Hello from the boonies

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
A music lover/audiophile since 1960. Retired in 2003, but am busier than ever running the ranch, being a home based dealer, and soon to be part time city (SF) dweller. Actually, we lived in San Francisco for many years (1968-91), including a two year sailing odyssey (1978-80) to the South Pacific on a 40' ketch. Music interests run from Glen Gould/Bach to opera, country (Hank Williams/Patsy Cline/Willie) to blues lieder and SRV. I look forward to to attending the Symphony at Davies Hall. Also an 'audio evangelist' and planar lover, Was recently asked on another forum if I was "a former snake-oil salesman in the circus?"!

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome to the WBF, MtnHam. I believe that you will find this forum holds itself to a higher caliber than most, we hope you feel right at home here.

Tom

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Thanks Don. Actually, you are correct on two counts. I am a ham radio operator (K6ABC) and a trapper of wild pigs on my mountain ranch. We are located at 1800', about 2 miles from the Pacific near where the Russian River (Sonoma County) inters the ocean. There is a 5 mile private gravel ranch road that climbs from Hwy 1 to the top of the 1st ridge and our home, where we have a 60 mile inland view.
RusGulch.jpg
Russian Gulch (pictured) is where Russian settlers made their landing in 1812 and established a settlement at nearby Ft. Ross for the purpose of farming to provide food to their Alaskan settlements. Wikipedia has an excellent writeup if you wish to read more:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ross,_California

We are on 45 acres, but surrounded by open space, not much different than the early days of California when it was part of Spanish Mexico. With a world class audio system, a solar heated swimming pool, and many other amenities, the Russians never had it even 1/16th as good!

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Very nice! Been many years since I drove through Sonoma County. My view is through trees, not nearly as open. I was once a ham but let my license lapse ages ago. Maybe when I retire. My house sits at about 7500' but on a much smaller lot (coupla' acres). I can see Pikes Peak through the trees.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What a view!!!

Tom

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Welcome aboard! This is the best forum on the net, period :)

BTW, what is your (real) name?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Thanks Peter. The name is Tom.
Here are 2 photos of my main system-
U-1PX.jpg another view.jpg

and my 2nd system with Majestic 945PX panels in the barn/shop-
Maj945PX.jpg

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Hi Tom,

Looks GREAT!

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Soundlabs and ARC? Nice match... Is that your garage, or did you need an extra-large door to get all the goodies in? :)

Here are the system details:

Ayre KX-R pre, MX-R amps
SME 20/2 table SME V arm
Sota Star Saphire table, SME IV.Vi arm
Dynavector XV1-S, Sumiko Celebration,
Koetsu Black & Rosewood Signature cartridges
ARC Ref-2SE phono
Marantz SA-11S2 SACD player
MacMini server, Wavelength Crimson DAC
Skywire cables throughout, most IC's balanced
SoundLab Majestic 945PX, SoundLab Ultimate-1PX
electrostatic speakers

Here is a photo of the main house with garage which is too full of 'stuff' to park cars. The PV system is 6.5Kw:
solarcat.jpg

The barn/shop is for the toys:
barn:Kubota.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tom,

Well, your SoundLab's are much larger than mine ... Great pictures!

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Hi Tom
Thanks for sharing your wonderful system & gorgeous home. I would love to hear all about your sailing adventures down under when you get a second. Sounds a wonderful time to have done it.

Best Wishes
Andrew

Particapant

Apr 17, 2014
Thanks Don. Actually, you are correct on two counts. I am a ham radio operator (K6ABC) and a trapper of wild pigs on my mountain ranch. We are located at 1800', about 2 miles from the Pacific near where the Russian River (Sonoma County) inters the ocean. There is a 5 mile private gravel ranch road that climbs from Hwy 1 to the top of the 1st ridge and our home, where we have a 60 mile inland view.
View attachment 13467
Russian Gulch (pictured) is where Russian settlers made their landing in 1812 and established a settlement at nearby Ft. Ross for the purpose of farming to provide food to their Alaskan settlements. Wikipedia has an excellent writeup if you wish to read more:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ross,_California

We are on 45 acres, but surrounded by open space, not much different than the early days of California when it was part of Spanish Mexico. With a world class audio system, a solar heated swimming pool, and many other amenities, the Russians never had it even 1/16th as good!

Welcome Tom:

Not much more a man could want for, outside of a wonderful mate!

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Welcome Tom. Very nice house and a great view together with a gorgeous system setup.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Wow that is some spectacular scenery that you live in ,gorgeous , and a great system off course , these soundlab panels are big .:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing