Analog Rant

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I can name you a half-dozen dealers in Toronto, within an hour's drive or so, that still do TT/Cart setups.
I can name you at least the same number , if not close to double, the number of good quality record shops that have excellent product to avail yourself to.
You don't have to have 2,000 LP's to have a good collection. Most of those are likely just sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Better to cull and seek out some others.

Is it still set up by the time you make the half hour drive back home?

Gotta love this thread; not only is it argument bait, it is an attack on individuals from the first post. If we believed in our own rules, this one would have been close as soon as it opened.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is it still set up by the time you make the half hour drive back home?

Gotta love this thread; not only is it argument bait, it is an attack on individuals from the first post. If we believed in our own rules, this one would have been close as soon as it opened.

Good question. I can do it myself, so I've had no need for the service, but I would think not to 100%. If I were to upgrade to a much better setup I would have it done at home and pay for it (if needed).

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
I can name you a half-dozen dealers in Toronto, within an hour's drive or so, that still do TT/Cart setups.
I can name you at least the same number , if not close to double, the number of good quality record shops that have excellent product to avail yourself to.
You don't have to have 2,000 LP's to have a good collection. Most of those are likely just sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Better to cull and seek out some others.

That is definitely not true of Chicago, Milwaukee, or the Twin Cities. I can not stand any noise, pops, or clicks on my vinyl playback. I must be more discerning than you!

I never get "spot on" turntable setup unless I do the setup myself. And yes, I have had dealers do setups in the 70's and 80's that were very poor!

1500 to 2000 lp's gives you "choice" and "variety" to fit the mood at the time. I do cull stuff, that I do not care for, or get sick of.

Why listen to the same recordings over and over? I have "varied" and "vast" musical tastes, that cover decades, like most music lovers.

I also listen 2 or 3 hours every weekday, more on the weekend.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That is definitely not true of Chicago, Milwaukee, or the Twin Cities. I can not stand any noise, pops, or clicks on my vinyl playback. I must be more discerning than you!

I never get "spot on" turntable setup unless I do the setup myself. And yes, I have had dealers do setups in the 70's and 80's that were very poor!

1500 to 2000 lp's gives you "choice" and "variety" to fit the mood at the time. I do cull stuff, that I do not care for, or get sick of.

Why listen to the same recordings over and over? I have "varied" and "vast" musical tastes, that cover decades, like most music lovers.

I'm quite discerning actually, but I'm also realistic. I mean, with a collection that I started in the 60's, there are obviously a number that don't play to a pristine level any longer. However, I still play them as I enjoy the music. I wish I could replace all of those with better, but that's a pipe dream, so I just accept it.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
The OP has a point but 2 wrongs don't make a right. Never ceases to amaze that a group of people will spend endless amounts of time trashing what they don't subscribe to. Would assume most of that original disparagement was used to sell things to keep them in business. Now they are seeing another trend and hopping back on. Why the need to flaunt the superiority of one over the other, when most of us have both (all 3 when HT is lumped in) in our system? Many of the reason I have a turntable have nothing to do with it being better than digital but unless I want to live in an audio world with only classic recordings from the 70s and earlier I need a way to play digital in my system.

I don't have an issue with those who trashed analog coming back into the ecosystem. The more the merrier and hopefully we'll again push the envelope for better sound no matter the source.

I loved listening to Win's TT and wouldn't be adverse to him dropping off a demo for my system, but I've also heard the DCS Vivaldi stack and the same rules apply. To me one is not "better" than the other they are just different. Now if you ask me which I prefer that's another story.

I think it's time for people to separate their belief(analog vs digital superiority) from their religion(audio).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Brian Walsh of Essential Audio in Chicago does as good a setup as anyone around.

Doesn't DreJ do setups too for people?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
You can say that again. I got my basic 2000 LP collection before the fashion trend swung too much, now it is two to six decent ones at the thrifts a year, if that.

However, I still have piles I haven't listened through yet and some I forgot I bought, so I have plenty.

Carl - you have a heck of an LP library!

yawg

Mar 29, 2014
I've bought my first HiFi in 1968, the top Dual TT then, a Sansui amp, an Akai X-field tape deck and custom built Heco speakers. Been experimenting and upgrading until a few years back. Playing vinyl all the time on a nearly daily basis, I have a collection of only 850 LPs but that's enough for me ...

Since 1975 I use the same TT, an Empire Troubador I bought new then. Only had to change the belt three times up to now. A great thing happened lately. When I first destroyed my Dynavector XX-2 Mk II I fell back on my DV Karat 23RS van den Hul modified, also with great sound. Then that one started to distort - I was very unhappy because my financial situation now is in the toilet ...

I dug up the original cartridge of my Empire and - lo and behold - the 4000 DIII still plays magnificently. Better dynamics even than my Dynas. That thing is almost 40 years old!

So much for "progress". A lot of hype going on ...

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Yes Win I was standing across from her when she said that in Ralph Karsten's room--Jim Aud and another gentleman was present-- did she repeat it in your room too-- great!

BD

I remember that. Sorry about the lens distortion from my phone. LPchich.JPG

Boy, I wish I had your luck at not having to return LP's Myles. I just sent back 3 of 6 because of a scratch, and two for noisy pressings. I could easily name you a dozen presings that were absolutely the worst I have ever heard and their mostly newer releases. My biggest diappointment was my Rickie Lee Jones- POP POP 2-LP from Alto. What a mess. Clearly it must have been the last pressing on a worn out stamper. It certainly makes me wonder about quality control.

I've had good luck too. Not had to return an album in 30 years.

The Twin Cities and Chicago have good record stores. Don't know about Milwaukee. Brian Walsh does very good arm setup in the Chicago area. Seems to me Wally still does arm setups in the Twin Cities and I might be mistaken but I thought that Tri Mai of Triplanar has done that too.

FWIW, ticks and pops can be the result of equipment behavior; preamps can exacerbate ticks that you might otherwise not notice, if the cartridge loading is a problem the same thing can happen. It helps too if your equipment has no negative feedback- that can contribute to ticks and pops as well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I remember that. Sorry about the lens distortion from my phone. View attachment 15257

I've had good luck too. Not had to return an album in 30 years.

The Twin Cities and Chicago have good record stores. Don't know about Milwaukee. Brian Walsh does very good arm setup in the Chicago area. Seems to me Wally still does arm setups in the Twin Cities and I might be mistaken but I thought that Tri Mai of Triplanar has done that too.

FWIW, ticks and pops can be the result of equipment behavior; preamps can exacerbate ticks that you might otherwise not notice, if the cartridge loading is a problem the same thing can happen. It helps too if your equipment has no negative feedback- that can contribute to ticks and pops as well.

Spent a half hour speaking on the phone with Lynn yesterday. What a nice lady!

She has a real surprise hopefully coming out for audiophiles this year!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing