McIntosh MA275- what a beauty!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Came across something very interesting last weekend;

Currently in Melbourne we are experiencing a heat wave of plus 40C degrees, infact today it was somewhere around 44...! dam hot.
So last weekend I took the good wife and daughter out for ben & jerry's ice cream, and yes I definitely had to venture into the audiophile speciality store located right opposite just for a browse. Same store where I picked up my MCD301 SACD player. Well right there in the middle of the store low and behold was the gorgeous Sonus Faber Elipsa-Red speakers driven with the mighty MC601 monoblocks, partnered with a C220 preamp. System sounded great indeed. Then I asked the chappy to hook up the MA275 tube amp to the Elipsa's just for kicks to check what this little 75w tube amp could do with Elipsa's.

My jaw dropped several feet onto the floor, and it was extremely clear that this is a huge step from the original 275 stereo McIntosh amp built way back several decades ago... Oh my golly! what a sweet sound! Awesome transients, ample depth, soundstage etc, and more than enough power to drive the Elipsa's to glorious levels. I once had the Amati's but never got this type of soundstage from a tube amp driving SF's before.

I don't know what it is, but that little MA275 kicked some serious butt! Don't get me wrong the 601 monoblocks were great, but not even close to the overall musical presence and liveliness of the MA275. So here we go again, seems like my quest for the best match so far is still going...

Now that I have listened to this system and enjoyed it very much, more so than my present c-j & Quad ESL system, I think I just might go for the Elipsa speakers. Next I plan to obviously get hold of the MA275, and then of course the MC452; perhaps I could run both amps in bi-amp mode, tubes for mids & highs, and MC452 for bass.

Anyone else experienced the great sound of the MA275 as I have, please do let me know what speakers you're using?
Any suggestions on the Elipsa's with the MA275 + MC452 in bi-amp mode?
Or should I just go for two MA275's in mono mode as they can be used that way as well.

Very fine sound indeed, classic McIntosh refinement with Sonus Faber's top end speakers.
What a combination, a must listen to and a must have by any means!

Cheers, RJ:cool:

Reactions: paolo

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
I'm guessing the MC 275, actually they put out closer to 90wpc - terrific amps - much under rated IMHO.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm guessing the MC 275, actually they put out closer to 90wpc - terrific amps - much under rated IMHO.

Big Dog,

I used the 275 with Sonus faber speakers once, first with Cremona Ms, then Amatis, then Amati Futuras. They handled the load just fine. In the end, I had 2 units, operating in mono mode, and I didn't lack for bass, but SF speakers are kinda "bloomy" to begin with, and the tubes could only accentuate that.

If you dig the sound, go for it! Start with one piece, and if necessary, add a second one. Please check the Elipsa, as I don't think it's biwireable (in order to do the configuration you thought of).

alexandre

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi RJ, I can't actually answer your question but I'm wondering which store you were in?

Hi mate,
I was at Klapp Audio Visual on Chapel St, I have been one of their customers for a very long time. Conrad and Tony are great guys, and the store is set up very nicely. This is one place where you can listen to a number of systems, from Dyna-audio, to Martins, even Usher.
Where abouts are you located?
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
McIntosh is the king of sound-staging, and the older models are largely responsible for that reputation.

Was it the MC275 or MA2275?

Yea, sorry mate, it is the MC275, the silly buggers at the store have the incorrect model number on the price display tag. I need to mention this to them...
Have a good one, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Big Dog,

I used the 275 with Sonus faber speakers once, first with Cremona Ms, then Amatis, then Amati Futuras. They handled the load just fine. In the end, I had 2 units, operating in mono mode, and I didn't lack for bass, but SF speakers are kinda "bloomy" to begin with, and the tubes could only accentuate that.

If you dig the sound, go for it! Start with one piece, and if necessary, add a second one. Please check the Elipsa, as I don't think it's biwireable (in order to do the configuration you thought of).

alexandre

Yes, you're right they cannot be bi-amped; I was thinking they could. Well I guess I'll have to settle for the MC275 first and later on just have a MC452 for a change over when necessary. I do not like "bloomy sound" and the MC275 driving the Elipas's weren't bloomy at all. In that case are you suggesting that I go for the MC452 instead?
I really don't mind since I already have a tube amp from Conrad Johnson.
RJ

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, you're right they cannot be bi-amped; I was thinking they could. Well I guess I'll have to settle for the MC275 first and later on just have a MC452 for a change over when necessary. I do not like "bloomy sound" and the MC275 driving the Elipas's weren't bloomy at all. In that case are you suggesting that I go for the MC452 instead?
I really don't mind since I already have a tube amp from Conrad Johnson.
RJ

Well, I haven't heard the new Elipsas, I was just talking about the old SF sound, which was kinda bloomy, and the 275 accentuated that. I don't think the 452 would be any better, if anything, it'd be worse, since it wouldn't have the overall qualities of the 275.
I think you should arrange with the folks at that store to have a go with your preamp and the two amps, along with the Elipsa, and see how it goes!

alexandre

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi mate,
I was at Klapp Audio Visual on Chapel St, I have been one of their customers for a very long time. Conrad and Tony are great guys, and the store is set up very nicely. This is one place where you can listen to a number of systems, from Dyna-audio, to Martins, even Usher.
Where abouts are you located?
Cheers, RJ

Hi RJ,
I'm in Glen Iris... never been to Klapp - probably the only AV store in Melbourne that I haven't visited.
Where are you located?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve heard the MA 275 today on the latest Wilson Sophia series , nice looking amp , and I quite liked the sound , it also had a McIntosh cd player .

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The guy I bought my Nottingham from had an MC275 and ML CLS's. Wicked!:D. He was using an E.A.R. as a pre.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, very much agreed.
The MC275 is truly a classic that stands the test of time in every sense of the word "high end audio". It is affordable, has all the true qualities of a high quality very well built unit, and balanced design. And a true tube classic. I always thought that my c-j mv60se would be hard to beat, but here we are, the MC275 seems to do it.

The c-j mv60se is a very good amplifier for what it can do especially with KT120 tubes replaced as 6550's. Partnered with my Quad 2905's the sound is very smooth, extremely relaxed and non-fatiguing. Sound stage is 3D with excellent depth and imaging, plus special cues, are top notch. Then when you listen to the MC275, this scenario is taken to extraordinary levels, where the sound seems fuller, even more natural with more weight, and very spontaneous. Sort of an effortless presence, and some sort of magic happens that is hard to explain... It seems far more musical.

I was listening to a track from Robben Ford with Larry Carlton (unplugged) fantastic album, track no. 2. On the c-j amplifier the sound is very lively, full and emotional. On the McIntosh it has greater impact; I started tapping my toes and fingers, almost to the point that I was playing an imaginary guitar with the duo, that is the extraordinary level the MC275 takes you. And when this happens, you know that it is a great amplifier match with the speakers. I cannot possibly do without my Quad 2905's since I love electrostats. To me they are far more open and natural. However, the Elipsa's seem to captivate your attention when driven properly with the right amplifier / preamp combination.

One thing I realized with the Quads is that even if you partner them with top notch electronics ranging from 10 to 100 grand, they will still sound like Quad ESL's. This is what makes Quad ESL's true electrostat classics! On the other hand if you partner the Elipsa's with top notch electronics, and give them some real Class A juice, for example Vitus Audio RI100 amplifier, they will sound even better. The level of performance increases several steps further... This is what makes the Elipsa and Stradivari so unique. The ability to further improve seems limitless, and will definitely put out what you give it.

Therefore, I have decided to eventually go for the MC275, as my first choice, and see how it drives my Quads. Then later on I will get hold of a MC452 and use that with the Quads, and change over the MC275 to partner with the Elipsa's. The c-jmv60se I will keep just to remind me from where it all started...
I also think the C220 preamp from McIntosh is another beauty, an excellent match with the MC275.
Anyway, I guess this is audio, where new experiences take you places.

Cheers and have a good one,
RJ

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
McIntosh makes some beautiful gear. I live about 10-15 minutes from McIntosh Labs here in Binghamton NY and we also have Audio Classics which is probably the largest Mac dealer in the world for both current and vintage Mac. Their walls are lined with Mac from every era.I was just at Audio Classics the other day and listened to a few Mac pieces. You certainly cant go wrong with Mac.

Reactions: paolo

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from down unda!
Recently I've been going over some new panel designs from Analysis Audio, they make ribbons very similar to the old classic Apogee's.
I've listened and tried various combo's at home for few weeks plus have borrowed several amps such as the mc452, vtl's, and a few others from c-j like the lp125 monos. Overall I still feel that the c-j + Quad system is a match made in heaven.

Just this last weekend I had the AA'S in for a home demo and although they were great, the overall sound was not quite close to the stats.

The next couple of weeks, I plan to have the classic MC275 at home driving the Quads for a listen. Later on I also plan to try these beauties with the AA omega.
Will see how it all goes

Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from down in Melbourne, the icc cricket world cup is underway, next few months will be the rugby world cup, and that will be a great one indeed!

Just had the mc275 mono's in for a spin with the Quads, great stuff. Compared to the cj gear, nearly the same presentation with a touch more musicality off the cj. Although it was a fantastic match with the Act2, I think what I enjoyed the most from these mc275 amps is the kt88 midrange, that is something very special and addictive coming off stats. The bass and top end is better with the cj. Now that I've spent a considerable amount of time with both the MC275 and mc452, I prefer the Act2 partnered with the mc452. That is one tough combination to beat and it does everything well. Very smooth mids & highs, and outstanding tight bass, well controlled and to the point of being their in 3D to reach out and touch or pat the back of the bass player. ..

The following weekend, I'm going back to the chappy's place who has the mc275 mono's driving the MG20.7 this is one awesome sound coming off ribbons and the mac amps. Later on Sunday the chap who has the mighty mc452 is going to try it out on the big maggies. I think this is going to be one hell of ride!
The mg20.7 will probably just take off with the mc452.
At one point, this same chap had the Pass mono's but got rid of them and went in for the mc275 amps as well as a massive MA8000 integrated for the home theatre and boy does that thing bring the house down. It drives the maggies in theatre mode effortlessly having mg1.6 panels as rear affects, no center channel though. Chappy doesn't believe in center channel, he claims it's unnecessary when you have a top of the line mains, the center naturally fills in. And yes, during his demo I can say it sounded bloody great watching Taken on dvd.
Hope I have a good one with the mc452, looking forward to hearing this system.
Cheers, RJ

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Great update RJ. Thank you so much.

A friend with 20.7's and GAT/ART monos, has an MC452 as a summer amp and loves it. I sometimes think of getting one for for similar reasons. I know it would be great with the GAT.

Keep 'em coming ....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great post RJ...nice one. I have not heard McIntosh in a long time, but have great memories of hearing them with Morel speakers years ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing