Anti Dog chew remedies

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
So all,

This is kinda funny.

I got a new 1.5 year old puppy from one of our local shelters.

So far, my new best friend has destroyed 3 pairs of socks, a couple pairs of undies, a remote for my space heater (fortunately she didn't eat the plastic or batteries), and an exposed irrigation drip line in my back yard.

So here's the issue.

I have my speaker cables coming up through the floor and there's about a 12" section exposed from the floor to the speaker lugs. Could be attractive to the puppy.

What can I put on the cables to discourage the dog from munching? :eek:

Don't want to wrap in aluminum foil or whatever. Thinking about some kind of spray or scent to discourage activity. And yes, I have bought some rawhide chewies to keep her occupied but she's alone at home during the day when I'm at work.

Thank you all for any experience you may have had with this issue.

GG

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Pet stores sell chew repellant remedies, but I have never tried any of them.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Rap it in gauze and put a strong pungent repellent like garlic oil. Or anything else that smells strong but not meaty or sweet.

Al

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Whatever you do, don't put cat sh*t anywhere near your speaker cables because cat sh*t is like filet Mignon to a dog.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, thedudeabides. Hmmmm, I'd be more worried about the speakers and speaker grills. Whenever we have had a new addition to the family, the wife always went overboard with chew toys and played with the dog with said chew toys often. She was told that dogs chew on things out of nervousness from the owner(s) being gone all day and boredom. While I didn't like the fact that I had 20 or more chew toys in our living room for a couple of months, I did like the fact that nothing was ever chewed on. Ever, with any dog we have had.

As far as the SC's go? About the only thing I can think of to completely protect the speaker cables would be a concrete post pier as seen below. Flip it upside down and place the SC's within the channels. Perhaps covering it with a towel or cloth would make it a little more eye appealing. FWIW.

Tom

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Try Bitter Apple it's a spray that might help you out. You should call the shelter I am sure they would help you. Not like dogs chewing things up is unheard of

Rob

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I know you said you don't want to cover with aluminum foil, but a metal cover will give you shielding, which is a plus.

Get yourself some BX cable, take out the wire and insert the speaker cable through it.

Your new best friend won't chew through that.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Try Bitter Apple it's a spray that might help you out.

Rob

A light coating of this will keep your dog out of the room if he ever tastes this. 357,000 Scoville units.

There are more potent ones, but this will be much more than sufficient.

Attachments

• 357-mad-dog-hot-sauce-357000-scoville-units__86159.1275089498.220.220.jpg
    357-mad-dog-hot-sauce-357000-scoville-units__86159.1275089498.220.220.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 111

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
That would definitely work to keep the dog from chewing the cables but I would hate to have the OP handle his speaker cables and unknowingly wipe his eyes.

Tom

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
The following will work if you are able to do it.
First an example. You have NO plants. You have a dog & want plants. Buy one plant. Go to work or somewhere for hours. When you return if the plant is trashed; take the plant & lay the remains across the molars & out the sides of the snout. Firmly duct tape the snout shut. Go out to dinner. When you return the duct tape will be off & plants will no longer be harmed.
On to your speaker cables: replace them temporarily with some lamp cord or Monster cable [equivalent]. Let the dog destroy them & follow the above instructions. Make sure you have a very good dinner.
Please do not feel guilty; you must not think like a human in these scenarios.
My dogs of the past LOVED me and had great times.

This would work on children, but you would be unfairly arrested.

zz.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
LOL

Bitter Apple won't send your kid of you to the hospital if you get any on you. The hot sause probably would work. We are not trying to kill him ever try some of that stuff! Yahoo!

Rob

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi,

My sincere appreciation for all of your suggestions.

Some very good ideas indeed.

The super charged pepper sauce sounds pretty bomb proof but I do wonder about cable jacket discolorations and smell after applied.

GG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing