Stillpoint's on Wilson Alexandria X-2.2

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
After having the X-2's up on rollers for a week and a half tweaking their position and my seating position, the Ultra 5's arrived today. I was not prepared for the dramatic improvement top to bottom in the frequency range. There is less strain on hard leading edge transients, the sound stage grew dramatically with further improvement in image focus. The bass seems To get even deeper and more focused. I am using them on carpet too and left a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the speaker and the ultra 5. Looks like I will be listening into the wee hours of the morning. Stillpoint's amaze again. Highly recommended under speakers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think you mean Stillpoints UNDER Wilson Alexandria X-2.2 :p

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Did you compare them to the standard spikes that come with the X2's? I was considering the Stillpoints or new Nordost but was waiting to hear what others have experienced.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Did you compare them to the standard spikes that come with the X2's? I was considering the Stillpoints or new Nordost but was waiting to hear what others have experienced.

I lived with them on spikes up until last week when I put them up on casters. There is no comparison. It is a must for your speakers or any one's for that matter. The Nordost sort foot competes will the smaller Ultra SS, not the Ultra 5's, imo. My listening room is on the basement level carpet over concrete. If your on a suspended floor, the improvement will be even greater.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I lived with them on spikes up until last week when I put them up on casters. There is no comparison. It is a must for your speakers or any one's for that matter. The Nordost sort foot competes will the smaller Ultra SS, not the Ultra 5's, imo. My listening room is on the basement level carpet over concrete. If your on a suspended floor, the improvement will be even greater.

Do you have a photo of the X2's on the Ultra 5's? How did you attach them?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Do you have a photo of the X2's on the Ultra 5's? How did you attach them?

I will take an iPhone pic later tonight. The diodes stillpoint's provides for x-2 owners is the same size as the Wilson spike diode which is reduced to a smaller diameter that screws into the ultra 5.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I will take an iPhone pic later tonight. The diodes stillpoint's provides for x-2 owners is the same size as the Wilson spike diode which is reduced to a smaller diameter that screws into the ultra 5.

But unless the diode Stillpoints provides fits to the sane depth as the Wilsons you will need to remeasure your listening height to be certain your upper modules don't need readjusting.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Some things can't be explained. I was simply amazed, or maybe not as every Stillpoint implementation that I have inserted in a system has made a remarkable improvement.
Christian's speakers gained another octave of bass, and controlled bass at that. The bass was through the floor. Backup singers on Sarah McLachlan's Solace that before were in front of me, were now to the side and behind my head-very spooky. The gain in dimensionality was astounding.

Steve Williams

Some things can't be explained. I was simply amazed, or maybe not as every Stillpoint implementation that I have inserted in a system has made a remarkable improvement.
Christian's speakers gained another octave of bass, and controlled bass at that. The bass was through the floor. Backup singers on Sarah McLachlan's Solace that before were in front of me, were now to the side and behind my head-very spooky. The gain in dimensionality was astounding.

Bill

I understand and agree that's what I expect to hear. My point is that if the soundstage changed it could easily be explained if the height if the speakers were raised but a fraction as this will require remeasuring upper modules.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011

Stillpoints on Sasha's with a suspended floor were horrible for me. Muddy, one note bass, loss of focus
Can't see how you can make a statement like this without any real experience...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
:(
But unless the diode Stillpoints provides fits to the sane depth as the Wilsons you will need to remeasure your listening height to be certain your upper modules don't need readjusting.

Steve,

There is a range of distance for each propogation setting. I verified the spike size on the mid and treble units for tilt and fore/aft position based on my ear height. My dealer had me setup close to the limit with a pretty heavy toe in. Speakers are 8.5 feet and my ears 38" off the ground. Based on the toe, I was only 9' from the speakers. Now I am 10.5' away with the speakers toed out farther to my satisfaction. The improvement going from the rollers in the new positioning to the Ultra 5's was huge. I resisted as long as I could. Resistance is futile. Once you hear what you were missing, you will ask yourself, like I did, why did I wait so long. ;)

Steve Williams

:(

Steve,

There is a range of distance for each propogation setting. I verified the spike size on the mid and treble units for tilt and fore/aft position based on my ear height. My dealer had me setup close to the limit with a pretty heavy toe in. Speakers are 8.5 feet and my ears 38" off the ground. Based on the toe, I was only 9' from the speakers. Now I am 10.5' away with the speakers toed out farther to my satisfaction. The improvement going from the rollers in the new positioning to the Ultra 5's was huge. I resisted as long as I could. Resistance is futile. Once you hear what you were missing, you will ask yourself, like I did, why did I wait so long. ;)

But wouldn't you agree that the toe out accounted for soundstage change

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing