What to do with a problem Counterpoint SA-12

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I have not touch power amp project for long time since I put my interest to R2R, a problem SA-12 come to me with distortion in one channel after a hour to play, SA-12 's design is tube in gain stage FET for output, problem is come from FET but the owner want to change to a all tubes amp and ask me to do with some parts in his hand ( pair JAN 805 transmitting tube pair WE437A pair Tangle output transformer X2.7S ). the original gain stage with too much gain (6DJ8 in two stage) so I have to take off the amp's broad only keep the case and re use the power supply for the WE437A with inter stage transformer of gain stage and put into the SE-12's case, and the output section is two mono blocks connect by cable to SE-12's case, this design can shorter the speaker cable or can put the mono block as close as possible to the speaker connect with short wire too. output power (45W) is less than the original (80W) but it can drive any speaker with feeling of powerful, the cost of this modification is not cheap, 805's power supply is 800 v and 100 ma and connection cable with silver wire etc. total parts cost will over $ 5K but the sound quality is another level
tony ma

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 721
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 990
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 725
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 415

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Very nice Tony! I'm sure it sounds great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing