Any advice on proper Audirvana Plus setup for DSD

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hello friends,

Doing an audio demonstration soon and since Amarra doesn't yet play DSD files, I downloaded Audirvana Plus which is doing well on PCM files as I type.

We will be using a Benchmark DAC2 HGC and possibly the MSB Analog. Does anyone have experience with this player and can share optimal settings or provide general advice for best quality playback?

Thanks,
Lee

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Lee,
I have used Audirvana with an Auralic Vega, and to for the DAC to switch easily from PCM to DSD, I needed to 1)go under Audirvana preferences, 2)click Audio System, under native DSD Capability, 3)click to choose DSD over PCM Standard 1.0 instead of Automatic Detection. Once I did that, I closed Audirvana, then reopened to reset, and the DAC would automatically switch with no issues. If I left Audirvana on Automatic Detection, ITunes on my MacBook Pro would not lock onto the song, and just jump from one song to another. I'm sure there are other preferences that would give the best results with DSD, but didn't go much further. Damien can be emailed on the Audirvana site, and he is unreal in quickly getting back to you to help. Hope that helps some.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks Scouter! Appreciate it.

Lee,
I have used Audirvana with an Auralic Vega, and to for the DAC to switch easily from PCM to DSD, I needed to 1)go under Audirvana preferences, 2)click Audio System, under native DSD Capability, 3)click to choose DSD over PCM Standard 1.0 instead of Automatic Detection. Once I did that, I closed Audirvana, then reopened to reset, and the DAC would automatically switch with no issues. If I left Audirvana on Automatic Detection, ITunes on my MacBook Pro would not lock onto the song, and just jump from one song to another. I'm sure there are other preferences that would give the best results with DSD, but didn't go much further. Damien can be emailed on the Audirvana site, and he is unreal in quickly getting back to you to help. Hope that helps some.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Your welcome, and the really the best advice I gave you was to email Damien on the Audirvana site. He's really incredible in getting back to you quickly! I've contacted him several times for advice- I'm an "old school" vinyl guy who could never get into computers without Apple. (Still love my vinyl!). Let me know your thoughts if you use the MSM Analog with Audirvana, as I am thinking of purchasing one in the future.
Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing