Trinity's claims vs. what actually happens in digital

Anatta

Apr 10, 2014
I'm uncertain as to what you refer to by "digital+analog oversampling" with respect to Trinity's reconstruction filter implementation. Are you saying that Trinity also utilize some digital reconstruction filter?

Yes, see http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12023-Trinity-DAC&p=243849&viewfull=1#post243849

Setting the above question aside for the moment, with oversampled interpolation the ultrasonic image bands will still be present, but shifted up in frequency by a factor equal to the oversampling ratio. So, while the typical analog filter can be designed to have a lessor subjective impact on the audio band frequencies, it should still be present in some form.

But if the digital oversampling ratio is high enough can you go without the analog filter?

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
Yes, see http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12023-Trinity-DAC&p=243849&viewfull=1#post243849

But if the digital oversampling ratio is high enough can you go without the analog filter?

I had not seen that chart before. It likely has big implications for both the impulse and frequency response of the Trinity DAC, regardless of the use of LIANOTEC. Do you know of any published measurements of those two parameters for the Trinity DAC?

If the oversampling ratio is high enough, the analog filtering will effectively be performed by the parasitic circuit capacitance presented by the interconnects. Aiding this filtering is that the oversampled image bands are also strongly suppressed by a frequency domain masking profile stemming from D/A converter sample-and-hold operation. So, yes, then you wouldn't require a dedicated analog filter. However, it would be good practice to include at least a benign first order low pass analog filter, rather than leave effective filtering to chance. The primary technical concern behind filtering away the undesired ultrasonic image bands is to remove the possibility of their being inter-modulated down to within the audio band.

Anatta

Apr 10, 2014
I had not seen that chart before. It likely has big implications for both the impulse and frequency response of the Trinity DAC, regardless of the use of LIANOTEC. Do you know of any published measurements of those two parameters for the Trinity DAC?

Check the manual @ p 28-29 for frequency response, image suppression and impulse response for the 2 digital filters available, DF1 & DF2, and LIANOTEC.

www.trinity-ed.de/typo/fileadmin/template/bilder/dac/DAC_Manual_2013.pdf

The primary technical concern behind filtering away the undesired ultrasonic image bands is to remove the possibility of their being inter-modulated down to within the audio band.

Probably the filtering is more critical with DS DACs due to out of band noise which the R2R DACs don't have (correct me if I'm wrong) and this may be a reason for which Trinity selected the 1704 chip.

If the oversampling pushes the first image bands way beyond the amplifier bandwidth would it still matter? That's what Trinity claims with its 8x digital + 8x analog oversamplig (manual p 16)

The Weiss Medus for example uses the Sabre 9018 which oversamples to 1.536Mhz (as Trinity does to 192kHz signals), but after the conversion it also has a 3rd order analog filter. So maybe the problem with commercially available DS DACs is that they don't accept high enough sample rates to get away only with digital filtering. And then you would also need a custom digital filter that would mimic the response of the LIANOTEC, if that is possible.

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
Check the manual @ p 28-29 for frequency response, image suppression and impulse response for the 2 digital filters available, DF1 & DF2, and LIANOTEC...

What I conclude from my reading of the Trinity DAC manual is, that their sound quality is not primarily due to linear interpolation - at least, not for source sample rates less than 176KHz. The impulse response graphs clearly depict that linear phase brick wall type digital filters are utilized, one featuring a sharp transition and the other a slow, both apparently in a hybrid reconstruction filter scheme utilized in tandem with LIANOTEC. Linear interpolation cannot remove the pre-ringing or post ringing produced by these digital filter functions. I now suspect that much of the Trinity sound character is largely due to other design factors, such as the massive paralleling of D/A converter unit outputs.

Probably the filtering is more critical with DS DACs due to out of band noise which the R2R DACs don't have (correct me if I'm wrong) and this may be a reason for which Trinity selected the 1704 chip.

While delta-sigma conversion generates out-of-band quantization noise, full resolution R-2R type converters (such as in the PCM1704 chip) will still produce strong ultrasonic image bands which must be effectively filtered for correct signal reconstruction.

If the oversampling pushes the first image bands way beyond the amplifier bandwidth would it still matter? That's what Trinity claims with its 8x digital + 8x analog oversamplig (manual p 16)...

It may still matter. At high oversampling ratios, the image bands are essentially feeding RF to the next amplification stage. Unfiltered, this may or may not cause inter-modulation, junction rectification, or common-mode signal coupling problems, depending on how resistant that stage is to RF input.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing