13 signs that it's time to leave a trade show

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Gary,

Have you seen this:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/what-make-ces-2014-and-beyond

"What is certain is that while the rooms of CES's The Venetian venue were crammed with equipment, its rooms and halls were less filled with distributors and retailers. The lower-priced alternative T.H.E. Show at the Flamingo appeared to fare even worse."

From my Day 3 Blog intro:

"Can you say "slow show" three times quickly? Attendance at this year's CES and The Show by manufacturers and consumers, etc. alike was down to levels I've never seen in all my years of attending the Winter Show. For example, just two years ago, high-end aka Specialty Audio occupied four flours of the Venetian Hotel and two floors of upstairs suites. This year? Basically 1 2/3rds floors of the Venetian plus two floors of suites. An identical downturn was observed at The Show that went from two upstairs and one downstairs floor just last year to just one upstairs and one downstairs floor. The reasons? It's not totally clear but some feel that it's economics. There's no argument that exhibiting at CES is a an extremely expensive proposition. One can also couple cost concerns with the burgeoning number of shows not only in the US—or even North America—but all around the world. And the reason that these shows are cropping up around the world is that is where the high-end equipment market is strongest. Russia. China. Asia. The Middle East. Even places that one would not think of such as Vietnam. Others claim that the Munich Show is and has been slowly chipping away for quite some time at the Winter CES Show's hegemony (many distributors prefer to meet their US suppliers now at the Munich Show for multiple reasons). Yet others feel the downturn in attendance is directly attributable to the show having been moved to four weekdays instead of two weekdays and and the weekend. And the bad weather certainly also proved a barrier for many to attend. Several manufacturers arrived late because of missed/cancelled flights and even pieces of equipment suffered the same fate. Whatever the reason, it will be interesting to see if CES notes this downturn—or even cares—since Specialty Audio is a minuscule part of the show."

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
IMO I just don't feel that audio is best shown at CES. There are better shows for audio only. That's why I didn't attend this year

I haven't been since the Alexis Park, Steve- and I'm a 5 hr drive away.

I will be going to RMAF, finally, this year to have fun and see folks moreso than the rooms.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Like most businesses, audio companies go to CES to build market presence; established companies attend in order to maintain market presence. You have to be seen to be taken seriously and that costs money. Nor is this type of cred built by advertising in a magazine. Apples and oranges.

For instance back in the good old days, Stereophile holding their own show was seen as maintaining market presence though rarely if ever did the show make money.

The Stereophile shows also had a burgeoning home theater buzz---the video shown was revolutionary for it's time (Vidikron CRTs with Faroudja, anyone?). That market has changed a lot today.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing