A New LP-S In The House.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
At one point, I related cold & steely with much Ortofon reproduction. I probably shouldn't have. Although the Cadenza Black is touch cool in perspective (esp compared to any Benz), my limited demo's have proved them quite musical. The Bronze is said to be far more Benz like in tonality, but I can't confirm. I've yet to hear either in an environment which demo's their ability (or lack of) to remain wide open and dynamic uncompressed during peak passages; how well these carts "grip" the frequency extremes during difficult passages ... ?

One cart manufacturer I've always liked is Transfiguration. Consistently sweet, very transparent to my ears, even the early Spirits impressed. Based on some recent recordings I've been given, the AT33 sounds kinda similar, for much less coin. I also downloaded a FLAC file recently of a top end Dyna (which have always sounded a bit gritty to me) and was shocked how much better it sounded compared to prior demo's.

Funny how things have changed ... I now rely nearly as much on digital facsimiles as actual first hand demo's - to attain knowledge about certain carts performance ...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am glad I am not alone on these Benz questions!

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hey RonR, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that liked the orig. LP. I've read/heard from a few people who have bought LP-S's from friends that weren't happy with it after moving up from the LP. I was in that camp as well until things really started to sound good at about 300 hrs. Now, I really like the LP-S, even like it better than my LP, though it would be a lovely battle to have them both in a" ring match". A little more "aire" and a tad more detail and I'd be really happy with the LP-S. I see a little bit of tube rolling coming my way soon. I've found myself seeking a bit more neutrality lately, a testament to how good it sounds.

I have to admit that the Kiseki Purple Heart has my interest really peaked. If I were looking for a new cart. today that's what I'd get, even w/o hearing it. Everyone that has one raves about it.

On another note, I found a second Phantom armwand and finally mounted my Goldring Elite on it. I'd had it on my Graham 2.2 but not my Phantom. The last time I listened to it it was against my lovable Benz LP. Now it was playing against my LP-S. On the Phantom, the Elite was a far better sounding cartridge. The peaky treble I heard was gone. It was sounding really really good. In fact, it still beat out the LP-S when it came to groove noise on used Lp's. Unfortunately I had already committed to selling to a friend. Boy, do I regret that now! Well, at least I have an armwand ready for that Miyajima mono I've been saving for.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Roydrage/DaveyF

Perhaps the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum is the closet thing to a current production Benz Ruby 2?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Roydrage/DaveyF

Perhaps the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum is the closet thing to a current production Benz Ruby 2?

I owned the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum for 10 years.....a lovely cartridge and one time reference for me. while price is not always an indication of quality and performance with cartridges, the RSP is in another league in transparency and refinement beyond the Benz Ruby series. the RSP digs deeper and reveals more detail and texture.

maybe in presentation, tone and space, it might be not that different but it will take you farther down the road. it's a bit softer and rounder than neutral but the bass is plenty full and strong, if not the most speedy and snappy.

overall a wonderful, very musically enjoyable ride. maybe the 'pristene' Garrard 301 of cartridges......which is a high compliment in my book. not exactly accurate, but who cares when it's so much fun!

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
On another note, I found a second Phantom armwand and finally mounted my Goldring Elite on it. I'd had it on my Graham 2.2 but not my Phantom. The last time I listened to it it was against my lovable Benz LP. Now it was playing against my LP-S. On the Phantom, the Elite was a far better sounding cartridge. The peaky treble I heard was gone. It was sounding really really good. In fact, it still beat out the LP-S when it came to groove noise on used Lp's. Unfortunately I had already committed to selling to a friend. Boy, do I regret that now! Well, at least I have an armwand ready for that Miyajima mono I've been saving for.

Yeah, I had a chance to buy two brand new Excels for a very good price not all that long ago, very regrettable mistake. The Excel was a superbly musical cart (esp nice match with my particular arm).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I owned the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum for 10 years.....a lovely cartridge and one time reference for me. while price is not always an indication of quality and performance with cartridges, the RSP is in another league in transparency and refinement beyond the Benz Ruby series. the RSP digs deeper and reveals more detail and texture.

Not my experience at all. IME, the RP was actually LESS revealing and LESS accurate sounding to the Ruby 2. The RP is a very nice sounding cartridge and IMO an easy cartridge to live with...although I do think it is artificially euphonic. I guess YMMV.

Roydrage

Mar 25, 2014
Roydrage/DaveyF

Ron,

That's funny... I Have One!

Trouble is... At least with my Phono Stage / Pre Amp... It is a little Too Laid back for Rock... Just beautiful for Classical though.

It's even more warm, and soft, but lacks the Punch I desire on some material... Plus I get a lot of tube noise because of the low output.

I know I love the way the Air Tight Supreme sounds, I think it's the best of both worlds, Guess I just have to wait till someone I can trust can

verify it works with the VPI 3D 12" arm on my VPI Direct Drive Table.

Thanks,

Tony

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Tony,

Thank you for your report on the Rosewood!

Yes, many people are big fans of the PC-1 Supreme.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing