Revel Speakers

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Currently own F52s and I'm looking for opinions from Revel owners on the better upgrade? Studio 2s or Salon 1s? I'm curious as to how the soundstage, ability to disappear, and imaging of the F52s compares to the Studio 2s and Salon 1s?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Have you tried any of the new Performa 3's? They might be worth a listen. I have a pair of 206's with a sub @80hz to flesh out the last octave. They are quite nice as are the 208's which were just too big for my room.

Rob:)

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Have you tried any of the new Performa 3's? They might be worth a listen. I have a pair of 206's with a sub @80hz to flesh out the last octave. They are quite nice as are the 208's which were just too big for my room.

I thought about F208s, but I was told the F52s were overall a better speaker. I don't know because I haven't heard them.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
I presently own F-52's and I would be interested to know what amplification you have used.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I presently own F-52's and I would be interested to know what amplification you have used.

I haven't tried anything other than the Peachtree 220 amplifier...I've only had them for a couple of weeks. I had a system that consisted of Densen electronics and Wilson Audio Sashas. I sold the system with the thought of getting away from music. A couple of weeks ago I decided to set up a simple system that allowed me to hear sound through my television and could be used for 2 channel...Peachtree Audio 220 amp, Peachtree Nova Preamp, NAD 565BEE CD player, and Silver Audio cables. To my surprise, the system sounds more musical and I enjoy it much more than any former system. The F-52s sound so natural to me, I thought I would pursue Studio 2s to serve as the foundation of my system and build from there. I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
I am finding the F-52's to be an excellent value. I am presently using an old Mac 2105 amplifier and an upgrade is actively being researched. I was hoping you may be using tubes and could give some advice if I took that route. So far I know the Revel's have not performed to their full potential in my home.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I am finding the F-52's to be an excellent value. I am presently using an old Mac 2105 amplifier and an upgrade is actively being researched. I was hoping you may be using tubes and could give some advice if I took that route. So far I know the Revel's have not performed to their full potential in my home.

jn229

I've owned many, many speakers and I agree dollar for dollar the F-52s represent an outstanding value. As a matter of fact, I finally understand my preference. I've listened to speakers on the dark side of neutral, forward side of neutral, and I submit the F-52s are as neutral as I've heard. I won't claim them to be the best at anything, but definitely the most musical to my ears. What other electronics have you heard with the F-52s?

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
I'm a little embarrassed, just googled 'Peach Tree 220', I did not know Peach Tree made amplifiers with that much power! Geez 'Ricjor1': I am now understanding your above comments about the sound quality of your system. You seem to have grouped components that can compete above their price points.

To answer your question; I have tried an older pair of Cary mono blocks. With these amps the F-52's thinned out and lost some warmth on the bottom end. Singers and instruments lost weight or richness. The music just did not have the drive it did with the Mac sound. These amps had blown tubes and fuses, they were brought back to life with tubes and fuses that were in house. The tubes were of the same brand but were not matched. I was thinking I might buy these amps (they belong to the brother in law) and have a good tech update/restore them; hoping with new caps and the right tubes they may acquire a better bottom end. Then again my gut tells me solid state may be my most reasonably priced option.

After googling Peach Tree and reading your positive thoughts; I'm thinking maybe the 220 might be a reasonably priced option. Looking forward to opinions and suggestions as this thread progresses.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I just purchased F208s and will have them on 2/12/2014. My plan is to keep them for a year and then get Salon 2s. Looking for suggestions on simple room treatment.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congrats. The F208s with the new waveguide are excellent speakers and beautiful too. Please post a review when you receive them.

On room treatment, the F280s like all of the Revel speakers is designed to have similar tonal qualities on and off-axis. This means you can leave the side reflections there to get wider imaging. So I would start with them bare. Is most of the surface in your room reflective/i.e. hard surfaces? For sure put a carpet on the floor and the thicker the better. Front and back walls are good places for additional absorption. You want to target about 25% of the surfaces covered this way.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Congrats. The F208s with the new waveguide are excellent speakers and beautiful too. Please post a review when you receive them.

On room treatment, the F280s like all of the Revel speakers is designed to have similar tonal qualities on and off-axis. This means you can leave the side reflections there to get wider imaging. So I would start with them bare. Is most of the surface in your room reflective/i.e. hard surfaces? For sure put a carpet on the floor and the thicker the better. Front and back walls are good places for additional absorption. You want to target about 25% of the surfaces covered this way.

My room is 20' x 24' with an 8' ceiling and has carpet. So you're suggesting not to treat the first reflection point? How should I treat the front and back wall?
I will post a review after I had them for a couple of days.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My room is 20' x 24' with an 8' ceiling and has carpet. So you're suggesting not to treat the first reflection point? How should I treat the front and back wall?
I will post a review after I had them for a couple of days.
That's correct. No absorbers at first reflection point.

The standard fiberglass based absorber of at least 4 inches thick would work on those surfaces. That would make them "broadband" which is the key requirement. Start with the front wall and see how you like it.

The above advice is for frequencies above transition (a few hundred hertz). Fixing low frequencies is a lot harder. Start by optimizing the location by placing each speaker at quarter distance from each side. Experiment with your listening position if you have that flexibility to avoid the room modes.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
That's correct. No absorbers at first reflection point.

The standard fiberglass based absorber of at least 4 inches thick would work on those surfaces. That would make them "broadband" which is the key requirement. Start with the front wall and see how you like it.

The above advice is for frequencies above transition (a few hundred hertz). Fixing low frequencies is a lot harder. Start by optimizing the location by placing each speaker at quarter distance from each side. Experiment with your listening position if you have that flexibility to avoid the room modes.
I received them today and my initial thoughts are as follows:

F208s are cleaner and more dynamic, they F52s image better...wider and deeper soundstage

Unless the F208s change, I'll be disappointed and wish I would have kept the F52s

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I received them today and my initial thoughts are as follows:

F208s are cleaner and more dynamic, they F52s image better...wider and deeper soundstage

Unless the F208s change, I'll be disappointed and wish I would have kept the F52s

A little premature with my disappointment...I moved them 8" closer to the front wall, about a foot more between each speaker and moved my listening position 1'.. I let them play all day today and despite what some say, the sound has definitely changed. The imaging is so much better now! The imaging is now on par with the F52s, but the clarity and dynamics are pretty impressive. I'm going to continue to move them a little, before I decide to spike them. Hopefully spiking them will bring further improvements.:b

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I feel Revels, in general, can benefit from small movements in positioning. Give them time to break in and tweak away.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Now I need a little help...if I move my head a little the image wonders. How do I correct an unstable image? Is image affected more by toe-in or distance between speakers?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I play with both toe-in and distance. I would try getting a little closer to see if it solidifies and go from there. When I fist powered mine up I had the same reaction as far as the imaging. They seem a bit more natural as in not as pinpoint. I have the 206's but with identical top ends I would expect similar imaging

Last edited:

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I play with both toe-in and distance. I would try getting a little closer to see if it solidifies and go from there. When I fist powered mine up I had the same reaction as far as the imaging. They seem a bit more natural as in not as pinpoint. I have the 206's but with identical top ends I would expect similar imaging

I'm still playing with the positioning. How far apart are yours and how big is your room?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
They are in a 15" wide by 15 ft long room. The wall behind me opens up into 10' opening into a small dining room goes back another 12 feet or so. I have staircase on one sidewall and a fireplace on the opposite. They are 10.5" from the back-wall 6 feet apart centered on the 15" wall. Lot's of side space away from the walls. I listen about 9ft out. They are slightly toed-in about 10 degrees. They sound very good in my room like that and image very well that way.

Took a little while to get them dialed in. Once you do you won't be disappointed.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
As Paul Harvey would say, "now the rest of the story." Well after working closely with Revel's customer service and shipping department I received another pair of F208s today. My first pair weren't properly sealed and never sounded right. I conducted a series of test and Revel agreed to send me a new pair. I really didn't expect much, but right out of the box I knew something was different. Wow! Much more natural, not loud at all, definitely more air. If they don't change at all, I can truly say that I'm finally elated with my decision to sell the F52s. Should I expect any changes? Looking for suggestions on amplifiers...Amir are you out there?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing