Basis turntables

bdks23

Apr 8, 2015
see my #57
executive summary: WELL SPENT $

I read through this whole thread and somehow missed the answer to my question just two posts above :eek: oops.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you are happy with the result of the signature upgrade. I plan to use the table as it is for a while, but hope to upgrade in the future.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
I have one sitting on the table behind me. I have had some memory loss so it may be a 2000? One of the better range but many better ones. No I cannot just look at it as it is still in the box from my move. I am still waiting for my friends to set it up as I have had a brain tumor and lost my coordination. I liked my modified LP12 better but the Basis was very good. I was a VPI dealer and they were also good. Among the good tables it is a matter of taste. Two of my friends had Ravens and they were very good. A very massive sound but not as light footed as the Linn. I have tried vacuum and it is some help but also a pain to use. If you do not clean the record every time you may press the dirt on the table into the record.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
to all Basis (or potential) owners:
I purchased my Basis Ovation in 1991 and have had it ever since without any sorts of problems.
the Ovation is a design piece of industrial art imo and sounds very balanced and tight
After a short dialogue with Mr.Conti I had it over for a full signature upgrade last year and even if it cost a substantial chunk, it was worth all of it:
more silenced background, even tighter and deeper bass and better resolution.
Not many other of todays TT manufacturors have this kind of service and not to speak of "engineering pride"
AJ Conti is a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.
Together with the Airtangent Reference, it looks and sounds fantastic.
Despite the weight of the armbase I have no problem balancing the suspension or its action.
Together they are among those products that never will be replaced
What better compliment can a restless audiophile/music lover give to a manufacturor?
best
Leif

+1

A friend of mine who for over 20 years was a prominent member of the New Jersey Audiophile Society had then and still has a Basis Audio Debut which he has had A.J. upgrade over time. My friend still loves his Basis.

I have gotten to know A.J. very well, both in person and over the telephone and e-mail, and in addition to being a true gentleman I think he is also a unique and fascinating combination of hard-core engineer combined with a musician's artistic sensibility.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At T.H.E. Show Newport (in Irvine) last month A.J. debuted a new platter option for the Work of Art and the Inspiration. He is always striving to improve his designs.

IMG_1611.JPG

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Impressive. I hope there is a trickle down to the Signature series. Looking at a basis 2200 in the next 6-9 months.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
When I needed a belt I called them and got him himself. As we are a couple of lifers in audio we had a long talk about the men we had known in the old days. He ask me if I would like to be a dealer but as I was then in my declining years I could not take up the offer although I would have liked to. Also I was the only high end TT dealer in Louisville the market was very small. I had VPI which had more products at the lower end of the market. I doubt if I sold a dozen in 2 years. I spent 30 years as a home dealer and could get most lines as there were no one near in the backwoods. I was a Krell dealer when Atlanta didn't have one. I just say this to reming you how small and specialized the high end market is. Another time I was at the old Chicago CES and bought all the speakers Monitor Audio brought over. Made the Canadian importer as he wanted to pick and chose among them. Not that many as I was able to rent a 8x5 u haul to get them home. I had a chance to be the importer but Knoxville is not an ideal place for an importer. Someone from Calif took them on and I think I got most of the ones I brought in. Forgive an old man for babbling. I think mine is the O Ovation also. The problem is that I have holes in my memory even though I remember the damdest things.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
A mate of mine had the Debut vacuum with Vector arm - completely up to date around 3 years ago.

He then heard a Grand Prix Monaco. He had both tables for a few months but sold the basis the Monaco sounded a lot better.

Cheers

thekong

May 10, 2012
Hi Ron,

Can't be sure looking at the photo, is that new optional platter made of metal? Thanks!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
All I know is that the top surface of the platter is made of some material which needs to have its form kept by the metal surround.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Bumping this old thread I started :)

Do any Basis experts have rough details what it would entail to get a Debut from the mid/late 90s up to a more recent spec?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
5 years old thread...
anyhow , I am just enjoying a Basis Debut Gold Standard as a new arrival in my classic turntable corner, very nice turntable :)

IMG_7923.jpg IMG_7921.jpg IMG_7926.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
just sold my Basis Ovation sign which has served me great since new in 1991
had it to AJ just before he passed away...fantastic table...a lucky Dane got it for his collection
now Im a Melco man after looking for one for 40 years.....
enjoy
best
Leif

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing