JV's Loudspeakers $20k and Up at CES 2014

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Two out of five are AVShowrooms Gold Show winners.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
love that a mid-market speaker is now 20-40k according to JV.

LOL.

I guess I'll always be a bottom-feeder....... not that I mind one iota!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
He's really misinformed:

"Apparently Arnie Nudell’s Genesis loudspeakers still live, as I heard a Japanese version of the $45k five-way Genesis 4 with dynamic mids, ring-radiator and planar-magnetic tweets, and side-mounted servo-woofers. What a blast from the past! The speaker was a little hot on top with slightly discontinuous bass on Isaac Hayes’ Shaft, all of which, frankly, was also reminiscent of the old days. A hot exciting sound that is not the last word in overall coherence."

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
He's really misinformed:

"Apparently Arnie Nudell’s Genesis loudspeakers still live, as I heard a Japanese version of the $45k five-way Genesis 4 with dynamic mids, ring-radiator and planar-magnetic tweets, and side-mounted servo-woofers. What a blast from the past! The speaker was a little hot on top with slightly discontinuous bass on Isaac Hayes’ Shaft, all of which, frankly, was also reminiscent of the old days. A hot exciting sound that is not the last word in overall coherence."

Can you be more specific? The Arnie part? Genesis Country of origin (Japanese version)? The speaker cost/component complement? The subjective comment on sound? all of the above?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
To clarify this, did JV visit Gary's room and mistake Gary for a Japanese person and not be aware of the history of Genesis since Gary took the company over?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Can you be more specific? The Arnie part? Genesis Country of origin (Japanese version)? The speaker cost/component complement? The subjective comment on sound? all of the above?

Well, Arnie retired in 2006 and was not at CES 2006. Since this is CES 2014, he has not been with us at CES for 9 years. Genesis is made in Seattle. I even posted a picture of us making the G4 on the CNC machine on WBF (or Facebook). He got the cost right. The midrange is planar magnetic, the tweeter is a ring radiator ribbon. May be he remembered the sound of the G5.2 that Arnie last designed in 2005 and expectation bias took over. That was a little hot on top, and the bass was delayed by 180 deg to allow the servo-feedback to catch up......

To clarify this, did JV visit Gary's room and mistake Gary for a Japanese person and not be aware of the history of Genesis since Gary took the company over?

I thought he called me "Arnie" as he shuffled out of the room - he's aged a great deal since I last remember talking to him (RMAF 2005 when he tried to break my speakers - the G2.2's in the huge room).

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Well, Arnie retired in 2006 and was not at CES 2006. Since this is CES 2014, he has not been with us at CES for 9 years. Genesis is made in Seattle. I even posted a picture of us making the G4 on the CNC machine on WBF (or Facebook). He got the cost right. The midrange is planar magnetic, the tweeter is a ring radiator ribbon. May be he remembered the sound of the G5.2 that Arnie last designed in 2005 and expectation bias took over. That was a little hot on top, and the bass was delayed by 180 deg to allow the servo-feedback to catch up......

I thought he called me "Arnie" as he shuffled out of the room - he's aged a great deal since I last remember talking to him (RMAF 2005 when he tried to break my speakers - the G2.2's in the huge room).

Gary I figured it was the "Made in" part but Bruce's post left me somewhat perplexed.

I'm sure if you send him a note, he'll edit that and add Seattle. Likewise with the upper midrange driver.

BTW: if it's not a trade secret, where does the smaller dynamic cones below the mid-planar begin to play in the frequency spectrum?

Thanks,
Dre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
This was the assumption I made as well (about JV, that is)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-Have any other reviewers publically commented on the sound of your speakers at CES?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary-Have any other reviewers publically commented on the sound of your speakers at CES?

Not as far as I know. If jap hadn't pointed this out, I would have missed it.

There were a few WBF members who visited, but this year was really, really slow. We could have closed the first and the last day and it wouldn't have made a difference. The Genesis Candy Index was about 30% down from last year. By the last day, we still had 2 unopened bags of candy.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Not as far as I know. If jap hadn't pointed this out, I would have missed it.

There were a few WBF members who visited, but this year was really, really slow. We could have closed the first and the last day and it wouldn't have made a difference. The Genesis Candy Index was about 30% down from last year. By the last day, we still had 2 unopened bags of candy.

Bummer. I wonder how much of the low attendance was due to the very bad weather and flight cancellations across the U.S. and how much was attributable to the Munich show now reigning supreme over CES?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing