Having fun with treatment in a new room

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Just moved house, have my gear setup in a temporary room in the attic as I wait for some work to happen, the idea is to see if structurally the blue wall in the pics can be knocked down to double the space (there are steel trusses inside the wall).

While I wait for a structural engineer to turn up I have been playing around with different configurations of the primacoustic broadband absorbers and vicoustic multifuser diffusors I used in my previous room.

When I first setup my system in here with the 6 diffusor panels and 2 side wall absorbers it sounded like listening inside a shipping container, bright, harsh and everything muddled up. I figured the fact that the room was small and very oddly shaped (i'm sitting underneath a roof) was to account for this?

I added a primacoustic london 12a kit last week (an additional 12 various broadband panels) and am now getting some great results already.

I have very limited knowledge on room treatment and setup in general and have just been playing around with different configurations to see what each element brings to the table.

Any feedback/suggestions as to how I might improve on this setup would be appreciated. My idea has been to place absorption on the first reflection points with the rest sort of scattered around with the diffusion between the speakers predominantly at the front wall.

Note that the home is a pre-fab steel frame construction so walls are very thin - just two half inch layers of drywall and nothing else. This is resulting in a fantastic bass response, I am not getting any modal issues whatsoever as the bass simply penetrates the entire house instead of reflecting and generating standing waves.

Excuse the poor quality of the iPhone pics.

photo_0.jpg

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing