Analog Rant

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You know what I love seeing and reading post-CES? All these clowns who were the first to ditch the medium when perfect sound arrived now jumping back on the analog bandwagon! Duh, and now you have brilliant ideas on how to save analog? It don't need saving boys. We never abandoned it and kept it alive. People like Hobson, Kassem and other software manufacturers kept it alive. Not you now or ever. You all remind me of the story Harry Weisfeld tells about the digital manufacturer who in the mid-80s who looked at him and said, "what are you going to be doing in five years?" Well that digital manufacturer is long gone and VPI and other turntable manufacturers continue grow and prosper! In fact, I don't think we've had more high-end turntable manufacturers at any point in time than now!

End of rant!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You know what I love seeing and reading post-CES? All these clowns who were the first to ditch the medium when perfect sound arrived now jumping back on the analog bandwagon! Duh, and now you have brilliant ideas on how to save analog? It don't need saving boys. We never abandoned it and kept it alive. People like Hobson, Kassem and other software manufacturers kept it alive. Not you now or ever. You all remind me of the story Harry Weisfeld tells about the digital manufacturer who in the mid-80s who looked at him and said, "what are you going to be doing in five years?" Well that digital manufacturer is long gone and VPI and other turntable manufacturers continue grow and prosper! In fact, I don't think we've had more high-end turntable manufacturers at any point in time than now!
End of rant!

Myles-I said something very similar to that statement earlier today in the "save the high-end" thread. I don't know if there was ever as many tables, arms, and cartridges for sale as there are today in the entire history of the high-end. I never abandoned analog when digital arrived on the scene because I knew which one sounded way better.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Ah, boys...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
So much for the analog rant, how about the analog rave?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm VERY PLEASED that those "clowns" ditched the medium...allowed me to pick up tons of great LP's at give away prices. Wish they would do the same thing again, LOL.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm VERY PLEASED that those "clowns" ditched the medium...allowed me to pick up tons of great LP's at give away prices. Wish they would do the same thing again, LOL.

You can say that again. I got my basic 2000 LP collection before the fashion trend swung too much, now it is two to six decent ones at the thrifts a year, if that.

However, I still have piles I haven't listened through yet and some I forgot I bought, so I have plenty.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Not so much a rant, but an observation. It is interesting that there is an abundance of turntable manufacturers at the same point in time that digital is coming of age with high-res files, along with new DACs providing filters for digital artifacts.

My feeling is there will be a shakeout in the turntable market as sales peak, and then start to decline as new owners soon tire of cleaning records, dealing with defective vinyl, and all the other associated hassles of analog. Couple that with prospective owners who then decide that the sound and convenience of digital is a much wiser decision than it was even a few years ago, and we will see the collapse of the current analog bubble.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not so much a rant, but an observation. It is interesting that there is an abundance of turntable manufacturers at the same point in time that digital is coming of age with high-res files, along with new DACs providing filters for digital artifacts.

My feeling is there will be a shakeout in the turntable market as sales peak, and then start to decline as new owners soon tire of cleaning records, dealing with defective vinyl, and all the other associated hassles of analog. Couple that with prospective owners who then decide that the sound and convenience of digital is a much wiser decision than it was even a few years ago, and we will see the collapse of the current analog bubble.

I haven't returned a new record in a decade. Biggest problem warps-that if you have a clamp or vacuum hold down-are a non-issue. Hassles? Not with automated cleaning machines that anyone can operate. Other issues?

I think hi -Rez is infinitely harder to use than vinyl, not to mention the technology changes every six months. Not to mention everyone argues what digital cables to use, what to put under the players, etc.

No they said the same thing 30 years ago and look were analog is today and it's not going anywhere. And sales numbers back that.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I live in NYC who has a good vinyl system to listen too
What dealer. ?? It has been so long since I heard
A good vinyl system.

Al

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A good vinyl system.

Al

Al, you're more than welcome to drop by when I finish setting up and break in the new VPI table and get my phono section back. Can also spool up some 15 ips tapes for comparison if you like too. I'm in the UES.

Lyric = VPI + AMG
Innovative = Spiral Groove
Ears Nova = Basis + Linn (?)
Audioarts = Holcombe and Sperling
In Living Stereo = Well Tempered + ?
Singer = Brinkmanship, Clearaudio and VPI
Rhapsody Music and Cinema: Acoustic Signature, Grand Prix and Merrill

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I know those places. Thanks for the list very kind
I can call up mike d at lyric and see what speakers he has in the room
I am an old fan of the infinity IRS sound
So partial to the planners and ribbons

Al

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I haven't had any issues other than perhaps some warpage, which Myles explained is easily a non-issue. It's more than just music though. It's a whole experience and to many that's a very welcome attraction.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

how is what you wrote much different from what they were saying 20-yrs ago?? I came back to vinyl b/c of my dissatisfaction with the 'new' and 'improved' digital, the choice wasn't economic either. I would have a lot more bucks leftover for better hardware by getting my music free off torrent sites rather than paying $50 a pop for 45rpm LPs not to mention the hassle (sometimes extreme) tracking down long OOP LPs and the stoopid money it can cost you.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
A good vinyl system.

Al

Al, you need to get out more. Seriously.

Not to brag, but...
"It hasn't sounded like this since the day I recorded it. It's exactly like I did it." Lyn Stanley in regard to her album being played on a good vinyl setup. Some here may have been present at the time.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You guys all sound like you are trying to convince yourselves about something... ;)

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
You guys all sound like you are trying to convince yourselves about something... ;)

Convincing isn't necessary, but exposure to what is out there is a major factor. Almost anyone can hear the difference when vinyl is done right.

Do you mean live events. Or shops ?

Is this post directed at someone in particular? In the instance I cited, the venue was the studio where the music was recorded.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Convincing isn't necessary, but exposure to what is out there is a major factor. Almost anyone can hear the difference when vinyl is done right.

Is this post directed at someone in particular?

I though it was directed at Rbbert.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Not to brag, but...
"It hasn't sounded like this since the day I recorded it. It's exactly like I did it." Lyn Stanley in regard to her album being played on a good vinyl setup. Some here may have been present at the time.

Yes Win I was standing across from her when she said that in Ralph Karsten's room--Jim Aud and another gentleman was present-- did she repeat it in your room too-- great!

BD

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Not to brag, but...

If you haven't artists say this about their recordings on systems with digital sources, you really don't get out enough, because I've heard that on any number of occasions, and I hardly get out at all!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing