Basis turntables

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
It is great to hear all the positive reviews. I should be getting my Basis 2200 signature with the calibration base and Vector 4 tonearm on Saturday. I am really looking forward to this weekend.

Congratulations.

I didn't see it mentioned in your purchase post but if you haven't already, try the Basis reflex clamp on your 2200. You may find you like the sound even better with it. Your dealer may have one on hand and make sure he has the O-ring for the spindle when you use/try it.

Hope you enjoy your purchase.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes. There are Work of Art owners. I think Myles had been to visit one or two of them.

No must be thinking of someone else. :) At least not that I can remember :(

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
if I heard correctly, Randy Cooley owns the WOA in Peter's vid. if so, maybe it'll show up again at this years Newport show.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yep. It was someone else. I got mixed up with my names. Myles, Larry, and Fred all sound the same. :)

Dre

Oh man, now you're making us sound like the Three Stooges! :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I finally got my Basis 2200 with the calibration base and Vector 4 tonearm. It took me about 45 minutes to set it up at home after Audio Connections had it completely set up at the store. This is the quietest TT I have ever heard. The background is dead silent. The detail is pristine and the bass is deep and tight. Needless to say, I am thrilled.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I finally got my Basis 2200 with the calibration base and Vector 4 tonearm. It took me about 45 minutes to set it up at home after Audio Connections had it completely set up at the store. This is the quietest TT I have ever heard. The background is dead silent. The detail is pristine and the bass is deep and tight. Needless to say, I am thrilled.

Congrats on the new baby. It's amazing how much of a difference a great front-end can make eg. we tend to blame the rest of the system for the faults of the front-end! Bet those Vandys have never sounded so good!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This is the best my system has ever sounded. Vinyl heaven.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This is the best my system has ever sounded. Vinyl heaven.

Congratulations. Once it is properly set up, vinyl is really something special. You just referred to one of the most critical aspects - the dead silent background, the absence of vinyl tracking noises.

Since you have the Vandersteen 5A's, do you know what is the difference between the 5A and the 5A Carbon?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Congratulations. Once it is properly set up, vinyl is really something special. You just referred to one of the most critical aspects - the dead silent background, the absence of vinyl tracking noises.

Since you have the Vandersteen 5A's, do you know what is the difference between the 5A and the 5A Carbon?

I believe that the mid-range drivers are different with the carbon model.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks. Is there a possible upgrade?

Yes. It is supposed to be limited to original owners, but my guess is that a local dealer could help you out with this.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

congrats:cool:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have had the joy of listening to the Basis 2200 for a month now and it is everything I had hoped it would be. The background is so quiet it is crazy. Everything sounds so good.

I have noticed that there is a good amount of static electricity when I take the record off the platter. I can't say for sure that is more than with my Scoutmaster, but it seems that way. I do use a zerostat.

Are there any things others do to minimize the static?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ground yourself against something metal on your equipment rack before you touch your table and LP.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ground yourself against something metal on your equipment rack before you touch your table and LP.

I always do that. I am referring more to what I hear when I lift the record off the platter. I can hear the static attraction...at least that's what I think it is.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I have had the joy of listening to the Basis 2200 for a month now and it is everything I had hoped it would be. The background is so quiet it is crazy. Everything sounds so good.

I have noticed that there is a good amount of static electricity when I take the record off the platter. I can't say for sure that is more than with my Scoutmaster, but it seems that way. I do use a zerostat.

Are there any things others do to minimize the static?

Just a couple questions to help me understand what's happening.

Is this consistent with every record you play or intermittent?

Does it seem to change based on weather and humidity or is it always there?

Is the bearing ground lead attached to the bottom of the bearing and grounded?

Are you using the Basis reflex clamp to help keep the record coupled to the platter?

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing