http://www.dbxpro.com/en-US/products/driverack-4800

Any input will be welcome
Thanks
Al

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
My first question would be why do you need to upgrade? Did something break?

There are a number of other pro units you could also consider from e.g. Rane and up, but the dbx 4800 is a very good unit. You could use a Behrringer DSP if you wanted a less-expensive unit, or a miniDSP for really inexpensive.

For more money consider Marchand analog (actually might end up in the same ballpark as the 4800) or Bryston. Over that, Lexicon, DEQX, Trinnov, etc.

HTH - Don

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Thanks . It did not break it's just like every thing else you start to look at what's out there now . The unit I have is a yamaha d2040. It was the jam eat one time. But the digital converters are old and newer stuff is better. To spend 4k and improve the sound is fine by me. I will lokk into the other units as well. What do you think of the DBX. Unit?

Al

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I sent you a lengthy PM.

I wouldn't change what you have for the sake of changing if you like what you have because numerous amplifier channels are going to be involved. You may or may not achieve a real change.

Be careful before you spend.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Take a look at the Xilica XP-4080 and XD-4080.

These units are very very good - 24/96 A/D and D/A, highly flexible DSP capabilities including some unusual but useful ones such as phase shifting filters and linear phase FIR crossovers. Unlike a lot of pro units they behave very nicely when fed unbalanced signals via RCA.

The XD is used by Legacy Audio as the DSP brain in their Whisper XD speakers.

DEQX also have their HDP-4 but it's a 3 way so you would need two, or a HDP-4 and a HDP-Express II/PreMATE to fashion a 4 way system.

Trinnov have their MC line.

Disclaimer: I am a dealer for all these, but an enthusiastic one!

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
Take a look at the Xilica XP-4080 and XD-4080.

These units are very very good - 24/96 A/D and D/A, highly flexible DSP capabilities including some unusual but useful ones such as phase shifting filters and linear phase FIR crossovers. Unlike a lot of pro units they behave very nicely when fed unbalanced signals via RCA.

The XD is used by Legacy Audio as the DSP brain in their Whisper XD speakers.

DEQX also have their HDP-4 but it's a 3 way so you would need two, or a HDP-4 and a HDP-Express II/PreMATE to fashion a 4 way system.

Trinnov have their MC line.

Disclaimer: I am a dealer for all these, but an enthusiastic one!

Nyal

These do look like good units. How, in your experience, do these units perform when placed after a 2-channel pre-amp? Is there a noticeable loss of resolution at low volumes? And do these allow one to load externally generated filter files (from something like Acourate or Audiolense) or is it all done within the unit itself?

Zydeco

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
For me I do not have a pre amp. I have a MSB stack and it has a passive pre amp analog inputs. Two sets one balanced and one SE. . I also looked at the accuphase DF55. Used of course. This decision will take some time to figure out and I will look for help me mellor.

Al

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Active crossovers work just fine between the preamp and power amps.

As long as the input and input impedances are compatible it will be great.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The one i have sounds fine . But the dacs inside are just 48k so anything new will be 96k. The one i have is yamaha d2040

I have a MSB platinum PLUS stack with a galaxy clock and a UMT PLUS diamond psu and a dual transport psu.
What should be the acceptable inputt and output imp to be a match ?

Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing