Basis turntables

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just a couple questions to help me understand what's happening.

Is this consistent with every record you play or intermittent?

Does it seem to change based on weather and humidity or is it always there?

Is the bearing ground lead attached to the bottom of the bearing and grounded?

Are you using the Basis reflex clamp to help keep the record coupled to the platter?

Dre

It is pretty constant from record to record. It is definitely worse when it is cold and the dry heat is on. Yes, the motor and arm grounds are attached to my phono pre. I am using the reflect clamp.

Thanks.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
It is pretty constant from record to record. It is definitely worse when it is cold and the dry heat is on. Yes, the motor and arm grounds are attached to my phono pre. I am using the reflect clamp.

Thanks.

Three more questions and a test to try...

Are you using any aftermarket turntable mats on the unit?

What cleaning fluids, cleaning procedure, and cleaner type (vacuum, etc.) do you use?

Does the LP show signs of discharge during playback like a load pop or small pockets of dust debris mysteriously showing up every so often on the playing surface when you look at it after the record is finished playing?

It sounds like dry air induced static along with possible vinyl-to-platter assisted buildup but try this:

Use a damp cloth to wipe the platter between record changes to help remove a residual charge that may be remaining on the platter from the last record. After playing the next record see if the static is reduced in intensity.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Three more questions and a test to try...

Are you using any aftermarket turntable mats on the unit?

What cleaning fluids, cleaning procedure, and cleaner type (vacuum, etc.) do you use?

Does the LP show signs of discharge during playback like a load pop or small pockets of dust debris mysteriously showing up every so often on the playing surface when you look at it after the record is finished playing?

It sounds like dry air induced static along with possible vinyl-to-platter assisted buildup but try this:

Use a damp cloth to wipe the platter between record changes to help remove a residual charge that may be remaining on the platter from the last record. After playing the next record see if the static is reduced in intensity.

Dre

I used to have the same issue with a VPI TNT. I found that wiping the plinth and platter down with Static Guard helped a lot. In fact, using Static Guard removed a background grain from the sound.

Guess the other suggestion might be putting a humidifier in the room?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
My TNT is a static generator. as Dre noted, your basis may have a ground lug attached to the bearing housing that will help (my 'table does). the problem is exacerbated with 'tables using an acrylic plinth/platter and no natural ground path - this is separate from the arm ground. you probably had less static with the scout's plinth as its a sandwich of MDF and metal plate which gives the platter/spindle/bearing someplace to discharge static.

Last edited:

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
I have noticed that there is a good amount of static electricity when I take the record off the platter. I can't say for sure that is more than with my Scoutmaster, but it seems that way. I do use a zerostat.

Are there any things others do to minimize the static?

I owned a Basis 2800 vacuum turntable for many years. It is among the highest fidelity commercially available products for the playback on vinyl records.

Regarding the static issue, I too suffered this for a time with massive discharges which resulted in loud popping sounds through the speakers. In the end, after MUCH chasing my tail, I discovered that the earth/grounding lug on the Audia Flight Phono (my phono preamplifier at the time) was not actually connected to earth but rather just to the chassis. As soon as I connected the Basis bearing's silver grounding lead to a household AC outlet (with only the earth pin connected) the static discharge problem was completely gone! I sold the Audia Flight shortly after, moved to a Lamm LP2 Deluxe and never looked back.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What you guys are all describing is what I am experiencing. Now that we are heading into warmer weather in the NE this issue should certainly lessen. I will try some of the ideas mentioned. Thanks for all your responses.

oldears

Jun 8, 2014
I owned a Basis 2800 vacuum turntable for many years. It is among the highest fidelity commercially available products for the playback on vinyl records.

Regarding the static issue, I too suffered this for a time with massive discharges which resulted in loud popping sounds through the speakers. In the end, after MUCH chasing my tail, I discovered that the earth/grounding lug on the Audia Flight Phono (my phono preamplifier at the time) was not actually connected to earth but rather just to the chassis. As soon as I connected the Basis bearing's silver grounding lead to a household AC outlet (with only the earth pin connected) the static discharge problem was completely gone! I sold the Audia Flight shortly after, moved to a Lamm LP2 Deluxe and never looked back.

That's interesting, I have recently upgraded from SimAudio 5.3 RS/PSX to the Audiaflight, and have noticed quite severe static discharges on queuing up the records, felt it was something to do with the AudiaFlight. Your observation confirms this. Is there a way around more elegant than connecting a separate earth? I'm not averse to connecting a wire from the earth lug to the earth on the mains inlet. It doesn't seem to happen after the initial pops on queuing, I fear for the coils on my cartridge!

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
jdcohendmd I have the Debut vacuum 5 and recently changed the Vector arm to the Super 9. This was the biggest upgrade I ever did in all of my hifi upgrades. I could not believe how much better the tonality became richer, much more transparent , more dynamic , and more bass weight. I am using the ZYX ultimate 2 cartridge with the Aesthetix Io best phono upgrades and dual mono power supplies. My ZYX has 40 hours on it so I'm expecting even better sound when I hit the 100 hour mark. I have not even fine tuned VTA yet.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have a Basis 2200 TT. Which side of the belt should face out, shiny or dull? I can't remember and mine got twisted changing from 33 to 45.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I don't know if any of you ever experience this but periodically I get a small popping sound from the turntable. I can't tell if is from the hydrolic pistons or the record clamp. It is odd. It definitely isn't electrical. It is definitely physical if that makes sense.

I think it is static electricity. I wiped everything with an anti-static cloth and everything is quiet. I have noticed that when I take the record off the platter there is a lot if status electricity.

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I don't know if any of you ever experience this but periodically I get a small popping sound from the turntable. I can't tell if is from the hydrolic pistons or the record clamp. It is odd. It definitely isn't electrical. It is definitely physical if that makes sense.

I think it is static electricity. I wiped everything with an anti-static cloth and everything is quiet. I have noticed that when I take the record off the platter there is a lot if status electricity.

I don't think I've experienced any of this with long-term use on any of my Basis tables. Are you still having issues or have you figured out what was going on?

Dre

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I don't think I've experienced any of this with long-term use on any of my Basis tables. Are you still having issues or have you figured out what was going on?

Dre

Since I suspected it was static I have done 2 things. I have been wiping down the platter every 4-5 records with an anti-static cloth. In addition, I ran a humidifier in the room for 4 hours. The combination of these 2 have eliminated the issue. I did notice after listening to several records I felt and heard static electricity when I remove the record. I just don't get why it is building up so much.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Since I suspected it was static I have done 2 things. I have been wiping down the platter every 4-5 records with an anti-static cloth. In addition, I ran a humidifier in the room for 4 hours. The combination of these 2 have eliminated the issue. I did notice after listening to several records I felt and heard static electricity when I remove the record. I just don't get why it is building up so much.

Glad you have it under control.

Re buildup: A few thoughts...
- There may be a residual charge residing on the table somewhere. To remedy this, you can try removing the platter, wiping down the base on both sides, and doing the same with the platter. If you are using the anti-static cloth, try to find a ground point to stay connected to while you do this so the charge is drained away.

- One other trick is to try whipping down the turntable base and the side/bottom/top of platter with Static Guard spray. If you are feeling cautious about this, try everything except the top of the platter first.

Hope this helps,
Dre

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
As of today, my new Basis Super Arm 9 will arrive . It's replacing a Vector 4 tonearm, that was on my Debut table. Counting the minutes for delivery!!!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
to all Basis (or potential) owners:
I purchased my Basis Ovation in 1991 and have had it ever since without any sorts of problems.
the Ovation is a design piece of industrial art imo and sounds very balanced and tight
After a short dialogue with Mr.Conti I had it over for a full signature upgrade last year and even if it cost a substantial chunk, it was worth all of it:
more silenced background, even tighter and deeper bass and better resolution.
Not many other of todays TT manufacturors have this kind of service and not to speak of "engineering pride"
AJ Conti is a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.
Together with the Airtangent Reference, it looks and sounds fantastic.
Despite the weight of the armbase I have no problem balancing the suspension or its action.
Together they are among those products that never will be replaced
What better compliment can a restless audiophile/music lover give to a manufacturor?
best
Leif

bdks23

Apr 8, 2015
I stumbled upon this forum when doing some research about my newly acquired Basis Turntable. I picked up a older Debut Gold Standard with a Graham Phantom arm and a Lyra Titan cartridge. I dont have much time on it yet, but so far I am blown away. The table is in excellent condition. I plan to order a new belt just for good measure. I may also look into doing the signature upgrades to it in the future. Has anyone here done the upgrades to an older table? If so was there a big difference in performance?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I stumbled upon this forum when doing some research about my newly acquired Basis Turntable. I picked up a older Debut Gold Standard with a Graham Phantom arm and a Lyra Titan cartridge. I dont have much time on it yet, but so far I am blown away. The table is in excellent condition. I plan to order a new belt just for good measure. I may also look into doing the signature upgrades to it in the future. Has anyone here done the upgrades to an older table? If so was there a big difference in performance?

see my #57
executive summary: WELL SPENT $

best
Leif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing