Revel Speakers

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
As Paul Harvey would say, "now the rest of the story." Well after working closely with Revel's customer service and shipping department I received another pair of F208s today. My first pair weren't properly sealed and never sounded right. I conducted a series of test and Revel agreed to send me a new pair. I really didn't expect much, but right out of the box I knew something was different. Wow! Much more natural, not loud at all, definitely more air. If they don't change at all, I can truly say that I'm finally elated with my decision to sell the F52s. Should I expect any changes? Looking for suggestions on amplifiers...Amir are you out there?

Congrats on your F208.

I own the Studio2 and have some thoughts about placement and upgrades. The Studio2s (and likely the F208) are not fussy about placement but will reward careful placement and room treatment. In my room (13' x 24'), the Studio2s like to be about 4' from the front wall with a small amount of toe-in. Spikes are essential, and after-market footers are even better (eg. Stillpoints Ultra SS).

Since the F208 and Studio2 have bass response below 40Hz, it's worthwhile to consider bass traps and/or panels. The Studio2s have excellent Beryllium tweeters with good dispersion. The extended treble response got better with a combination of absorption and diffusion, not necessarily at the 1st reflection points.

In terms of upgrades, the Studio2 will provide slightly better bass and more extended treble. For example, the glockenspiel on Beck's Sea Change is remarkably clean and realistic. The cabinet is also rigid and quiet. I considered the Salon2 but it's too large for most rooms (including mine), and the deeper bass response requires a really good acoustics.

The Revels are not power hungry, but are good enough to highlight improvements in amplification. I currently use the Pass X250.5 and it doesn't break sweat driving the Studio2. It's a fantastic combo. To get to the next level, I'm looking at the new Pass X250.8 or Audio Research Ref 75.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Now I need a little help...if I move my head a little the image wonders. How do I correct an unstable image? Is image affected more by toe-in or distance between speakers?

I'd say distance between speakers. Looks like you need to move them a little closer together or move your listening position farther.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I have my F206's powered with a pair of Emotiva XPA-1L's which are their class A biased amps. I am also running a subwoofer with them using the active crossover built into my preamp. They cross at 80Hz and take most of the deeper bass out of the F206's and don't drive the amps all that hard. Really nice open sound.

So what exactly was wrong?? I had an issue with a fiberglass bat that had moved in shipping and was blocking one of the ports. I just stuck a dowel in the port and put it back against the back wall of the enclosure. How were yours not sealed properly? Bad gaskets on the drivers??

Rob:)

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I have my F206's powered with a pair of Emotiva XPA-1L's which are their class A biased amps. I am also running a subwoofer with them using the active crossover built into my preamp. They cross at 80Hz and take most of the deeper bass out of the F206's and don't drive the amps all that hard. Really nice open sound.

So what exactly was wrong?? I had an issue with a fiberglass bat that had moved in shipping and was blocking one of the ports. I just stuck a dowel in the port and put it back against the back wall of the enclosure. How were yours not sealed properly? Bad gaskets on the drivers??

Rob:)

Per my conversation with Revel, "the inner cabinet wasn't sealed properly." What ever that means?! All I know is they sound 100% better.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I'd say distance between speakers. Looks like you need to move them a little closer together or move your listening position farther.

That is an old picture and ask you suggest, I have already moved them closer. They are now 9ft apart, as opposed to 12.5 like they were.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Congrats on your F208.

I own the Studio2 and have some thoughts about placement and upgrades. The Studio2s (and likely the F208) are not fussy about placement but will reward careful placement and room treatment. In my room (13' x 24'), the Studio2s like to be about 4' from the front wall with a small amount of toe-in. Spikes are essential, and after-market footers are even better (eg. Stillpoints Ultra SS).

Since the F208 and Studio2 have bass response below 40Hz, it's worthwhile to consider bass traps and/or panels. The Studio2s have excellent Beryllium tweeters with good dispersion. The extended treble response got better with a combination of absorption and diffusion, not necessarily at the 1st reflection points.

In terms of upgrades, the Studio2 will provide slightly better bass and more extended treble. For example, the glockenspiel on Beck's Sea Change is remarkably clean and realistic. The cabinet is also rigid and quiet. I considered the Salon2 but it's too large for most rooms (including mine), and the deeper bass response requires a really good acoustics.

The Revels are not power hungry, but are good enough to highlight improvements in amplification. I currently use the Pass X250.5 and it doesn't break sweat driving the Studio2. It's a fantastic combo. To get to the next level, I'm looking at the new Pass X250.8 or Audio Research Ref 75.

My room is 20' x 26'...are the Salons to big for my room or do you think the Studio 2s would work better. I don't know what to upgrade first. Should I go from F208s to Studio 2s or will going from my current Peachtree 220 amp to a Mark Levinson 532H or Pass X250.5 yield better results?

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
That's correct. No absorbers at first reflection point.

The standard fiberglass based absorber of at least 4 inches thick would work on those surfaces. That would make them "broadband" which is the key requirement. Start with the front wall and see how you like it.

The above advice is for frequencies above transition (a few hundred hertz). Fixing low frequencies is a lot harder. Start by optimizing the location by placing each speaker at quarter distance from each side. Experiment with your listening position if you have that flexibility to avoid the room modes.

Amir,

Will the Parasound Halo A-21 work? How does the Parasound compare to the Mark Levinson 532H? You can send me a PM.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Congrats on your F208.

I know I shouldn't ask this question, but how does the F208s compare to Studio 2s? I really like the airiness and dynamics of the F208s, but was wondering what's gained by going to Studio 2s? I know it's subjective, but how significant are the differences between the F208s and Studio 2s?

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I received my Parasound Halo A-21(replacing Peachtree 220) today. Right out of the box the A-21 just sounds more natural, with much better tonality. Controlled is what keeps coming to mind. I still have the Peachtree Nova preamp, but looking to replace it soon. Any recommendations on where to start? Must be able to allow 2.1 via optical cable.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I know I shouldn't ask this question, but how does the F208s compare to Studio 2s? I really like the airiness and dynamics of the F208s, but was wondering what's gained by going to Studio 2s? I know it's subjective, but how significant are the differences between the F208s and Studio 2s?

I know this is a waaaay late response but what the hell.

I currently own Studio II's and listened to the 208's prior. The 208's are a superb speaker, the Studio II are better across the spectrum and while not 3 times as good ($$ comparison) they are enough to make the jump IMO.

Look at it this way, if you really like the 208's I suspect you'll love the Studio II's. Also expect a 15-20% discount of msrp

IMG_0616.JPG

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I found the f208 to be more musical than the salon 2 in my recent audition. The midrange didn't seem to have any energy and in comparison if the new f228 is voiced like the f208 with the transparency and air of the salon 2 Revel will have a real winner.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I've been tempted more than once to buy the Ultima Salon 2's, especially as the pricing has gotten better.

My only issue is with the high gloss finish. Just haven't been able to get past that.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
I've been tempted more than once to buy the Ultima Salon 2's, especially as the pricing has gotten better.

My only issue is with the high gloss finish. Just haven't been able to get past that.

The Salon 2's are among the best speakers (in terms of musical involvement) that I have worked with. With the right set-up, they punch way above their price point - IMO.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

I wonder if you could get them bead-blasted or something... might make for an interesting finish. Refinishing shouldn't be too hard either.

Fitero

Jan 31, 2016
PNW
The enclosure is easily vinyl wrapped with what ever color and texture that you want. The vinyl tucks quite nicely into the transition to the front baffle. The rest of the wrap is easy, without any reductions in curvature etc. Cheap and reversible.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
The enclosure is easily vinyl wrapped with what ever color and texture that you want. The vinyl tucks quite nicely into the transition to the front baffle. The rest of the wrap is easy, without any reductions in curvature etc. Cheap and reversible.

That is an option I had not considered.

Thanks for the tip.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing