. I don't think knowing people's system details would compromise privacy too much.
Am I asking too much?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Steve, freedom of speech is sacrosanct. I wonder if a few members feel their choices might be criticised, or they be accused of bias if commenting on less than positively on non system components. That would be a shame, and surely untrue. Despite the growing number of heated posts that attract even hotter replies.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi guys and gals. I'm posting more and more on WBF, and see the replies of many regulars. But on going to people's profiles, there are so few of you who list your system components breakdown, or any limited personal info. The system does allow it when setting up the profile page.
I realise many people are v.private, but on a forum that embraces swapping of info, system configurations would be so useful. I don't think knowing people's system details would compromise privacy too much.
Am I asking too much?

I agree with you 100% and wonder why everyone doesn't post the details of their system. I'm sure some people feel intimidated because some people on this forum have high six-figure systems. I try and post everything about my system and room and if people want to judge me, I can take it. I have shared pictures and videos of my system so everyone knows where I'm coming from.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There really shouldn't be any judging. I mean unless you've sat in front of a system, you have no basis to be accurately critical. We should applaud those with carefully put together systems, whatever the price. I do have issues with individual components' prices, and the inexorable upward spiral of prices (first uber spkrs, now uber hi rez dacs), but I would never diss someone's choices in going in a particular direction.
Maybe more people will go on to be transparent about their rigs in future?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Mine is there for all to see...

The good people here have not judged me even once.

It's an honest system built with care and I enjoy it.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
906193_695800167119015_1608041817_o.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sure Steve, freedom of speech is sacrosanct. I wonder if a few members feel their choices might be criticised, or they be accused of bias if commenting on less than positively on non system components. That would be a shame, and surely untrue. Despite the growing number of heated posts that attract even hotter replies.

I know Steve and I have had this conversation before too! :) I agree with you that it gives one a POV on people's preferences.

OTOH, some might be worried that criminals could access your info here and home information and rob you in these insane times. :(

I'm going to update my pics after I set up the VPI table this weekend.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Looks like I've started something...
Now, if I can just get people to reconsider the headlong rush away from cdp's to streaming/dacs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Am I asking too much?

I fully agree with you and have said it often - unless we know the system a member usually uses we lack a reference to appreciate his subjective opinions. The best debates of Audiogon were around great systems in the virtual systems section.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It's true for me it is about fitting in. It's tough to put up pics of a system that is maybe 30 k and look at pics of systems that are 500 k. It just is. And then I really never take pics of what I own. I had a Lamborghini gallardo Spider convertible
I have one dumb picture of my son in it . Some of us just do not take pics.

Al

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I fully agree with you and have said it often - unless we know the system a member usually uses we lack a reference to appreciate his subjective opinions. The best debates of Audiogon were around great systems in the virtual systems section.

Thats why some of us are now including our systems in our signature. I wish more would do it. Opinions without reference to what you are listening to don't serve much of a purpose to me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thats why some of us are now including our systems in our signature. I wish more would do it. Opinions without reference to what you are listening to don't serve much of a purpose to me.

Frank,
You are right, but I fear that some of our signatures would be too long, and changing too often ... ;) Anyway I will try to summarize soon.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok ok I ll do something. But I have three systems , my two homes and my office in NYC. So do I list it all?

Al

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Image 8.jpg

I be g'darn proud of this system. Under 11K total

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What I think would be nice is if location was mandatory. :)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok I get it. It's just me then. I have some nice stuff. I own three pairs of infinity ref systems . Two IRS 1B. And one pair of IRS V. I'll do something.
It's just that some people here have two speakers worth more than almost all my stuff. Lol.
Al

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You talking to me? No I'm not and that's the point. WBF is global but the language is English. Knowing where the other guys are from is both cool to see and is helpful. For example, there are many members here for whom english is a second, third or even fourth language. See a non english location and automatically you give some leeway in terms of syntax and go more for context.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing