Elipsa Red's driven with McIntosh MA275 stereo amp

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Just had a listen to this little beauty drive the Elipsa's to glorious levels last weekend.

They also had the big MC601 monoblocks (600w) but this was no where near the musicality of the 75w MA275 little gem...
The sound stage, depth and transient response from this partnership was second to none. The preamp used was the C220 and SACD player was the MCD1100.
I previously did own a pair of Amati's, but it never sounded as amazing as the Elipsa's.

I currently have all Conrad Johnson amplification with Quad ESL reference speakers 2905's. Sounds fantastic, but after listening to the above, now I must have a second system as the sound was very different and captivating. I was in the process of going for the big stereo version MC452 (400w) power amp from McIntosh to drive my Quads, but now that I really liked the tube sound of the MA275, plus tubes is what prefer anyway, I might as well go for it.

I intend to bi-amp the Elipsa's with the MA275 for mids and highs, and the MC452 for bass. Any suggestions here?
Or is this a waste of money and space? Should I just go for two MA275's in mono mode instead?

Anyone on this forum have the Elipsa's? and what are you driving them with? Would be very interesting to learn about your systems.

An out-standing combination indeed, a must listen to and must have system!
Cheers from Melbourne;
RJ

It's currently 44C degrees out here, dam hot!... hence the shades.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Big Dog, I have heard the Elipsa's on several occasions. They do come more alive with tube amps vs. ss amps. Depending on room size, you may need to consider bi-amping. OTOH, some of the best sound I have heard from the Elipsa's was when they were paired with BAT 100 watt mono amps. Therefore two MC275's would be worth considering. BTW, I am no huge fan of McIntosh...much prefer ARC or BAT amps. They would be my preference with Elipsa's. The ARC Ref 150 or Ref 250 would be my first choice.

Last edited:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Big Dog, I have heard the Elipsa's on several occasions. They do come more alive with tube amps vs. ss amps. Depending on room size, you may need to consider bi-amping. OTOH, some of the best sound I have heard from the Elipsa's was when they were paired with BAT 100 watt mono amps. Therefore two MA275's would be worth considering. BTW, I am no huge fan of McIntosh...much prefer ARC or BAT amps. They would be my preference with Elipsa's. The ARC Ref 150 or Ref 250 would be my first choice.

Yes mate, certainly agree regarding the ARC amps. But over here in Australia they are dam expensive! It would cost nearly three times the price you pay in US. I once had a ARC cd player, reference series. Glorious sounds, it was a used unit, and shat itself later after about 6 months. Something to do with the power supply and if I was to import the required parts, the cost was close to a brand new cd player, dam that!

I have heard the Ref 150 driving a pair of Magico's and Ref 250's driving Wilson X2's in Singapore. The sound was awesome! And so was the price! Could have bought a mini country cottage somewhere in the Alps and still had enough money for a lovely Scandinavian blonde on the side...

The ARC REF 150 is an outstanding amplifier, one that I wanted to have and was going to purchase last December from a Singapore dealer for used. But the only problem I have with it is the faceplate; it's just blank! There really is nothing to look at... compared to McIntosh amps, oh those blue meters, nothing really compares to them, and they do sound fantastic when properly set up.

The REF 250's are slightly out of my league, but if there was a pair for say around 20 grand I would grab it. In Australia they would cost nearly 40 grand, or upwards for a pair of ARC monoblocks for that matter. For that kind of money on amplification you're going up the ante, which would make you want to spend more on other components and the vicious cycle starts again...

Thanks for the advice though. I don't think we have BAT over here. Someone I know has BAT with Avant Garde Trio omega series. He imported all his gear from Thailand and S'pore. Was easy for him since he runs a shipping business.
Cheers and have a good one,
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
It was just confirmed by the store that the Elipsa red's are a limited edition. Hence, by the time I'm ready to go for a pair, they maybe gone. Well that's alright I guess then the Stradivari would be the next best choice, and of course a whole new ball game...

Just love the gorgeous finish no the red's, that is also available on the Stradivari.
Well I'm not ready as yet, first have to get hold of the MC275 and go from there.

Thanks for the advice guys, it was very informative.
Cheers, RJ

wes

Jan 24, 2013
www.blu-ray.com
It was just confirmed by the store that the Elipsa red's are a limited edition. Hence, by the time I'm ready to go for a pair, they maybe gone. Well that's alright I guess then the Stradivari would be the next best choice, and of course a whole new ball game...

Just love the gorgeous finish no the red's, that is also available on the Stradivari.
Well I'm not ready as yet, first have to get hold of the MC275 and go from there.

Thanks for the advice guys, it was very informative.
Cheers, RJ

I own the Sonus Faber Elipsa SE I used to have them hooked up to Classe CP-800 and CA-2100 the sound was nice but a bit clinical. I then borrowed a Prima Luna integrated tube amp and oh my god! They came alive the sound was so much richer the music became like real instrument where playing in my room. My kids play violin, piano and clarinet so that is my reference.

I sold the CP-800 and moved the CA-2100.

I am awaiting my DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier and can't wait to plug it in :)

I now just need to find a DAC

Now I need t

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Hey Dog. Just saw this thread. Not sure how I missed it. I am currently driving my Elipsas with the ARC Ref75 SE. It is easily the best sound I have had in my listening room to date. Just thought you might want to know that 75 watts of tube power seems to drive the Elipsas with ease. On a side note, I have not heard the Mac tube amp, so I cannot comment, but I have had their SS amps in my system and found they are not for me. I used to drive the SF's with 500 watt solid state mono blocks. The ARC is very large step forward in the quest for audio excellence. I won't be going back to solid state power any time soon, if ever.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Newmill,

That's a fairly late response... well, better late than never. That's what I always tell the wifey whenever we are late for an appointment... but she doesn't seem to get it.

That was going back quite a few years ago, since I was having issues with my Quads. I then happened to drive through the Mac dealer's place at the time, and that's when I came across the gorgeous Elipsa's. I must say, that is one beautiful cabinet design I have ever seen, apart from the Strads of course, the Elipsa's seemed to be just the right size for our living room at the time. When I did listen to them with a couple amps, such as my own CJ MV60SE, plus the MC275, I liked both of them! Then with the ARC Ref75 at another dealer's place (where I purchased my Rega analog rig) the Elipsa's sounded very different. With the Ref75 it was far more authoritative, better control and solid thump in the bass, tighter, faster and an overall effortless sort of drive to it. But I found the MC275's KT88's to be more musical in the midrange compared to the KT120's. On the flip side, the KT88's seemed to have a softer bass to it, similar to the kind of bass found on those older Quad monoblocks- QuadII's and the Quad 80 mono's. Just different flavours... , hence didn't purchase anything, ended up fixing the Quads but broke down several times after that over a period of two years to get them going again! An absolute disaster they were.

Fast fwd from around 2014 - 2017, we are now building our new home, and I don't have the CJ pre & power amps any more. Just a simple CJ CAV45, driving a pair of Martin Logan Ethos. Rated at around 50w of EL34 tube power, the musicality factor and magical midrange is the most pristine I have ever owned to date! I have heard the Kondo Overture integrated amp with EL34's operating in Class A, reproducing just 32w but wow! what a beautiful sound! and of course a beautiful price tag of around 20 grand for an integrated...
There was a demo model in Sydney offered for close to 16 grand, but since I was too busy repairing the Quads, I passed on that.

Thanks to a fellow member on this forum, Mr Kostas, who I happened to have the absolute pleasure of meeting, and listening to his awesome Martin Logan CLX's, I was able to find interest back into the world of stats and ML's for that matter. Beautiful speakers for the value they offer, and they don't require huge amounts of amplification to sound best or reproduce pure music, just marvellous! Couldn't be happier mate.

Do enjoy the Ref75SE, that is a very nice power amp match up with the Elipsa's indeed, I certainly do believe you!
Cheers, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing